1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The P35 Chipset Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Mediocre, Aug 9, 2007.

1. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Which board did you order?
  2. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Looks :cool:
  4. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    *Updated*

OMFG you wouldn't believe the day I had yesterday...Lets see I got a speeding ticket 82 in a 65, Go so mad b/c the cop was such an ass hole, I punched (and shattered) my windshield.

So the insurance pays for the windshield replacement, but the dumb fucks at 'Flower City Glass' DENTED MY HOOD and BROKE MY WIPER. Then they tried to get out of fixing it...Thankfully they finally took responsibilty for it, gonna fix it. I almost wish they would just cut me a check...ffs
    [​IMG]
  5. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I join the club too? just upgraded my news posting station today with a brand new GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pictures, those were taken with my mobile phone on very bad lighting condition.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    That totally bites the big one! glad to hear that they are fixing their mistakes! thanks for the add and pm me about the logo. I have 4 days off since there will be a skeleton crew at the hospital.
  7. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Skeleton crew @ a hospital :laugh:

I have no artistic talents what-so-ever

So feel free to make anything that looks cool (no pressure :D)
  8. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yay, I'm in, cheers Mediocre! Completed my upgrade with my ASUS EAH3870 today, god it runs sweet! 19393 in 3D05 so far, with the card at stock. People had warned me about Asus mobos, but all I can say is that this P35 board runs beautifully, I haven't found one anomaly yet. More than could be said for my old DFI CFX3200, LOL!
  9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Ok...now we come to some important decisions.

Just got my 3870....and a HUGE tax rebate.

So, Do I crossfire?
  10. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, since we need a guinea pig to see how the 16x 4x arrangement works in reality, I say go for it! Its all in the name of science, LOL!

On a side note, funny how yours turned up today too, looks like the UK shortage may be coming to an end at last....Lets see how long it takes ebuyer to come down from its ridiculous price of £169 for a lite retail Sapphire....
  11. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I reckon on your monitor doing crossfire will be pointless.
    My HD2900 pro is giving me 1920X1200, everything high except AA... in everything I play on its own.

Crossfire from what i understand will only give you results at high res, high settings so on your 20" screen in 1280X1024 itll be wasted.

Also the P35 boards from what ive seen are 16X 4X crossfire so the 2nd card wont really be able to fly.

Buy yourself a 24" screen so you can do games in high res rather ;)
  12. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree on both :D Seriously, the $1000 I spent on the TV/Monitor was by far the best addition to my gaming. And I went from a 21" CRT to a 20" LCD (non-wide 16x12) then to the 37...its insane (plus the 204B works great as a second monitor)

Only issue with big screen/high resolution - gotta upgrade videocards.

I'd almost take the wife's MSI RD480 (skt 939 xfire 8x, 8x) over a P35 (for crossfire performance at least).

If you want crossfire you almost have to graduate to x38 or x -fourty whatever to get a decent boost.
  13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Firstly, its 1680x1050

Second, I got the 20" because I don't like the bigger screens, could have got a 22" for slightly more, but didn't like it. Too large.

So no. I will not be buying a new monitor anytime in the next 3 years (only just got the monitor).

And from what I've read, using 16x-4x is only something like 4% slower than 8x-8x, and 10-12% slower than 16x-16x. and considering I do eventually plan to get an X38 (when they actually release some DECENT ones over here) I might as well start now if I do plan to go Crossfire...
  14. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a better resolution to start thinking about crossfire. Most benchies I've seen tho show only a small improvement overall with a second card (not even close to 50% who knows what chipset), even at insane resolutions.

I dunno I read something I got linked from here about how crossfire & sli are NOT the best bang for the buck. It has to do with how quickly new generations come out and how the speed doubles quickly. By the time you need a second card, you're a generation (or two) behind.
  15. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    at that low resolution, crossfire isnt worth it... perhaps you will get more AA, but other than that it will be wasted. These radeon cards dont work with AA well anyways, so it probably wont be much of a boost.

But if you want your rig to look good inside, it will look a bit more flash than one card ;)
  16. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    That was a while ago.

I read recently that Crossfire can gain about 50-60% with a second card, and SLi is slightly less. However I don't NEED A new card lol. I just thought what the hey. I have money lying around :p
  17. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Core 2 Duo E6300 @490x6 (2940mhz) Stock volts, test to see how high the motherboard would overclock.

Apparently, my mobo clocks really well compared to the other P31 boards out there! :D
  18. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Nice, was looking at those P31 boards the other day...
    just out of interest, why does coretemp report your chip at 3.4ghz and cpu-z has it at 2.9ghz?
  19. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I've all ready found a few pictures and I'll start tomorrow with the drawings... I love the holidays because of our skeleton Crew that we have to have! :laugh:

I really don't see a point right now. The reviews that we showed wasn't that big.. if you really want, I have the ability to do crossfire whenever I chose with 3870 (best friend lives next door and were all ways wanting to do something different) I'll talk to him tomorrow when we take a trip to Best Buy and see when we can do it.
    But, I'd go with something else. Right now, I don't see anything to really gain from having crossfire 3870's.
  20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Coretemp is assuming a stock multi x fsb. But it prints the actual multi. It's basically a bug.
  21. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really really fucking hot :p nearly 70*C thanks to the stock cooler. I've bolted on the pentium D cooler slug :laugh: just for extra cooling temporarily
  22. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    i would like to ask, what are the temps of your guys northbridge, im gettin around 40 degrees C, wanna know if thats ok or too hot

btw can i join?

1 - Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    2 - Intel Celeron 420
    3 - 350 FSB (so far max i been to), 1.26Vcore
  23. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if the temp readings are accurate, thats fine.
    Stick your finger on the northbridge heatsink - if you cant hold it there comfortably, cool it.
    (the heatpipes on mine hit 90C once and gave me a blister from touching it. 40mm fan fixed that good)

P.S - the mobo software read 50C for mobo temps, but an infrared thermometer said 90. it sure as hell feltl ike 90 when i touched it.
  24. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 'motherboard' sensor (which I'm assuming is the northbridge) idles at 41C and hits 50-55ish under load. And thats with a swiftech block on it. Been that way for quite few months so I guess its ok :p

Oh and added ;)
    choppy says thanks.
  25. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    cheers matey (im under dual core with a single core celly, heh!)

well i changed my fan arrangements, brought my 120mm intake inside the case under the hdd and its knocked 5 degrees c off the nb temp to 35C , and considering what you guys just said its a healthy temp :)