1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Minecraft Server

Discussion in 'Games' started by newtekie1, Feb 2, 2011.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Like OMG anyways it's frigging $4 lol.

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Which means most people will buy it, play it for a couple days and then never touch it again. Not worth my money if nobody is going to play it seriously. I would rather just play minecraft on difficult or something.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  3. ChevyOwner

ChevyOwner

Thanks Received:
    I am not going to buy that because if I am going to play a game like that for me it will need much better graphics then Minecraft.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Then you should look into StarForge. It's also on the Unity engine but the world is smooth as opposed to voxel. It's in early stages of development as well.

7 Days to Die too. They've done a lot of work since the Kickstarter to improve, well, everything.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ChevyOwner

ChevyOwner

Thanks Received:
    There is one I am watching, and Minecraft is not bad.
    One common thing I see with the average Minecraft user is that they do not understand java or 32 bit vs 64 bit.
    Minecraft (even says this in game) recommends 64-bit java to run the best it can. My Minecraft client uses 4GB out of the 6GB I am letting it access at the main menu.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Never mind all the viruses you can get due to java.. In fact wa only last month some one asked me to sort there laptop out which ended up being a java backing up unsafe content. They quit playing MC even after i told them the chances are you did not get it due to MC unless you download stuff for it.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    More often than not, I find that it's usually a user who doesn't know better who downloads something that is seemingly okay when it's not and Java just happens to be the way that particular piece of software leveraged (I mean, why not? Most machines can run Java applications much like how most users have Windows.) Java might have its issues but how you use it also has a big impact on how badly it can hose your machine. Java alone isn't bad by any means and someone who knows what their doing can avoid issues.

Also with that said, there is a lot of software that businesses use and rely on every day that use Java or some derivative of it, off of it, or on top of it. I wouldn't imagine companies who rely on languages like Groovy or Clojure to do it because it's an insecure platform that keeps your front door open at all times.

A Java virus is in the same boat as a regular virus. How did the person get it? It's not like Java went on the internet, found a virus, and ran it because it felt like it. Don't blame the software for the shortcomings of the user. Being knowledgeable about the technology you use is important.

8. ChevyOwner

ChevyOwner

Thanks Received:
    Even if the virus got on the system while s/he was playing or downloading something for Minecraft. I would guess it was some ad on the internet that gave him/her the virus.
    I have found the best solution to prevent viruses is to use an ad-blocker.

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It is very bad. The fact it has no unsigned primitives means lots of unneeded conversions which results in horrendous code. You know how easy it is to convert someone from Java to C#? Just get them to download Visual Studio Express and C# sells itself. Java is garbage. If Microsoft committed to .NET working on Linux and Mac, Java would likely be phased out over 10 years.

Minecraft has absolutely no reason to use 3+ GiB of memory. It's just one sign of how poorly it is designed. It also is very CPU dependent where games are increasingly becoming GPU dependent. I've looked through some of Minecraft's decompiled code a year or two ago and it is nothing short of a trainwreck.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    When Mojang started on the Pi Edition, they should have converted the PC version to Python (the same language as the one used for the Pi Edition).

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    does look fun - minecraft lacks real base defense stuff.

12. ChevyOwner

ChevyOwner

Thanks Received:
    I don't run vanilla minecraft.
    Android mostly runs on java. Do you say android is garbage?
    Decompilied code has proven to be 100% accurate to the original source now?

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Only the UI of Android is Java-based and compared to Windows Phone, yes, it is garbage. Windows Phone uses a fraction of the hardware resources Android uses and it achieves a lot more (transitions, animations, etc.) with it.

It's not decompiled, it is reflected. Decompile implies machine code and JVM/.NET don't run machine code. Reflected code is functionally identical to the source code. The only thing that is different is there are no comments and internal variables don't have their original, (should be) descriptive names. My comments were about the functional parts.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU