• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"The Day Before" Developer Ceases Operations 3 Days Into Game Release, Steam Steps in with Refunds

I don't know the project. But looking at the numbers, I can't understand the reason for closing and not continuing to work on the game. :kookoo:
Indie.png

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yeah looked okay no idea what it sold for though
Probably to much for myself I'd never do a prepay.

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
Hi,
Yeah looked okay no idea what it sold for though
Probably to much for myself I'd never do a prepay.
They sold that asset assembly extraction/loot shooter in EA for €39.99 and delivered more or less none of the things they showed and mentioned before.

Also, they just opened up a new studio right after. When a fish stinks, it stinks.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Why anyone would pay for Early Access to yet another boring derivative multiplayer shooter is beyond me. If you're that dumb you deserve to get scammed.
People seem to do that just to complain about it later and get upvotes on negative reviews on Steam. Makes no fucking sense.

Why anyone would pay for Early Access to yet another boring derivative multiplayer shooter is beyond me. If you're that dumb you deserve to get scammed.
Big corpo lobbyist? Indies cannot develop other way. And big corpos sure do not want to have indies to develop large scale games, as they need an excuse to keep charging gamers AAA price, or even double and triple AAA prices in developing countries, for a sub-par A game. Hence why they launched smearing campaign here. And hence why they launch smearing campaign against Cyberpunk 2077.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Seriously. Just by the name you would know something fishy about this game.

Yrd

I could never make it past the stupid title.

What is the day before? Is that the setting? It's the ONE day before? It's post apocalyptic setting, so it's not the day before the apocalypse. The day before what?

In summation I absolutely hate the title.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
They even blatantly copied concept art from games & movies. :laugh: It's also psychology wise very clever. "Subliminal Advertising". You just exploit the pre programmed minds.

The good thing is that consumers will be more aware to the concept of "Asset Flip Games". This will become more relevant from day to day. When you can just buy game assets and "LEGO" your game together with minimal game design skills, it just opens the flood gates for scams. Just look at the "FREE" games that get released each week at the EPIC Store. It's wild, lol.

Where is the route to profit for them? Steam doesn't transfer payment immediately, if Steam just refund everyone 3 days in, there is no way the devs got a cent of proceeding.
Steam does provide refunds only to those who ask for a refund. ;) You have tons of people who are not familiar with Steams refund process or the ones who are just too lazy to go though it. All the money from them will go in their pockets. Pretty sure it will be at least 1/3rd.

IDK why people keep saying it's a scam. If it's a scam it's the worst performing scam in history.

Quick back of the napkin scam math: Let's say they sold a total of 200K copies keep 60% of the 8 million they made from steam sales of this game due to a 40%+ refund rate - lets say 4.8 Million, make it an even 5 pre tax:
They've been around since 2018... that's 5 years now, let's say there's only 5 people in the company and they're making on average (top guys more, juniors less etc) 180K a year with benefits and taxes that's costing them let's say 225K a year per person.

That's already 5.6M over 5 years just in staff, no other costs. I don't know what the cap table looks like, how much was fronted by the publisher, or how much other debt/"miscellaneous expenses" they've taken out, But there isn't enough money in the scamming portion to even come close to breakeven.

Unless they're selling drugs on the side there's no way for this to be an organized scam. Something / someone definitely got scammed, but I think it was internal rather than external - someone is holding the bag/crying under a desk right now.
Most of their "offices" are located in low wage eastern European countries where the average monthly income is around $1k, often even lower. :oops: It was also reported that many of their team where "volunteers", so they where basically working for free. Let's say 1/3rd refund the game, Steam takes a 30% share, very low staff costs, you're still walking out with a profit of around 1.8mil at best (minus the advertisement costs for Time Square commercials & of course Nvidia DLSS propaganda).

So that's really not bad for a product you put very low effort in. Dam, I should become a game DEV.

Last edited:
System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE X570S AERO G
Cooling Be Quiet Black Rock 4 Pro
Memory HyperX 128GB Fury 4×32GB 3200MHz HX432C16FB3K4/128
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + Adata SX8200 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GOLD 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse:
:love: Open world
:love: Crafting
:love: Survival horror
:love: Early access

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
They even blatantly copied concept art from games & movies. :laugh: It's also psychology wise very clever. "Subliminal Advertising". You just exploit the pre programmed minds.

The good thing is that consumers will be more aware to the concept of "Asset Flip Games". This will become more relevant from day to day. When you can just buy game assets and "LEGO" your game together with minimal game design skills, it just opens the flood gates for scams. Just look at the "FREE" games that get released each week at the EPIC Store. It's wild, lol.

Steam does provide refunds only to those who ask for a refund. ;) You have tons of people who are not familiar with Steams refund process or the ones who are just too lazy to go though it. All the money from them will go in their pockets. Pretty sure it will be at least 1/3rd.

Most of their "offices" are located in low wage eastern European countries where the average monthly income is around $1k, often even lower. :oops: It was also reported that many of their team where "volunteers", so they where basically working for free. Let's say 1/3rd refund the game, Steam takes a 30% share, very low staff costs, you're still walking out with a profit of around 1.8mil at best (minus the advertisement costs for Time Square commercials & of course Nvidia DLSS propaganda).

So that's really not bad for a product you put very low effort in. Dam, I should become a game DEV.
Yeah but the money office is in Singapore… I think they thought they were paying devs for to make a game, and those devs took them for a ride.

There was for sure a scam, but I’m thinking it was Eastern European dev teams taking the Singapore money for a long ride - because otherwise they would have made it a lot more profitable.

Last edited:
System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse:
:love: Open world
:love: Crafting
:love: Survival horror
:love: Early access
Haha, I just want to say that I agree so hard with this that I had to comment. I am so sick of open world crafting survival games! The only one missing is procedurally generated, just to make sure there's no well-crafted challenge to overcome & "levels" can be pumped out indefinitely.

System Name PC_built_by_my_own_ver_2,3
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Cooling Aardwolf Performa 9X (APF-9X-120)
Memory 2 x Kingston HX318C10FB/8 (16 Gb total)
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4 Gb
Display(s) AOC I2369Vm
Case DeepCool Kendomen TI
That is why:
01) Pre-order games are sucks. You may make a pre-order if you are ready to say goodbye to your money. If a game would not be complete garbage like TDB (it does not deserve to be written by full name), Golum, or Cyberpunk 2077 (like it was at the start) so you are lucky.
02) Pre-order games that are making by developers that you know and you trust so much that you can give them your own money earned by sweat and tears.
03) If you are not ready to say bye-bye to money - Do Not make pre-orders, specially made by "orks" in "orkostan".

Attachments

• pro-war-ruSSians-morons-faggots-putin's-whores,all-of-them_edited.png
    pro-war-ruSSians-morons-faggots-putin's-whores,all-of-them_edited.png
    945.4 KB · Views: 18