1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    10% car antifreeze/90% distilled water
    OR
    10% non-toxic antifreeze*/90% distilled water
    *Propylene Glycol
    OR
    straight distilled water

All will work out fine.... going over 10% mix is a waste and a potential loss of cooling performance. I use straight distilled in my loop btw ;)

***EDIT- you should be able to find Propylene Glycol at a smoke shop/cigar store- It's used for cigar humidors and is the "juice" in some e-cigs
    ** EDIT(2)- at a cigar shop it's called "activator solution"... example:
    http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_AS-4.html

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for some advice on a Steam Machine that might crunch depending on how much money I throw at it. BlueBumbleBee said the people that normally hang out in System Builder Advice are anti-DC, so any advice from more sensible people such as yourselves would be greatly appreciated. The thread can be found here.
    Need CPU advice as for what gives me good value and nice PPD without sacrificing PPD/watt. Also need mobo/memory advice following the same criteria. Prefer having the option to overclock for extra value.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Whoa. Not anti-DC, they often just don't understand our form of insanity.:laugh:

xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  4. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    What I found works excellent is the "gold" anti-freeze. This is the non-toxic type anti-freeze found in most all newer vehicles. Put 25% of this to 75% pure distilled water and boom, you have an anti-corrosive coolant that works excellent with mixed metals such as brass, aluminum, and copper all in the same system. You can toss in a dose of anti-bacterial chemical to insure no growth happens, however if you drain and change your fluid solution semi-annually this will not be an issue anyhow.

Arjai and xvi say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I would likely be using the yellow Prestone coolant you can use anywhere excluding GM Dexcool vehicles then, will have to make sure I use a fresh container with distilled water if I chose not to use just 100% distilled water. Also curious what diameter tubing I need, and it would be neat if I could add a fill port on the pump intake line and keep it elevated above the pump because the radiator is mounted in the top front fan mount of a Fractal Design Define XL R2 which places the pump a good couple inches above the radiator and thus is sucking air in when the pump isn't primed.

6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    A tee line just in front of the pump intake is often the inexpensive solution for this. You'd need a tee, an extra section of hose, and a fillport not too unlike this (miniature reservoir not required):

[​IMG]

Also, I think it's getting rather hot today. Came home to find CPU temps pretty darn high. Ambient is 29c. Fans are on loud. 25c above ambient. :(

[​IMG]

T-Bob and Recca29 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    I have found, if your going to build a loop, that 1/2" ID (13mm) works very well. Easy to find fittings, Tee's, and elbows for. If your doing an existing system such as the one your describing, I think most of them are usually 3/8" or 10mm tubing. Some are even 1/4". On an existing system you might have to cut the tubing to find out for sure.
    If your local stores don't have what your looking for, McMaster Carr is an excellent source for hardware.

Here is a link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-tubing-hose-fittings/=srf4qd

I found that their Neoprene tubing is very good quality and very flexible: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-and-rubber-tubing/=srf5e0

9. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Since it's an AIO he should be able to just go with 1/4" ID tubing.... available at your local hardware store or Home Depot. You should be able to pick up that plastic tee there as well.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Justin, those hoses are 1/4in and I am having the same issue with my H50. It has sprung a leak at piping after the rad so I am going to cut out the old plastic piping and use some faucet hose with the aluminum X pattern and try to add a fill point to see if I can get it full and primed.

T-Bob and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    I had a suspicion they were 1/4" tubing.

12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pulled the following components from this DELL XPS that a co-worker gave to me as they didn't know what to do with it:)
    [​IMG]
    ATI HD 3650 256MB
    [​IMG]
    Q6600:)
    [​IMG]
    DDR2 RAM:
    [​IMG]
    The DELl XPS also had this TV tuner installed:
    [​IMG]
    Thinking of making a cruncher our of it. I am not going to use the motherboard though as I do not want to mess with a DELL bios. I also have some nicer DDR2 RAM. Thinking of running it with Linux so I might need some help:)

T-Bob, TRWOV, Chevalr1c and 5 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    I received an email today from WCG with an update about the HCC project we all so enthusiastically participated in, and I thought it worthy to share in case someone missed it.

Pretty good read, and it shows how much work really is involved in this research, and also how much of a roll we as Crunchers can play in it. :)

By: Help Conquer Cancer research team

9 Jul 2014
    [​IMG]
    SummaryThe research team expands to advance their analysis of the millions of protein-crystallization images processed by World Community Grid volunteers. This will help scientists understand how protein structure can lead to better cancer drug design.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dear World Community Grid volunteers,

Since you completed your calculations for Help Conquer Cancer(HCC) in 2013, we have begun analyzing the results you generated. Here, we provide an update on that analysis work as next steps to publish our findings and make the data publicly available.

Analyzing Results

Biologists and medical researchers use the three-dimensional (3D) structure of proteins to design drugs and understand protein function. Solving a protein's 3D structure requires a long and difficult sequence of steps. The protein needs to be made into a pure crystal (like you might do to crystalize sugar by slowly evaporating sugar water.) Then X-rays are shown through the crystal, and the neat array of protein molecules in the crystal creates a pattern on the film which can be analyzed mathematically to ascertain the structure of each protein molecule. Unlike sugar, protein is notoriously difficult to crystallize. HCC addressed this bottleneck in the pipeline: with a method for recognizing successfully formed protein crystals in images taken from a very large number of automated experimental attempts. For HCC, World Community Grid volunteers analyzed hundreds of millions of these images, but these results need to be processed further in order to generate reliable automatic image classifiers, discover trends in data, and ultimately improve our understanding how proteins form crystals. Our analysis work is in progress, and there are some exciting results we will be reporting on next time.

Additionally, over the last year we have devoted considerable energy and resources to our new project on World Community Grid - Mapping Cancer Markers (MCM), and other cancer-gene-signature projects that our research group is involved in. To help with both priorities and directions, our team expanded and we have a new Post-Doctoral Fellow (Dr. Lisa Yan) helping us with advancing our HCC research.

Publishing our results and findings

We have not yet decided the time-frame or the exact form of how we will make the HCC data you generated available to the public. Thanks to World Community Grid volunteers, our project's terabytes of raw image data have been transformed into terabytes of computed image features (morphological image properties used in automated image classification). The identity of proteins in the crystallization trials is largely unknown to us and partially unknown even to the Hauptman Woodward Institute (HWI), the source of the images. The features we have computed do not directly relate to crystallization outcomes or human-understandable image labels. A classifier is required to translate computed features to meaningful human labels or experimental outcomes. We have trained multiple image classifiers so far, but are confident that we can improve them. It is essential (and practical) that we finish this part of research, and publish our findings before releasing the useful data.

Paper publications

The Grid-computed results of Help Conquer Cancer have yet to be fully analyzed. Once complete, we intend to publish one or more papers based on the analysis, but cannot currently estimate a time-frame.

Collaborations

The High-Throughput Screening Lab at HWI supplied the original protein-crystallization image data, and indeed continues to generate more. Both HWI and the scientists who send them protein samples will benefit from the HCC research in two ways: better systems for automatically classifying protein-crystallization images (saving time and manual labour), and better understanding of the protein crystallization process.

Taken from here

T-Bob, Chevalr1c, james888 and 6 others say thanks.
  14. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys (concerning the watercooling advice). I'm not ready to rip apart the AIO yet as I'm too busy with college and work as it's around the end of the semester, but hopefully it retains enough fluid to keep going. My 4770K at 4GHz/1.1v core/1.15v ring is crunching at around 80c on it, so as long as the coolant keeps flowing I should be fine for now.

15. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Might be interested in the tuner card if you don't have a need for it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I have one if you need one- Hauppauge PVR 150 or something similar (PCI version)

EDIT- nvm... mine is a few years older than that one :ohwell:

t_ski says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pm sent

t_ski says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Mobo looks much nicer than the one in my Dell Dimension E520, too bad I only have mBTX towers from that era. The E520 is running a QX6800 currently (i965G motherboard, so no 45nm chips) along with a GTX 460 768MB shoehorned in it, and has a blown capacitor next to the northbridge but it still works fine.

19. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I was fixing Dell boards with bad caps at work. It was ridiculous for them to ask for $200 a mobo when I could fix it for $5 in parts and a little bit of my time.

T-Bob, manofthem and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    New WCG update on the MCM project:

Project roadmap and first phase results from the Mapping Cancer Markers team[​IMG][​IMG]

By: The Mapping Cancer Markers research team

10 Jul 2014
    [​IMG]
    SummaryThe lead researcher for Mapping Cancer Markers presents a roadmap for the project to analyze signatures for 4 types of cancer: lung, ovarian, prostate and sarcoma; an update on his team’s progress thus far, and an invitation to join the research team in an August cancer fundraiser.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On behalf of the Mapping Cancer Markers team, we want to start by saying thank you! In just 7 months, World Community Grid members have donated over 60,000 years of processing time to support our research. As a result, we are nearly done with the “benchmarking” portion of the project, which determines the characteristics of our search space. Over the coming months and years, we will pursue more targeted approaches to discover relevant gene signatures. Today we want to give you both a high-level roadmap and some further detail about what is happening with the project.

Project roadmap

The project is anticipated to run for two years, and we plan to analyze signatures for 4 different types of cancer. At the moment, we're enlisting your help to process research tasks for lung cancer, and will move on to ovarian cancer, prostate cancer and sarcoma.

Currently, the Mapping Cancer Markers project has two phases:
    • In the first phase we have been attempting to set a benchmark for further experiments.
    • The second phase will be geared towards finding clinically useful molecular signatures, initially focusing on gene signatures that can predict the occurrence of various types of cancer.
    We expect a smooth transition between the two phases, with no interruption in work. The “benchmarking” phase of our project is important not only for our own research, but for other researchers around the world. Every year, numerous groups worldwide develop and publish interesting molecular signatures for various diseases, including multiple cancers. One of the challenges of interpreting these findings is that many of the reports are not directly comparable to each other. The benchmarking phase of our project is designed to set a standard benchmark so that we and other groups can estimate how well individual signatures perform.

You can think of this benchmarking phase as a bit like designing an IQ test. By establishing a standard test and scoring system, we can evaluate any person's intelligence. The results from the first phase of Mapping Cancer Markers will allow us to create such a test for existing and future gene signatures, so that we can tell which ones have the best predictive ability.

Benchmarking

Our preliminary analysis of the work units processed so far (roughly 26 billion gene signatures) is focused on the nature of genes in the signatures, measuring their quality by assessing how accurately they contribute to identifying patients with poor prognosis. On the analytics side, we have also been evaluating the use of a software package to aid with post-processing our results.

One of the goals of the first project phase is to understand if some genes might have better predictive ability than others. To do this, we took the top 0.1% of the gene signatures and identified the individual genes that make up each signature. For each gene, we looked at how many times it occurred within top scoring signatures and plotted the scores of those signatures (see figure below). The blue line shows the average of all of the genes together. The red line highlights the worst-performing single gene while the green line indicates our best-performing gene. The average of all the genes is very similar to the worst single gene. This is not surprising, because most genes are likely to have poor predictive ability. However, we are looking for the few genes that stand out from the field. In other words, if we have 1 million potential gene signatures, and we look at the top 1,000 scoring signatures, we can find groups of genes such as the one shown in green, which have better predictive ability.
    [​IMG]
    This information is important because if we know which genes have the best predictive ability, it may help us and other researchers to evaluate the value of other signatures: if an unknown signature has one of the top genes in it, it is likely to be a useful signature for identifying, assessing, predicting or treating a disease.

As a side note, this benchmarking process is why members may have experienced shorter or longer than usual runtimes over the past several months. The core algorithm of the Mapping Cancer Markers engine, used to evaluate each potential gene signature, has a processing time that is highly dependent on the statistical characteristics of each signature. The search space targeted by a single work unit can sometimes contain time-consuming signatures, which together lead to a longer total runtime. This also means variability with the size of Mapping Cancer Markers results. A typical work unit will evaluate tens of thousands of potential gene signatures, many of which are of low quality. Signatures below a certain quality threshold are removed from the returned results. However, the search space targeted by a single work unit can sometimes contain a high proportion of high-quality gene signatures. If this happens, the result file is larger than usual.

Funding & Fundraising

We’re happy to report that there are several potential sources for further funding. Applications are in progress with the Ontario Research Fund, the Canada Foundation for Innovation, and the US Department of Defense. Of course, the free computing power provided by World Community Grid volunteers is absolutely essential to our research. However, additional funding will help us to both leverage contributions from volunteers, and fully utilize findings of the Mapping Cancer Markers computations, with a primary focus on lung and ovarian cancer.

Finally, if you will be in Ontario between 15-17 August, please consider donating to, or cheering on the Team Ian Ride from Kingston to Montreal, which raises money for the Ian Lawson Van Toch Cancer Informatics Fund at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre (if you are interested, please contact us about joining the Team Ian ride this or next year). If you can join us, it will give you the chance to meet some of the research team, as well as raise money for a worthy cause and participate in an outstanding event. For more details visit: http://www.team-ian.org/

My favorite line:

Taken from here

:D, keep up the fine work team!

T-Bob, stinger608, xvi and 3 others say thanks.
  21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Ok team, if anyone just happens to have a Fx 8320 or 8350 cpu and some 1866 1.5v memory they want to let go, I am looking to buy by next Friday. If I haven't found any good used parts to the EGG I will go on Friday. Also Looking for more then one proc and atleast 2 sets of 1866 1.5v mem.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    T-Bob, xvi, Vinska and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    This is why I'm surprised that BOINC sets the default work buffer to 0.2 days (4.8 hours). Seems like it should be one day minimum.

Looks like it lasted ~5h 20m this time.

manofthem and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Well, I just hosed up one of my rigs. I noticed my daily output was done, so I took a look and saw one PC was note responding normally. I went to reboot it, but picked the wrong PC (they're all on a KVM). The one I rebooted was in the middle of doing updates, so the OS is hosed with a kernel panic error message. I guess it will sit until I get a chance to mess with it. :banghead:

stinger608, manofthem and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I am getting this set up today:
    [​IMG]

@ThE_MaD_ShOt Thank you and thanks to team

Crunching for Team TPU