1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

system unstable

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by regan1985, Mar 26, 2010.

1. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i seems to be having trouble with my pc after months of working fine, it started to restart when watching a movie so i thougt i bet its a windows problem so formated a couple of months ago, 2weeks later it started again so i purchased a new psu coz my old one was kinda old. it still happened so i took a stick of ram out and still happened and then tried the other stick and it was still unstable so the last thing i could try is my graphics card tried an old one and still no good. funny thing is when i test in with orthos for 12hours it runs fine but if i try windows memory digonostics it stops running and crashes sometimes. because it doesnt seem to crash all the time just randomly my thinking is that its the motherboard? i am borrowing my friends ram next week to see if it makes any difference but before then has anyone god any ideas?sorry i seem to go on a bit :laugh:

2. jagd

Thanks Received:
    If it is crashing at memory test probably ram(s) is/are problem .Can you test with memtest ?

http://www.memtest.org/

3. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have tried mem test and i did 300 passes with no errors, i also did a windows 7 memory 7 it passes the basic test and medium test but when i do the advanced test it gets stuck on 10% i tried every slow and both ram sticks and still did the same, everything in bios is set to default and i have raised both the north and south bridge and fsb voltage and cpu voltage and still stops at 10%. also i have run orthos and it passes after 8 hours of testing!

could it be my psu or would doing those tests ,test the psu?also it could be my video card but i have tried far mark and other then it getting very hot 90c it doesnt crash!