1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The legend of lasercut mod: any success???

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by tostator, Jan 19, 2006.

1. tostator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi comunity. I'm new in this forums.

Searching for info to unlock all 16 pipes of my brand new Sapphire X800 GTO agp (no luck with fuses in this case), i've read about the lasercut mod in this forums, but very few success...

My card's core is an R480 (wich fortunetly OC a lot). Does anybody know if there are any posibility to do the lasercut mod in this type of cores (sorry, I have no pictures yet..)? Indeed: has anybody did the mod succesfully?

And another two questions: what does it mean this values?
    CONFIG_ROM_FUSES 0X261
    GB_PIPE_SELECT 0XAD46

Thanks!!!
  2. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    R480 (R430) has NO lasercuts to be connected (at least on the front side) and is totally unmodable :cry: . It is valid also for the R420 and R423 which has lasercuts on the front (visible) side but connecting always result again 12 pipes. In some cases R420 and R423 can be modded from 8 to 12 pipes by connecting the right bridge. It was possible to mod X800PRO non VIVO to 16 pipes by connecting the left bridge but in the very beggining. 16 pipe mod is already history especially for the PCIX PRO's (not known even one successfull mod with exception of these cards which come with 16 pipes enabled on hardware level and limited to 12 on the BIOS level). This is the bitter truth :mad: .
  3. iMha New Member

Thanks Received:
    But that about back side core?
    maybe anyone have information about this? I know r420 contains laser cut in 12-pipe mode...
    May be r480 same as 420? Im can't find nothing about this.

I'm possible can remove R480 core from my x800gto, but without any info its useless work.
    Maybe someone checked this on dead card?
  4. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You removed core from your GTO without destroying it?
  5. iMha New Member

Thanks Received:
    while not, i`m searshing any info about r480 lasercuts....
    My friend repaired mainboards, and he has said to resolder core is possible.
  6. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do it, but we aren't liable, but extreamly intrested :)
  7. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    hes asking for information on doing this bikr69.

im sorry i cant be of some help, im foreign to the x800 cards altogether. removing a core sounds much to risky, might as well just buy another faster card and skip the hassle of possibly destroying this one.

if you find any information on doing this, please post it here so we can be knowledgable.
  8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you have the equipment to properly unsolder (easy) and resolder (hard) a gpu this is definitely something you should check out .. afaik there are lasercuts on the bottomside of the gpu (picture floating around this forum somewhere) which control the substrate fuses. if you bridge the cut your card should be moddable
  9. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have read in the forums that Russians did it (unsolder the core from card with broken memory and solder it on card with dead core) and not only once but they faced with problem because (the core has 16 working pipes) but after soldering one quad remains locked on the PRO PCB. It could be bad soldering or difference in the PCB design/configuration (I have no idea and also they).

I have proposal here to everybody who will surf the forum and will read that:

If somebody has DEAD X800/X850 card (any brand or bus) to contribute for guessing the riddle "sacrificeing" the already dead card. The only thing that is needed is the core itself (not broken to pieces of course).
  10. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It would be extreamly difficult to replace the core, if not, impossible. Anyone else read w1zz's review on the tour of the Sapphire factory?