• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Tomb Raider (Discussion)

I think they look similar. Like I said, everything in Rise of the Tomb Raider is darker so eyes, eye brows, skin, and hair is darker. The jaw might be a tiny bit more square but that's about the only thing I'm picking up on.

The eye brows and facial structure is completely wrong in both characters if you go back to the original:

A petition should be made until Laras head is as big as her torso.

I think she looks different but in a good way. The reboot had her looking like her mom.

I dont see it

The entire facial structure looks different to me. From the jaw line to the nose to eye spacing and type.

That pictures was at the beginning of the game, Intro. By the end she looked different

You can say that the new Tomb Raider she looks more like her British Dad.

I think they are still using the same base model just been adjusting it as they go along.

They are always going to look slightly different from In-game, cut-scenes and photo renders.

Last edited:
All those Lara pictures are not "ingame" they're just renders. Ingame Lara (for some odd reason) has Asian eyes. None of them look like original anyway. Originally Lara had brown eyes. Now they made them hazel or whatever that color is.

Processor q6600 G0 @ 2.8Ghz
Motherboard ex38 DS4
Cooling air
Memory 4 *1gig tracer ballistic
Video Card(s) sapphire dual bios 6950
Storage ssd- sandisk 120gb, sata- 2 500gb samsung in raid 1 & 1 samsung 400gb
Display(s) LG w2452tx
Case nzxt
Audio Device(s) na
Power Supply hiper 730
Mouse g9
Keyboard bt microsoft arch
Software win7
I enjoyed the last one, but agree it's not anything like the 1 or 2nd one. It's more like Uncharted with a girl.

Yeah I agree, they have strayed a fair bit from the old games, man I loved them first TR games, the eye candy is nice but I'd rather the game-play of the old games, they were proper challenges, you're sort of spoon feed through the games nowadays unfortunately.

:lovetpu:

AOD was one of the worst received titles in TR history, and plagued with many bugs.
Speaking for myself I've never encountered a single bug and I've completed PS2 and PC versions trillion times. I emulated PS2 on PC using PCSX2 and even then I had no bugs and was able to complete the game. There are three or four untextured surfaces (Louvre rooftop) in PC version but that's hardly a bug and it doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

New video. This time more details and some exciting footage

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Speaking for myself I've never encountered a single bug and I've completed PS2 and PC versions trillion times. I emulated PS2 on PC using PCSX2 and even then I had no bugs and was able to complete the game. There are three or four untextured surfaces (Louvre rooftop) in PC version but that's hardly a bug and it doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

Apparently you missed the barrage of complaints about the PC version being littered with bugs. You're probably forgetting most of them.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Apparently you missed the barrage of complaints about the PC version being littered with bugs. You're probably forgetting most of them.

I seem to remember hordes of people complaining about how broken it was, and even that there were several community patches to make it playable. AoD is WIDELY considered to be the worst Tomb Raider made.

Not really. I played it recently for the nth time (vanilla version). I had some missing textures like I said before and a couple of sound glitches. Nothing critical. I know about AoD's bad rep. Crystal Dynamics tried too hard to belittle it in every possible game magazines back in the Underworld era (2008) and praised their Legend.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Not really. I played it recently for the nth time (vanilla version). I had some missing textures like I said before and a couple of sound glitches. Nothing critical. I know about AoD's bad rep. Crystal Dynamics tried too hard to belittle it in every possible game magazines back in the Underworld era (2008) and praised their Legend.

You also have to take into account how it played on existing hardware for months after release though, which is where all the neg criticism comes from. Playing years later after all the patches and on much more powerful hardware is apples and oranges. the sys reqs were one of the key complaints, which were high for the time, yet bad lag in places even with such hardware.

I do recall not just bad texture bugs, but also horrible lag in places, and I was playing on what was pretty good hardware at the time. Also big among complaints were controls, combat and camera.

I was hoping it would be good, because I liked the level design and story, but technically it didn't live up to the creative end. IMO Anniversary was their peak, and I fear they will never get to that level of quality again, esp with the direction they're going lately.

You also have to take into account how it played on existing hardware for months after release though, which is where all the neg criticism comes from. Playing years later after all the patches and on much more powerful hardware is apples and oranges. the sys reqs were one of the key complaints, which were high for the time, yet bad lag in places even with such hardware.

I do recall not just bad texture bugs, but also horrible lag in places, and I was playing on what was pretty good hardware at the time. Also big among complaints were controls, combat and camera.

I was hoping it would be good, because I liked the level design and story, but technically it didn't live up to the creative end. IMO Anniversary was their peak, and I fear they will never get to that level of quality again, esp with the direction they're going lately.

I see what you mean. AoD had a small dev and tester team and they rushed it. It was the first Tomb Raider game that didn't use grid system. It was Core's the very first next-gen game (they used their free running engine for AoD). Pretty ambitious project, they wanted to make it downloadable (each season new episode). It was pretty big game even after they scrapped it, it still was meant to be a trilogy. I guess they didn't have enough experience with next-gen technologies, they weren't really ready for PS2 era. So they left AoD and TRAE unfinished. As for controls I didn't really have problems with that. Don't remember lags on my old system and I never used any patches. Runs on Windows 10 as well.

Anniversary was made by other company. I didn't really like it, how many times Lara fell for her doom because of wrong camera angles, while I never had camera problems in Legend. And Anniversary came after Legend ... And why on Earth Lara looked like Angelina Jolie in Anniversary is beyond me.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@Drone, even though the LAU games had a real model used as the inspiration for Lara, the slight change to more resemblance to Angelina was intentional.

If you remember, that was when the Tom Raider movies were released, and they intended to capitalize on that.

@Drone, even though the LAU games had a real model used as the inspiration for Lara, the slight change to more resemblance to Angelina was intentional.

If you remember, that was when the Tom Raider movies were released, and they intended to capitalize on that.
Yes, I know but for me AJ never felt like Lara. Legend had "plastic" Lara, Underworld had "gremlin" Lara lol. Underworld beta and Legend alpha had perfect Lara models, shame they didn't use that.

She was perfect in AoD, so badass and tough. Plus, voice acting was phenomenal - Jonell Elliott :love:

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Anniversary was made by other company. I didn't really like it, how many times Lara fell for her doom because of wrong camera angles, while I never had camera problems in Legend. And Anniversary came after Legend ... And why on Earth Lara looked like Angelina Jolie in Anniversary is beyond me.

Anniversary was made by Crystal Dynamics, whom set the standard for quality TR games. At that time they were under Eidos though. Since Square Enix came in, a lot of things have changed, and it's not CD's fault. Anniversary's complex gym training intro should have been a clue to many that it was not for the feint hearted platforming wise. I suspect many skipped it, thinking they wouldn't need the practice.

The falls in Anniversary are not the fault of the game. There were lots of forum posts complaining about the jumping and grappling difficulties, but it was always either user error (not knowing how the controls work), or lack of precise timing or positioning. It's a game that has very dynamic and challenging platforming, but once you understand how it works, it's not nearly as hard as many made it sound.

The majority of the time someone insisted a jump was impossible, they weren't even aware that the directional key you use correlates with the position you put the camera in. In the few areas where there's a fixed camera angle, there's only one direction that works, and you have to know what it is. The reality is, a lot of people just panicked or got frustrated with their initial failures, instead of carefully observing or reading guides.

Anniversary is a brilliant game, and I've not seen anything with such a sophisticated level of platforming since. The boss fights were pretty good too. A lot of people insisted the platforming was broken or too hard, but in all my play throughs, there was ever only one particular wall grapple jump to a med size health pack that I sometimes skipped due to it's difficulty, and I was playing it at age 49, so my dexterity and reflexes weren't exactly legendary.

The boss fights were pretty good too
Actually they were pretty awful. All of them are scripted arena-type battles with forced "wait-for-reticules-to-come-together" nonsense. Even weapon choice was meaningless. What's the point in using strong weapon when it all was about adrenaline dodge. All human boss battles were scripted QTE crap. Lara crying over Larson body and looking at her hands? What's cool about it?

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Even weapon choice was meaningless.

This right here tells me you either weren't paying attention to detail, or have forgotten much of it.

The Centurion boss fight for instance requires a grapple pull of the shield, then a shotgun breaks down their stone state, when vulnerable after that, pistols will do.

The T-Rex is another example. You can take a long time doing lateral jump rolls and using the pistol, or lure it into the spiked logs and make things far quicker.

You are severely understating the sophistication of these boss fights. I find it odd you agree the franchise needs to go back to it's cerebral roots, yet when it comes to the most cerebral game in the series, you say it's one of the worst, stating only story reasons at first, and now claiming boss battles were too simple.

You're really not describing Anniversary accurately at all, save for maybe two of the original levels missing, which didn't really affect the game that much.

This right here tells me you either weren't paying attention to detail, or have forgotten much of it.

The Centurion boss fight for instance requires a grapple pull of the shield, then a shotgun breaks down their stone state, when vulnerable after that, pistols will do.

The T-Rex is another example. You can take a long time doing lateral jump rolls and using the pistol, or lure it into the spiked logs and make things far quicker.

You are severely understating the sophistication of these boss fights. I find it odd you agree the franchise needs to go back to it's cerebral roots, yet when it comes to the most cerebral game in the series, you say it's one of the worst, stating only story reasons at first, and now claiming boss battles were too simple.

I used pistols only in all boss fights. They are all predictable and require the same actions over and over again (dodge-slo-mo-shoot).
Centaur battle didn't even make sense. It was Medusa whose gaze turned people to stone, not centaurs, and it was bugged, you could hide and make centaurs kill each other. T-rex battle was bugged too. You could simply hide in the corner where it couldn't reach you and shoot it to death. And even Torso battle was bugged. Many people reported that Torso didn't die even when his HP was 0%. (you can youtube it)

Core's (unreleased) TRAE was perfect. It had proper Larson, Pierre, Cowboy, Kold, Kid, giant spider battles, plus bonus escape level and of course Atlantean War Machine battle. That's how Anniversary should've been done.

And level design was pretty poor. All walls were "peppered" with white ledges, hooks and poles, no single location in real life would look like that. Instead of free climbing it was scripted linear and limited.

You're really not describing Anniversary accurately at all
It's my opinion. I'm not making things up, just stating objective points.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
...and it was bugged, you could hide and make centaurs kill each other. T-rex battle was bugged too. You could simply hide in the corner where it couldn't reach you and shoot it to death.

This reeks of someone playing on the easiest mode, and even then, looking for exploits, rather than taking on the challenges as designed. On the hardest mode, the more powerful weapons help, and even just having the additional ammo, which you get less of on higher difficulties.

Anniversary is still the game in the series known for the most challenge in puzzles, platforming and combat, and you're passing it off as an easy, boring game. I don't believe a word you're saying. It sounds like you never even played on the hardest mode, and just hid in corners praying for an exploit to be revealed.

This reeks of someone playing on the easiest mode, and even then, looking for exploits, rather than taking on the challenges as designed. On the hardest mode, the more powerful weapons help, and even just having the additional ammo, which you get less of on higher difficulties.

Anniversary is still the game in the series known for the most challenge in puzzles, platforming and combat, and you're passing it off as an easy, boring game. I don't believe a word you're saying. It sounds like you never even played on the hardest mode, and just hid in corners praying for an exploit to be revealed.

Easiest mode? Really? Whateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeva. I won't waste a single femtosecond on you. Go kiss CD's ass.

New gameplay video. Some swimming this time

New interviews and gameplay. 10-15 hours for main campaign isn't too much

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
Nice gfx, finally something worthy of a name next-gen.

Gameplay looks good too.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
New interviews and gameplay. 10-15 hours for main campaign isn't too much
I did Tomb Raider 17 hours getting 100% on the campaign. I believe that was on the hardest difficulty too.

the first 27 mins
I'm seeing what you were saying now. I just stopped about a minute in with her face paused. Lara Croft doesn't come to mind--she's not recognizable.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Exactly. In terms of character design, that's about the worst move that could be made.