• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Team Fortress 2 glitching/Artifacting using EVGA gtx 970 sc

RyougaLolakie

Ever since I got an evga gtx 970 sc, I'm having some problems in terms of stability while at stock settings. Since the card came factory overclocked, I wouldn't expect it would be function like the original referenced gtx 970. Instead, I got the card that causes crashing infrequently on Team Fortress 2 and unfortunately it's the only game that causes artifacting and flickering. Running Unigine, World of Worldcraft, Dota 2, Far Cry 4, and 3DMark had no problems.

I've been using evga's OC scanner, memtestg80, OCCT, and video memory stress test hifh came out with no artifacts and errors. I've also tried out different drivers with no results, which I used DDU to clean out old drivers and underclocking gpu didn't make any difference. At that point, the crashes I'm getting were black screens and TDR errors.

Due to frustration, I ended RMA'ing the card and I popped my old gtx 560 while I wait for the replacement. About a week later, the replacement arrived and I used DDU to remove the 560 drivers and turned off the PC. Popped in the 970 in and installed the drivers and tested out in Heaven. Ran about 10 loops and didn't find any artifacts and crashes. Then, I tested Team Fortress 2 and.....the artifacts are still there. The artifacts I've seen now were white flickering on textures but no crashes.

Note that the replacement card was different since the serial number is different. I'm just littery stumped on how do I ended up like this. I've seen people having problems with the 900 series due to low gpu usage and performance issues. First I thought the factory oc was unstable when I RMA'd the first card. Now I can't be sure if I ended up having another bad factory oc card or it could be drivers because of one game. I honestly want to have a nice gpu to begin with.

My question is, have any of you guys have similar problems I'm having? Here are my Specs:

Cpu: Intel I7 960 @ 3.20ghz
Motherboard: x58 Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla
Hard drive 1: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD
Hard drive 2: Seagate 1tb 7200rpm HDD
Ram: Corsair Dominator 12gb
Gpu: Evga GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
PSU: Corsair TX 750 (750 watt)
Case: NZXT Guardian rb 921

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Hm. Team Fortress isn't particularly demanding. I'd suspect drivers, myself. Have you tried different driver versions? Might try an older driver just to see if it makes any difference. Could also try changing some of the video settings in TF2, maybe move everything down to low quality just to test.

Edit: ..and welcome to the forums! :D

RyougaLolakie

Hm. Team Fortress isn't particularly demanding. I'd suspect drivers, myself. Have you tried different driver versions? Might try an older driver just to see if it makes any difference. Could also try changing some of the video settings in TF2, maybe move everything down to low quality just to test.

Edit: ..and welcome to the forums! :D

Thanks for the welcome! :)

On my first gtx 970, I tried different versions but to no available. I'll try out different cards on my replacement gtx 970. For that, I used DDU on my first gpu. Speaking of that, what is the best way to uninstall drivers, in which it removes all the old remnants of registry and driver files? To be honest, I've never had problems using driver sweeper in the past, but I'm wondering what is the best method for today's standards?

Reactions: xvi
System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
On my first gtx 970, I tried different versions but to no avail.
Hmm. =/
Maybe.. validate the TF2 install? That's odd.

Speaking of that, what is the best way to uninstall drivers, in which it removes all the old remnants of registry and driver files? To be honest, I've never had problems using driver sweeper in the past, but I'm wondering what is the best method for today's standards?
Someone else might have to weigh in here. The uninstaller from Add/Remove should do a half-decent job at it, but a third party utility may grab more.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I've used DDU for driver removals and works for me. Ran it on my NVIDIA and AMD drivers and everything was clean.

As for the game, is your v-sync on?

RyougaLolakie

Hmm. =/
Maybe.. validate the TF2 install? That's odd.

Someone else might have to weigh in here. The uninstaller from Add/Remove should do a half-decent job at it, but a third party utility may grab more.

I just did validate Team Fortress 2 and logged in the server but the artifacts still persist. :(

Unfortunately, Team Fortress 2 doesn't have vsync (at least wait for vsync). As for the vsync in control panel, it's set to "use the application setting".

Edit: switched vsync on as well as triple buffering. No dice....

Last edited:
Reactions: xvi