1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tide of the GPU war turns OR does it

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by OneMoar, Apr 12, 2010.

1. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    a bit off topic but something occurred to me after reading the fermi release thread
    nVida had a chance to firmly reassert there dominance in the gpu market over ati but instead they blow it with a rushed product with a shotty build quality that's only "slightly" faster then ATI comparable product and yet uses x2 the power and puts out x3 the heat wtf is up with that
    now if ATi can get on the ball with there drivers nVdia will be feeling some serious HURT
    thoughts anyone ??

2. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL i think you can call the Fermi alot of things but one thing you cant call it is RUSHED... LMFAO.. they took their sweet time jacking it up

3. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Mwahaha! yeah, it took so much time to cook that it is still burnin' hot!

4. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    As far as I'm concerned YES.

I've been a long time nVidia fanboi, but this ultra late release, missing the entire "festive shopping season" and now releasing something SO much more expensive, and hotter, and hardly performing that much better at all?

AND you basically need a new PSU no-matter what 400 series you buy? they use almost DOUBLE the power to perform 10% better ? Bugger that!

nVidia reply's : "Oh but it scores so good in a BS tessellation test that's got nothing to do with ANYTHING in the real world!"

WHO CARES!

My next card WILL be an ATI, and I've been running nVidia's for over 8 years.

This new junk is too little too late, for FAR too much money, and with far to many draw-backs. Even if it IS technically the faster card its by so little, with so many new problems that go along with it, its hard for anyone but an absolute benchmark-whore to justify buying one.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I too was an nvidia fan boi and been using nvidia since 64mb was in, my last card was xfx 7950gt which ran really good and quiet..before I upgraded to a new pc I was going to get the 280 but once I saw ati 4870 2x kicked it's ass I said wait a minute!! I did research after research for like 4 months by then the 5xxx were new, so i was like f' it I'll go with 5xxx because it's more faster and better value plus dx11. I have crossfire now and never regret turning to ATI :)

6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I grow tired of the Graphics Processor Wars and the cheering sections , on each side.

Nvidia or ATi, hmmmm... I do believe they try to bring their best to market and do not, purposely, try to piss off their customers. I do believe just about every tech company has had their share of, shall I say, fubars.

They are man-made products, so expect man-made problems.

:)

7. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    We have choices, choose what's best for you. Simple as that.

Jalapenos or vanilla ice cream.

22mpg or 45mpg.

Red or yellow.

Exspensive or affordable.

Loud or quieter.

110mph or 103mph

8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    103/mph because it requires less gas per mile. When you stop for gas I'll still be pumping. ;)

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Come on guys, you cant bag out fermi, its a 2 in 1 product, a powerful video card & a portable frying pan :laugh:

10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    but it only get's hot enough to fry on the backside... so unless there's a non electrically conductive metal that conducts heat well you're out of luck.

Edit* Could you put cooking oil directly on the pcb?

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I thought all frying pans were portable?

Soylent Joe says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah your right lol:laugh::laugh::laugh::slap: portable heater then!

13. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    GTX 480 is as good as what HD 2900 XT was. Yes, things have taken a 180' in the GPU industry.

14. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    WTF is a HD 2900 XT?

LOL

15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think Fermi has turned out the way it has, because the chip is ahead of its time. It's so big and complex, that it's pushing current fabrication technology to the limit and they've had to disable part of it to get acceptable yields and power consumption.

Once we get the "GTX 485" New! Improved! model built on 32nm or whatever, then I think we'll see what this architecture is capable of and it will kick ass. That was a good film BTW. ;)

Agree? Disagree? Lemme know.

16. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Well, it is probably pushing current fabrication technology, but this thing is essentially two GTX285s in one chip if we look at the pure computing power. Where has all that power gone ? We're certainly not seeing performance figures matching a pair of GTX285s in SLI even, much less the performance of a single-chip 2xGTX285 setup GF100 is shaped up to be.

17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Well, as I said, they've had to cripple the chip to build it on current technology, which will significantly impact its performance. I'll bet if they had all 512 shaders enabled on a 512-bit bus and running at a higher clock speed, this thing would really fly. :D

As it is, I certainly wouldn't buy one, even if I had the money. I'll stick with my trusty GTX 285 and wait for the second revision.

18. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I'm sticking with my GTX285s until a DX11 game of epic graphics (Which will look way better in DX11 over the way it looks in DX10) will show up (I am looking at you Crysis 2).

19. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's what you'll say about GTX 480 in a couple of years from now.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  20. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Nah, glaciers are melting, bears are dying. It's behind times, compared to AMD Cypress / Radeon HD 5800 series. When people are advertised a new fab process, they at least need to get a GPU that's cooler than its older generation. 8800 GTX to 9800 GTX was such. GTX 280 to GTX 480, it goes completely backwards on that.

21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    A 5870 will be very good value in a few months, as prices come down.

Hmmm.... I dunno enough about the technical details of either architecture to fanboi over this one. :laugh: All I can say is that the impression I get is that Fermi is like this currently, because of limited process technology. Now, Charlie Demerjian certainly would know...

22. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Besides to qualify for "ahead of times", it should be "ahead of competition" first, it isn't. 8800 GTX/Ultra was truly ahead of its times. GTX 480 isn't. Not with a card that draws lesser power while being faster than it (Radeon HD 5970).

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  23. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    32nm has been scrapped. 28nm will be next, and as I've said in the ATi's next gen of GPUs thread, a 28nm card is at the earliest 4Q2010 (their Southern Islands) and 1Q2011 (Northern Islands). So a new generation of ATi cards against an improved GTX 400 series? lol

24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That 8800 GTX was indeed phenomenal. I bought one for cheap about a year ago and was amazed at how good it still is.

Well, a chip can be "ahead" simply by having more of everything and more transistors to make it process in fewer clock cycles and being optimized for performance in certain things, such as tessellation, like the GTX 480 is. Unfortunately, building the damn thing can be a problem, which is what I think happened here. As I said, I don't know the intimate technical details of either architecture, so yes, maybe it's just crap. :laugh:

28nm should give Fermi an even bigger boost then. However nvidia certainly have their work cut out for them... give it a couple of years and the situation will be reversed again, just like with the 2900 v 8800 GTX.

25. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Every time a computer with a GTX480 installed is turned on, a polar bear dies.

This is the way technology works. Rival corporations trade blows. AMD is ahead of Nvidia at this point. Nvidia will claim the crown again in due time.

Crunching for Team TPU