• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System won't boot to Windows

System Name My 1st System Build (Up-Grade #4.5)/ Wife's PC
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550@3.5GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4/ GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 socket
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 110mm CPU Cooler / CM Hyper N520
Memory G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC28500) 5-5-5-15@2.1v/ G.Skill 4GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 2.5CL
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB/ ATi X800 XT PE 256mb
Storage WD Caviar SE16 640GB 7200rpm SATA (x 2) in Raid 0 / Acomdata 500GB external HHD/ WD Raptor 10K 150GB
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200 S-PVA Panel/LG Flatron 20.1/ HP LP2465 1920x1200 S-PVA Panel
Case Lian Li (Lancool) PC-K63 / BMW Aluminum Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro/ Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z5
Power Supply COUGAR-SX850 850W 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular/ Corsair 400w 80 plus certifed psu
Software Windows Vista Ultimate X64 (retail) w/ SP-2/ Windows XP Pro w/ SP-3
I have a small problem with my (wife's) PC not booting into windows.

It's an older system that uses a 939 Gigabyte board. I had an Athlon 64 3000+ in it which has been going strong for about 5 years now.

Last night I reinstalled an Athlon 64 x2 4400+ (939) that I recently purchased into it and everything booted up fine, no problems. I was running it for approx 5-6 hours, shutting it down and restarting it several times with no issues at all.

I installed CPU-Z and CPUID HW monitor to check temps. Everything looks fine...cpu cores showed 25 and 43c along with system temp running cool.

After shutting it down last night, I restarted the PC again this morning as to keep it running helping the Artic Silver 5 I applied to further cure (so I am told).
My wife shut the system down after I left and then restarted it again, this time it would not boot up into Windows (XP Pro). It now just runs on a constant loop with the Windows error screen lastly showing and stating :

We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully.
A recent software or hardware change might have caused this.

And it goes on to say it gives several options to select from to try and restart and boot it up such as (Safe Mode...Last known good configuration ...etc ) ...all of which I have tried and nothing works.

I went into the BIOS to see if I might be able to spot any major malfunctions, but I'm not very experienced with this.

I was wondering if by switching out the cpu's if the BIOS my need to be updated to a different version, if in-fact there even is one ?

What confuses me, that after reinstalling the new cpu, it all booted up and was running great till today.......

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I'm stuck and don't know what direction to take. If anyone has suggestions on how to correct this malfunction, it would be greatly appreciated and if any additional system specs are need I can gladly post them..........

Thxxx

*+