1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

To RMA or not RMA

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by cdawall, Oct 28, 2012.

1. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I just got my Gigabyte H55N-USB3 back from RMA land. Installed the board plopped in my X3440 and found one giant brick wall overclocking. The same mobo/CPU that was stable before are 4.2ghz can't even post over 150mhz bck. No amount of voltage or ram settings would get it to break 150mhz (3ghz). This means the XMP profile for ram doesn't work even though it is certed to work with the board. Should I complain and RMA the board AGAIN! :slap: or just deal with a board that obviously isn't working correctly?

Just on a side not even back at stock it would occasionally have issues in 1080P movies were it BSOD's even with full default settings...

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've never been for RMAing a part because it doesn't overclock well since running anything over stock isn't guaranteed.

However, the BSODing when playing 1080p movies, I assume using hardware acceleration, means there something unstable going on somewhere. So I could see RMAing the board for that after eliminating any other part from causing the issue.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    considering the last statement in your OP... I'd say go ahead and send it back if you've already ruled out any other hardware being at fault.

More than 25k PPD
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Tried a different PSU, reinstalling windows 7 and different ram. Can't really think of any other parts. This board is really well known for the chipset overheating and I am wondering if I got back yet another board that had chipset issues...

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    RMA that sucker.

95Viper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

:shadedshu this is going to be a PITA. I hope GB knows they are paying to ship it back, because I sure as heck am going to raise a stink.

7. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I would too

More than 25k PPD
  8. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you see if they will exchange for another brand like asrock or asus mitx?[if thats possible etc, dont know the circumstances], offer to pay the difference, tell them it doesn't fit or something, if the board has known chipset overheating issues, then thats the last board i'd be using for your custom mini~rigg cd.[just my thoughts hope you dont mind , with respect] ive done that before recently, and the shop did it for me!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i dont think they will give you an rma. no mobo companies provide OCing gurantee. if your system sits stable at stock, then the board is fine according to them.

but maybe you should take a look at the voltage. usually the voltage fluctuates more even when the system is running stock.

i had my asus mobo rma'd for this once. the original one i bought did 3.6ghz 24x7 fine ( i used to crunch)
    but after the first rma it wouldnt even boot past 3.3Ghz! so i looked at the voltage and woohoo, it was going as low as 1.2V when CnQ was disabled and the CPU voltage was set to 1.4 :eek:

10. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately ^this. I've run into this problem on a couple of occasions; not only with mobo's but with CPU coolers as well.
    Asus denied my RMA because my $250 enthusiast board voltage regulation was horrendous, whichever in turn made any ocing next to impossible. However, it was stable @ stock so RMA denied.

Then thermaltake and its V1 cooler. Cooled worse than my stock Opteron cooler. Their response "we can't guarantee anything when overclocking a system." Funny, it was marketed to overclockers.

11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I was in the middle of eating my lunch but dropped everything when i saw this.

What they are doing breaches the sale of goods act so it is illegal.

IMO... when they denied your RMA. you should have said, 'Im sorry but i wouldnt pay $250 for a toaster if it didnt/wouldnt/couldnt toast anything.

for $250 and something that's clearly marketed as an enthusiast product. They have no grounds to deny you as you are an enthusiast and you didnt buy it to run the board at 'stock'

I would have asked them nicely to reconsider before I go down the road of taking legal action against them.

There are HUNDREDS of other boards out there... CHEAPER boards that dont cost anywhere near $250 that overclock like crazy.

Check out my board for instance. Its only a P8Z68-V Pro, it didnt cost me $250 but but I still managed almost 5GHZ OC on my 2500k.

so what Asus are telling you is bullshit. If you take legal action against them. they will most likely bend over and settle out of court because it would cost them far more money to train up a rep to fight the case.

In any case, any good judge or solicitor/attorney would be able to see that they have breached the sale of goods act.

Dont feel like its all over and there is no where to go or turn to just because they throw up barriers or walls to slow you down or stop you that you have to jump over to reach your goals.

Trust me... Next time any retailer or manufacturer tries to stiff you like this, so long as you think its worth fighting for then take them to court.

As a consumer - we all have to stand for our rights.

And now my kebab is cold... :cry::cry::banghead:

::EDIT::

I missed the point i was trying to make since i was distracted by food was that everything you buy has to be 'fit for purpose' $250 is marketed at enthusiasts.

For instance....a car salesman trying sell a family man who needs a car for school runs and shopping trips an F1 car. In Asus's case they are pointing out the fact that the car has 4 wheels - therefore it is a 'car'
    YES its a car but the car itself is not fit for purpose, you cant use it for the school run, you cant take it shopping and you sure as hell cant take passengers. not to mention the speed bumps on the road which would most likely be beyond the clearance of the vehicle.

BlackOmega says thanks.
  12. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'll tell ya what, in the last 6 to 10 years I have totally steered away from Gigabyte motherboards. I have had too many issues with them in recent times. However since you obviously have one and it is fresh from RMA I would send it strait back to them!

In the mean time, as Freedom stated, grab ya something else. Once you get that puppy back from RMA again, boot it up to insure that it works and sell that dude.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Board is starting to act exactly like my previous one fresh boot in the morning is fine until it gets warm and then random shutdown/poweroff at stock.

14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Did the new board come back brand new or refurb?

Flash the bios from a different board, but same bios chip type and memory size. They will quickly see it doesn't work. ;P

15. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Eclipse , on Both the Non O/P board , and For You as well CD. I Know this is A Different situation but, I purchased Three Mobo's From a Re-Seller and they were ALL Asrock , which Don't Have the Easiest RMA/Support To deal with. Just finding an English Speaking REP , can be a challenge , But , anyway I checked the Lot of them and they looked good. The last one Was an Extreme 3 Gen 3 that was for a build 2 month's down the road , and when I went to Do the build I Lifted off the CPU socket cover to Find that it had MANY Bent CPU pin's. It never occured to me to check under the cover to see if they were bent when I took Shipment , Since they were new board's. Anyway the Re-Seller wouldn't even Get past my Story without telling me to Contact Asrock. So I did. They Had me send pic's of the board, and Even Had me pay to RMA ship it backl , only to Tell me I had to pay for the fix!!! Their Word's were "it is unclear weather it was damaged by You during the build". "Do to that We are NOT obligated to Make the repair's , or Honor our Warranty". I went Full throttle on them Day after Day , and eventually Threatened Legal Action , if they Didn't honor their Warranty. I think that Someone With A bit more Power got wind of My E-Mail 's because one Morning I checked my Gmail and the Rep , suddenly had a change of heart , and they Were willing to make the repair as long as I would pay for shipping. I can tell you that this was DEFINITELY a Time comsuming Experience , but I got my then $180 board fixed , For free, and Even Shipped @ their cost. These companies NEED to be held to their word. And in the End WE are the one's who NEED to do it. Persistance , Determination , and Calm.These are the three thing's to keep in mind. What happened to Companies Keeping the customer @ the forefront of their Concern's?? And the customer is allway's right? Well it's up to People like us to hold them to their word.
    I Also recommend If you DO go through with this ,,SAVE your EMail'S.
    here's my favorite one from Asrock.

Dear valued customer,
    We want to inform you that we have received your return motherboard in our facility. However, we found that the motherboard was missing serial number sticker on the motherboard.Please understand that without serial number will be rejected for RMA process. We do you a favor this time, but no more exception next time.
    Thank you!
    Best regards,
    ASRock RMA

They even overlooked the stupid Sticker I removed , just to get rid of me.

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I am assuming refurb as it didn't come in a H55N box. As for swapping boards I am kind of stuck. There are not that many LGA1156 mini ITX boards out there to begin with let alone ones that clock well. The DFI MI P55-T36 is out there, but I cannot find one. Not to mention the layout is beyond stupid.

Edit found one on [H] have a buddy pm'ing him since I managed to get perma banned on there something about badmouthing Kyle.

17. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    My Asus experience was with a socket 939 board (A8N32 SLI deluxe). At the time, almost the most expensive board available for that socket. That RMA experience with them has almost completely turned me off to ALL Asus products. So figure that was in 2005, and I haven't purchased another new Asus product since. So in essence their bullshit policy cost them a customer. I put together at least two new systems per year just for myself. This year I've put together 5 relatively high dollar systems. So now other companies get my money, like AsRock, EVGA, MSI, Sapphire and so on.
    Thermaltake blew it with their V1, although I must admit I still love my Big Typhoon.

Kingston blew it with some hyper-x sticks that wouldn't run anywhere near advertised specs (also denied RMA). And G.Skill blew it with some 2133MHz sticks that wouldn't even run at 1333MHz on my x58 rig. Also did nothing to try and rectify the issue.

Ironically enough one of the best experiences I've had with an RMA was with XFX.

The best to date was EVGA. Their customer service is top notch.

18. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I suppose its also down to who deals with your RMA.

Ive had issues with retailers when it comes to RMA, I've also gone as far as to contact a UK based Asus rep who literally jumped through hoops for me when i contacted them regarding a certified Asus retailer that was giving me the run around.

peoples experiences are patchy at best. there are even guys who have never had a problem with a certain retailer or manufacturer then all of a sudden another group of people kick the doors down and start bitching and whining about how they felt short changed or shafted by <insert manufacturer/retailer here>

Not everyone will receive the same RMA experience as each other but the ones that consistently keep a good level of customer service will always be more popular then the ones that really could care less about their customers and thus treat them badly as people who have had good experiences will recommend them.

For me, XFX werent very nice to me when i contacted them about needing to remove the stock cooler off my 6970s to apply some MX-4 TIM.

I'll leave it at that anyway....

as for the trouble you have had with stuff going wrong and having to RMA stuff, Maybe you just have bad luck :p

I went through a bad patch where a PSU blew, part friend a 4870 which went for an RMA, then blew again within two weeks, so I had a PSU and 2 GPU's to replace technically.

My dad is actually shit scared of my rig suddenly bursting into flames.

19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Found a dfi might try rma'ing the gb and selling it.

20. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I am beginning to realize that all Thermaltake products are crap. Their coolers, fans, cases, and power supplies are all over-rated (literally, they don't measure up to their rated performance, whether it's TDP, voltage, CFMs, or dBA ratings they always seem to fall short of the claims on their packaging and in their spec sheets. Some of their PSUs actually caught fire when "pushing" them to their rated voltage. Most of their fans couldn't blow out a kitchen match despite having high CFM and static pressure ratings. I own exactly one of their fans; it's the worst one in my system, out of 9 120mm fans. Maybe I should remove it from my system before it catches fire or something. I give every manufacturer at least one chance to provide a decent product that does what it claims to do. I don't expect miracles, and I know a certain percentage of ANY product can be D.O.A. or have manufacturing flaws, so I give them a chance to rectify the situation if the first sample proves damaged. Seems like most of them would rather lose a customer and all the good faith he or she could generate, just to save a buck or two, even when the customer is absolutely in the right. Greed has no bounds - "Let The Buyer Beware!" is a good motto.

BlackOmega says thanks.
  21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake has really turned out around in the past couple of years. Right now there AIO watercooling units are some of the best available, have some of the best fans on them and there power supplies are good according to johny guru.

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    did you record the Model and Revision number down along with the serial number?

Id honestly would drop the H55 for a 75 chipset. that or change board makers.

Im wondering if ram or even bad caps are the cause

23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I did not jot them down, but have the serial in my email. I am seriously looking at ditching it for a P55 dfi mobo.

24. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    JohnnyGuru says NO GO

Here's the newest Thermaltake PSU review I could find on JohnnyGuru.com;
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=301
    It says that, as shipped, the unit is a fire hazard, because of an 18 gauge power cord that can't handle a full load. Not encouraging. And he gives this top-of-the-line PSU an 8.5 overall rating. So what were you saying?

25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    id honestly would move up to a P57 or Q57 Chipset. DFI being discontinued good luck on Support from them too bro.

I made a mistake with the chipset because i didnt realize you had a 1156 CPU

drop the attitude

On another note is easy to change chords, a 14 AWG 3-6 foot chord is needed for PSUs in the 1K range

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012