1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The 4800 series Driver, OCing, Cooling and Tweaking Thread

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by EastCoasthandle, Jun 3, 2008.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    useful for others, I'd have to say - at least threads like this keep newcomers from having to blunder through the darkness like we all did :p

BTW - if you intend to make a section for BIOS modification . . . make sure not to forget about the difference in BIOS size (IIRC, the newest RBE can properly edit and save the 4800 BIOS). It seems that info has fallen into the depths of the internet like the resulting dead boards had never happened :laugh:
  2. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's good to know that this thread was useful to you and others. A lot of members have provided good information in this thread. :toast:
  3. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Bloody f***, my gfx-card got busted :banghead:

Yesterday, I was playing some Assasin's Creed, when it all of the sudedn froze and crashed the whole comp. Now when ever I try launch a 3D program, or for example Furmark, the whole comp freezes, and no signal goes to the display.

I guess I'll just RMA this, the only problem is, I slapped on the Twin Turbo, and now I have to get it off, to restore the stock heatsink. Any idea how to remove the memory sinks?

Think they'll see that the stock cooler has been off?
  4. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually you should be able to just pull off the ramsinks, you have to be careful and twist them lightly. If you pull the video card out and take it apart right after it was used, the glue on the ramsinks will be softer and easier to pull off. After that clean the chips with alcohol and re-apply thermal paste to the die. As long as you assemble the card right they probably wont take it apart if there is no sign of physical damage.
  5. unlimitedhacking New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have ati radeon hd 4850 and my idle temperature is around 60-65°C with the fan running at 75% :( .When i play Call of duty 4 the temperature boosts to 103-105°C & fan speed @ 90% :twitch: :cry: Please help me ppl........is it very dangerous?!?!?!?!?!
  6. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Oooo. this thread might help.

My XFX 4870 never seems to drop it's 3D clocks... Is there a way i can set them... worried about pointless power draw. This is from just typing this and leaving my PC idle:

[​IMG]
  7. unlimitedhacking New Member

Thanks Received:
    wahhhh!!!! how is ur temp so low moon?!?!?!?!?!?
  8. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    That was on water cooling, add 5c to each bit and thats the current on this T-Rad2.
  9. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Any of you think this is high on my temps :confused: this is at idle.
    There is a pic of the type cooler and of the temps. of my card. The reason I ask is yesterday I cleaned my PC but did not do anything but use canned air to dust it out. Now I get random black screens similar to my monitors going to sleep but they are not. Sometimes I get the D1601 Red LED (critical temperature fault) and D601 Red LED (critical Core power fault) both at the same time when this happens but not always. This happens in 2D just looking around on the net etc. :wtf: I have had this card since I believe last March and it has been flawless until now. I have OC'd it but only for benching and never to an extreme point. The card is a Factory OC card so the temps probably are a tad higher than an average card. I just don't remember what my temps were originally to compare. The cooler has never been off so I thought maybe it was time to reapply with good thermal paste what do you think? I did add a 120 fan blowing directly on the card and it seemed to help slightly but I still get random times my screen just goes black.
    I do have good airflow (Antec Nine Hundred) in my case and I have inspected both PCIe plugs all of which checked out fine. Also I am currently using 9.11 CCC which I have used for quite some time with no issues.

Attached Files:

10. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they're really all that high, but if you get errors, then there's definitely something wrong. Those temps shouldn't cause the problems you're having. Since you can't see the VRM temps, they might be very high.

Your symptoms make me think the VRM's have cooked and it's time for a RMA. That's how it started for me with my first card.
    Altered says thanks.
  11. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Since my card is a 512 version I would love to get a newer version I wonder what ASUS has as a RMA replacement? Maybe a stepup program? :laugh: Seriously though what has been the luck with ASUS and RMAing a card? I will be PO if they send me some garbage. :pimp:
  12. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Can't help there. I did it through the retailer.
  13. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Well I got a response from ASUS.
    I know this sounds totally off the wall but the line
    has me stumped. The only "rubber" I can think of I havent bought one in 20+ years. :laugh: Someone please explain to me what the hell he is talking about. I know what the golden connectors are, but a rubber? :confused:
  14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Rubber eraser, probably.

But I would use contact cleaner or 90%+ alcohol(rubbing type) instead, as you don't have to worrying about rubber pieces getting into the equipment.

Edit: I know you were probably joking, but I wanted that 1000 post....:)
  15. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Nope I was not joking I had no idea I was to use a eraser on my video card. I did find the only rubber I could think of was not fit for this task. :laugh:

Thanks
    95Viper says thanks.
  16. jbloggs New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Sapphire HD 4870 512MB, SKU# 11133-03-20R, bought Oct 2008 and at the moment I have an Asus BIOS in it, however I would like to flash it with the original Sapphire BIOS, but unfortunately I didn't keep the original one, could someone please link me to it...

There is one on the Sapphire website but it says the folowing:

FOR P/N:188-01E85-001SA,SKU#11133-00-XXR ONLY

But I'm not sure if I could use this or not.

Thanks...
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  18. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Check your cards backside for this P/N:188-01E85-001SA,SKU#11133-00-XXR
    If you find it, you can can flash with that bios. Otherwise you just need to know if your card is refference design and you can flash with whathever bios for refference design cards.
  19. jbloggs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you both, for your replys....
  20. carlitosan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010