• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The lunatics wanna run the asylum

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
"church" and "science" in the same phrase. :laugh:

In a way you could say there are different churces in science as well. It's basicly people with a common interest gathering to talk about/learn about those interests.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
In a way you could say there are different churces in science as well. It's basicly people with a common interest gathering to talk about/learn about those interests.

We might be arguing semantics here, but I don't think you can ever equate churches to science. Churches are all about religion and useless dogma and crucially, scientific ignorance. Science is just the opposite. It seeks to learn about every aspect of our universe using reason and logic.

An absolutely perfect example of science over any religion is just to look at the advanced technology all around us. No religion ever did that, only science and the effort of countless scientists, inventors, engineers and ordinary people throughout the ages. All religion does is hold us back and should be discarded. Yes, I'm an atheist.

Oops, I think we're straying into GN territory here. :eek: I'll happily discuss this with you if you want to create a GN thread and link back to it here. :toast:

qamulek2

Lunatics EVERYWHERE!!!!

TBH the lunatics are already running the asylum; those lunatics are called physicists. Physicists embrace quantum mechanics even though it has lost touch with reality.

To see why quantum mechanics does not represent reality, consider what happens in the double slit diffraction experiment. Send many photons of one wavelength into the apparatus, and on the other side you will observe a nice diffraction pattern. Turn down the intensity of the light while increasing the exposure time, and you will still see a nice diffraction pattern(once the photo is developed). Keep decreasing the intensity of the light till only one photon enters the apparatus per day, and you will still see a nice diffraction pattern so long as you expose the film for an adequate amount of time. Most people that think about how the diffraction pattern comes about will initially use common sense and think the photons interfere with each other, but this experiment shows that each photon actually interferes with itself. How is it that each photon interferes with itself and somehow decides it should have a certain probability of appearing some place? Quantum mechanics doesn't try to explain how it happens, it just states particles behave like waves until you observe them. Just as odd, Quantum mechanics says how likely it is to find a particle within a certain region, but once the particle is found, it will never tell you why it decided to appear there rather than somewhere else; for any one experiment quantum mechanics is "wrong" since it can't tell you what will happen, but on average quantum mechanics has always been right.

Something happened for any one experiment, and whatever happened should be considered reality. The problem is quantum mechanics can't say what will happen for any one experiment, so it shouldn't be considered reality. However; quantum mechanics represents the only reality we know since no one can explain what will happen for any one experiment. By embracing quantum mechanics as a theory that represents reality, I am tossing out a deeper reality that I know should exist; By rejecting the "truth", I am a lunatic.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
TBH the lunatics are already running the asylum; those lunatics are called physicists. Physicists embrace quantum mechanics even though it has lost touch with reality.

To see why quantum mechanics does not represent reality, consider what happens in the double slit diffraction experiment. Send many photons of one wavelength into the apparatus, and on the other side you will observe a nice diffraction pattern. Turn down the intensity of the light while increasing the exposure time, and you will still see a nice diffraction pattern(once the photo is developed). Keep decreasing the intensity of the light till only one photon enters the apparatus per day, and you will still see a nice diffraction pattern so long as you expose the film for an adequate amount of time. Most people that think about how the diffraction pattern comes about will initially use common sense and think the photons interfere with each other, but this experiment shows that each photon actually interferes with itself. How is it that each photon interferes with itself and somehow decides it should have a certain probability of appearing some place? Quantum mechanics doesn't try to explain how it happens, it just states particles behave like waves until you observe them. Just as odd, Quantum mechanics says how likely it is to find a particle within a certain region, but once the particle is found, it will never tell you why it decided to appear there rather than somewhere else; for any one experiment quantum mechanics is "wrong" since it can't tell you what will happen, but on average quantum mechanics has always been right.

Something happened for any one experiment, and whatever happened should be considered reality. The problem is quantum mechanics can't say what will happen for any one experiment, so it shouldn't be considered reality. However; quantum mechanics represents the only reality we know since no one can explain what will happen for any one experiment. By embracing quantum mechanics as a theory that represents reality, I am tossing out a deeper reality that I know should exist; By rejecting the "truth", I am a lunatic.

wtf? :wtf: Read up on this experiment and scientists explain that it's a puzzle and not fully understood. So what? Science has never claimed to know everything and it would be idiotic to claim to. The fact that this is an open question in no way makes scientists "lunatics". :rolleyes: The theories get revised over time, with more experiments and data and eventually this question will be solved.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
To see why quantum mechanics does not represent reality

quantum theory and general relativity make the best, most testable predictions out of all theories to date. of course they are not the absolute truth, but they are the best we have to work with

feel free to come up with an experiment that contradicts them

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
quantum theory makes the best, most testable predictions out of all theories to date

feel free to come up with an experiment that contradicts quantum theory

It's qamulek2 that said that, not me! You've clearly had too much Christmas wine W1zz! :laugh:

I fully agree with what you said about quantum theory; we're on the same side. :)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
fixed. the quote button doesnt take into account quotes

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

qamulek2

I fully agree with what you said about quantum theory; we're on the same side.

At the end of the day, I believe we're all on the same side. Note my conclusion:
However; quantum mechanics represents the only reality we know since no one can explain what will happen for any one experiment.

My goal was to show how crazy it is to accept the norm. Quantum mechanics does not represent reality since it cannot tell me what happens for any one experiment, but at the same time I must accept it as representing my reality since no one can explain what happens for any one experiment.

I may not like quantum mechanics, but I do not deny its utility. No theory has been able to explain quantum weirdness yet, so I must accept quantum mechanics as a foundation of physics until someone can explain why the world obeys quantum mechanics in the first place.

w1zzard said:
quantum theory and general relativity make the best, most testable predictions out of all theories to date. of course they are not the absolute truth, but they are the best we have to work with

feel free to come up with an experiment that contradicts them

Easily done. What happens to a star that's about to turn into a black hole? To answer such a question physicists need both quantum mechanics and general relativity; the problem is most attempts to do so have failed. I find this interesting since the two theories are trying to define our reality, but when they are combined together they fail horrendously. If quantum mechanics and general relativity are incompatible, then which one will be tossed out as a flawed description of our reality?

Regarding the incompatibility, the books I have read point to the problem being that general relativity needs everything to be smooth, while quantum mechanics relies on discrete bundles of stuff(it's hard to be smooth when everything comes in packets). Despite the difficulty, there have been progress towards quantum gravity; two paths I have read about are string theory and loop quantum gravity. Of the two paths, I prefer loop quantum gravity due to its description of a black hole, but I won't talk further on it since I have only second hand knowledge on the subject. The point is progress is being made on quantum gravity, and that progress is being made by changing our reality: string theory wants particles to become strings, while quantum gravity wants to quantize space-time(I think...). It should be interesting to note that one path is changing quantum mechanics(everything is a string rather than a particle), while the other is changing general relativity(quantized space-time). Something must give to combine quantum mechanics with general relativity, and when that happens our definition for reality will change.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
Storage Corsair F120 SSD +9,5TB storage
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64
Benchmark Scores I only care about practical performance.
I hate that you need to be qualified to do anything in current society.

Back in the day if you were good at something or right that would be enough.

Amen to that!

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Not that I agree with what this guy is saying but this is a very hypocritical approach by the scientific community dismissing anything. Electricity couldn't be proven to truly exist until the we could actually see electrons and protons. Only then was it "proven". Yet no one would argue it wasn't really there. Honestly a lot of science today is corrupted by special interest funding and they have a tendency to dismiss anything their funders disagree with.

Kinda like the Catholic Church of the dark ages executing people who disagreed with their teachings the same can be said of the scientists today disagreeing with the source of funding. Only now they don't kill you. They just discredit you in to oblivion.
Now with all that being said, I don't agree with this guy. Just don't feel he should be belittled and dismissed. Science is about an open mind. Some should try having one.

6 months ago nothing was faster then the speed of light. If anyone said that 6 months ago they would have been made fun of. Now they are not 100% sure. Scienece has become a system of mockery and belittlement to anyone who doesn't fit the status quo. Thats my issue with it right now. Science used to be open minded. Now it doesn't seem so much. What happen to the adventurism?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Honestly a lot of science today is corrupted by special interest funding and they have a tendency to dismiss anything their funders disagree with.

Yeah, that's so bloody true. :mad: Unfortunately, that's politics screwing it up and isn't science. :shadedshu

It's still true though, that there are a lot of crackpots out there and they really should be dismissed out of hand.

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Umm...

It's very easy to create an argument or theory that, on the surface, sounds good, but in reality isn't very rational. It's the sort of thing that clever people with little education do all the time. Very few of them actually have the mental discipline and self-taught analytical sophistication to come up with anything actually useful. So, all the poorly educated and clever, from teenagers to old men, of the world who think they've come up with something brilliant, more often than not, haven't. They only manage to convince the ignorant; and those who are like them, the clever and poorly educated tend to say things like, "well, I like to keep an open mind, maybe they're right, you never know".

"No set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated."
~ Crabtree's Bludgeon
;)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Umm...

It's very easy to create an argument or theory that, on the surface, sounds good, but in reality isn't very rational. It's the sort of thing that clever people with little education do all the time. Very few of them actually have the mental discipline and self-taught analytical sophistication to come up with anything actually useful. So, all the poorly educated and clever, from teenagers to old men, of the world who think they've come up with something brilliant, more often than not, haven't. They only manage to convince the ignorant; and those who are like them, the clever and poorly educated tend to say things like, "well, I like to keep an open mind, maybe they're right, you never know".

"No set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated."
~ Crabtree's Bludgeon
;)

Then there are people who repeat talking points of other people and have never had any real world experience. These people are called experts more then not. Question the experts and you risk discredit among the masses. Accepting the status quo is far easier then to challenge the accepted. Most "educated" people enjoy being spoon fed facts. They don't like to get their hands dirty. I like to question motives and ends. I like to know for a fact someone is full of shit before I dismiss them. This is the way Science used to work. Now its more of a priesthood except for a few. But hey, lets just follow the leader right? It must be true. An expert said so.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i agree you don't have to go to school to learn these things, but i agree with qubit for sure that at the level we are at, you need an advanced understanding of science and especially mathematics to really contribute anything. for 90% of people that means school. very few people who think they are genius enough to learn advanced science on their own actually are.

not saying it can't happen - a relative layman could simply have a POV that others fail to see. but the chances of that are slim. for any considerable, long-term progress those technical requirements really need to be met.

and not everything deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I just want to interject and say that adjustments need ot be made to this statement. Laymen scenerios are all too common though not so common in other subjects. For example on this board alone. A few years ago I was reading a thread. Someone had a bad experience with a motherboard install. He was on his laptop and trying all sorts of things. The thread got to like 2 pages iirc. We were going nuts anyone contributing to the thread was at it 110% (imo this was a better time at TPU when people cared not like now) we were double and triple checking everything are you sure you put on the riser? thermal paste amount? examine the mobo look for chipped caps here here and here. at the end of the day he SERIOUSLY just didnt plug it in. which was almost the last post. Of course nothing that big happens often but you get it all the time. Even here. Someone will have a graphics card issue and we will go on forever about drivers and bios etc etc but he just didnt plug it in all the way.

Of course the science community probably has similar. They may not be huge but im sure even the simpilest problems happen all the time. Laymen arent allowed in such facilities but that doesnt mean they couldnt figure it out. if a scientist is having trouble with an algorythm and you watch him miss the division symbol when copying it you dont need a PhD to tell him he fucked up.