1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The truth about USB 3.0

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ilgoldman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ilgoldman New Member

Thanks Received:
    At the risk of acting overly stupid, What is Terracopy?

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can ignore that, its just a software to manage your transfers. Windows usually handle the transfers well enough for you to ignore using 3rd party software.

3. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and that's TeraCopy with one "r" :p It's used to copy terabytes of data, not continents on Earth *gg*

4. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Speak for yourself :p Maybe on windows 7 it has no significant difference but on xp there is a lot off difference.

5. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    aye, used in back on XP too but 7 seems to handle filecopy quite well... wondrous...

6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget that you're only running as fast as the external HDD can run. If it's only a 2.5" HDD (laptop HDD) inside the enclosure, then it will be slow.

What is the make/model of your external HDD?

7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are still using XP you are doing it wrong :p

8. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tell that to my 3 year old netbook :p

9. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    TeraCopy

TeraCopy is designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It skips bad files during the copying process, and then displays them at the end of the transfer so that you can see which ones need attention. TeraCopy can automatically check the copied files for errors by calculating their CRC checksum values. It also provides a lot more information about the files being copied than its Windows counterpart. TeraCopy integrates with Windows Explorer's right-click menu and can be set as the default copy handler.

10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I will. Because my 3 year old netbook(bought in Sep 2008) runs Win7 better than it ever ran XP. And I'm guessing spec wise it is identical to yours, because they all were back then...

95Viper and xfire say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet! Gonna test it ASAP.

Edit:

http://www.howtogeek.com/73887/battle-of-the-file-copiers-windows-teracopy-and-supercopier/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. yoster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok haven't read this entire thread to be perfectly honest, but..

To the person who was testing speed on a USB flash device.. most of flash memory devices, even if they'r usb 3.0.. are not going to max usb 3.0 speeds. The flash memory in those cards just doesn't physically support those rates.. they're not like speeds of solid state drives.

In general about usb 3.0.. Results often vary. I've seen 40mb read up to 120mb read on my 3tb hd. Sometimes the write is down to 12, but that's usually when I'm unraring from internal HD to external (so the unrar process time is not allowing transfer rate to go any higher.. since it's not unraring more than 12mb/sec).

Anywho, one thing that increased my speeds was going into the settings and turning on write cache (the option that disables your ability to just 'unpug' the usb device). If the device is going to be permanently installed, I recommend enabling that option.

Good luck!

Side Note - Dell is a pretty stand-up company. I wouldn't jump right to a conclusion that they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes. The fact that the OP is coming here for help about this confirms their misunderstanding about USB 3.0, so I'd give Dell the benefit of the doubt here (same goes for the poster who commented about read speeds from a USB flash drive).