1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba Portege M900 shuts down right after Windows starts loading

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bim27142, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    my toshiba portege m900 shuts down the moment windows starts loading AND this only happens during the first boot up for the day.

details:

in the morning, i turn it on, first time it was turned on for the day, then the moment windows starts loading (vista - loading bar / windows 7 - when the windows logo shines) then it will shutdown completely.

when i turn it again, it will now proceed to loading windows (of course i get the error that windows was not shutdown properly, blah blah...... so i just select "start normally" then ok), then i can use my laptop normally.

i doubt it's a software issue since the same thing happened when on windows 7 and when on the default OS vista (i ran factory recovery to see if it helps but same problem happened).

i also ran memtest and ran diagnostics on the HDD using seatools, but found no errors...

i think it's with a certain hardware device somewhere/somehow and when windows loads the driver for that particular device, it crashes the whole system...

by the way, it won't shut down when i boot in to safe mode only even if it's first start up for the day...

the big question now is which hardware is most likely at fault here... :banghead:

appreciate your inputs guys...

thanks!!
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Check your Wifi adaptor. remove it and see if it still happens
  3. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    ^ alright, will try that one later when I get home...
  4. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    ok.... i didn't touch the wifi card yet.... but........... i ran the laptop without the battery (just the ac adapter), and the issue didn't re-occur for 2 days...

i tried reconnecting the battery just now and it shut down again just as windows started loading... by the way, battery charge level is still at 80%... :(

is it possible that the battery is the culprit? i don't see any link... :(
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    nor do i... run some more tests on it
  6. bim27142

bim27142

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys, the issue seems to have persisted, and it's starting to get worst... it now shuts down even if the AC adapter is connected during initial start up for the day (cold boot).

I found this thread, though a different model but somehow the symptoms are very similar and their explanation seem to make sense.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-54070_35_50.html#t305222