1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

svchost.exe problems

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Gam'ster, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello tpu,
    Ok i have my gf's laptop here and its doin my nut in :banghead:, ill explain.....
    Its a pretty old lappy, cely 2.4ghz, 256 pc 2100 ddr ( running single channel ), 80g hd, winxp sp2
    Model is acer travelmate 240
    Anyway i have it running for about 2 mins after start up and there are 3 instances of svchost.exe running so nothing out of the norm, but then one svchost.exe starts eating memory and cpu, first its 25% then 50% and finnaly 100% and it will grind to a halt, ive tried nod32 and avg both jus grind to a halt become unresponsive and then i have to hit the power to turn it off.
    I have searched tpu and others for similar probs but nothing like this.
    Any ideas or should i just re-install ?

Many thanks
    Gam :rockout:
  2. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Well i rather you reinstall the entire OS. Placing back windows files doesn't seem as easy as it might be something that caused it to halt or probably some extension that crashed it.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    How long does it take to grind to a halt? Is there enough time to check the event log?
  4. lordlatte

lordlatte

Thanks Received:
    this sounds strange, but sometimes one of the svchost errors means windows updates failed at sometime. Have you done updates recently? If they failed recently, you've found your problem, if you haven't done it in awhile, that could also be your problem...That problem is wildly vague, and I have one other solution. I had the exact same problem for something that is just as stupid, I had one of the really old printers plugged in, parallel printer ports or something, long story short, it wasn't plugged into a printer, just the computer, and it made the cpu run at 100% at all times by way of svchost.exe, which is what it said was eating up the entire cpu. If you can find a program that details processes on a deeper level, find out what part of svchost.exe is eating up the cpu. I don't remember what I used, probably tuneup utilities, and it said some little thing was using the cpu, upon googling it, I found out it was the part that controlled the parallel printer port. Anyway, the moral is, find out exactly what is using all the power, more specifically than svchost.exe, then you'll be closer to diagnosing it, oh, and windows update, thats always a good thing to do.
  5. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope not enough time to check event log only takes 30secs or so to get to 100% cpu then thats it , and i updated windows earlier could the recent up dates be it u think ?
    thanks for the quick reply gents
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmm, what about safe mode?
  7. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    no go for safe mode, just stalls while booting into windows :(, im seriously at a loss on this one :)
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    What happens if you try to kill that particular svchost?
  9. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    The operation could not be completed
    access is denied, :confused: lol,
  10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well I never had THAT happen to me. lol. If you kill the wrong svchost, it usually gives you the "System must shut down" error. It kinda sounds like you're infected.

Is there important data on the computer?
  11. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm........ a few word docs i think, she only uses it for word and web browsing :), it was fine till her sister got her chubby fingers on it grrrr, i fear a reinstall upon me :laugh:
  12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    That's the way it sounds. But I have a little trick if you need to pull stuff off of it without using another computer. Do an install of XP, but don't format the drive, reinstall right over top of the old install. Then you can pull the old data off, before doing a proper install with formatting.
    Gam'ster says thanks.
  13. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh sweet ill give that a go a bit later, but its 06:34 am means i aint getting no sleep i need a few mugs of tea and a few ciggs :laugh:, but id love to know what causes it ahh well :ohwell:
    But massive thanks wile E much appreciated :)

Cheers Gam