1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have no clue why I called him that in the first place. I only caught it when I was editing my post hahaha
    F150_Raptor says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    I've been called worse.:roll:
  3. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No comments on the ecocker LOL
    brandonwh64 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Master PCIe slot died on my M5A99X EVO refurb, so I mailed off that !@#$ to Geeks today and am getting a refund. Going to find something cheap on the egg to replace it. :(

It's a shame since the UEFI was beautiful and it seemed like a nice board, but no more in stock at Geeks so bye bye.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    You should have been able to RMA that direct to ASUS- did you give it a shot?
  6. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    :banghead::banghead::banghead: Damn, just got a call from my frigging cable company saying that the service will be down for possibly 2 days due to replacing a main line just down the street!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

They are saying it will be shut down yet today.......So that could happen any time now as it is after 4 PM in the afternoon!

Well crap, I guess my numbers will go all to shit for a bit.........Sorry team!!!!:(:(:(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Fill up your work buffers, grab a tent and sleeping bag and go enjoy the great outdoors.... the sky must be spectacular at night out your way. We have too much light pollution here.

Hope you're back up soon :)
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bummer man! :(

I've only had net for like one hour in the past two days man, it sucks! Hope you are back online soon man.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I second that notion. :rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Out at Barnes and Nobel right now on my Eee Pad LOL. At least I have internet.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I thought you were old... how do you see that little screen! :laugh: :roll:
    stinger608 says thanks.
  12. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    :roll: That was frigging funny! Well it's a 10" screen, so not to bad. :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Thanks Received:
  14. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    The same can not understand why he was gone. Just built a powerful system ... He said nothing to anyone. If something happens bad, he would not remove the avatar and signature at the bottom. I do not know, i hope everything is OK, but still worried.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Norton

Thanks Received:

It may have been a misunderstanding from the beginning. He responded as many of us would have in his situation.

As I've said previously, I miss seeing his posts on these forums and wish him well even if he doesn't post here anymore....
  16. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I also wish him all the best, even if he does not talk here.
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I also hope he makes it back here.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Did you guys ever look up his WCG ID and see that he's on a different team (since on WCG you can only be associated with one team at a time)? You'll see that he's with another team that I will not mention the name of as I have no involvement with this. Just go on Free-DC and find out yourself if you haven't already.
  19. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Yelp we found to out right after he left. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i also havent seem him in quite a while...lets hope he is well and its just a misunderstanding :)
  21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough. Unfortunate to see him unexpectedly leave and break all communications since I saw him as a major WCG contributor and he used to post a lot of science/technology related threads. :cry:

Aside from that, I put in a juicy order with Newegg (after finding $40 worth of promo codes I could use) and ended up getting a new Acer 1080p monitor for work, ASRock 990FX Extreme4, Rosewill RANGER-M case for my Thuban rig (on a tiny Biostar A780L3B), Xigmatek Loki for the Thuban, and a 4 pack of Rosewill 12cm fans. Thursday should be exciting.

And Norton, I know you suggested RMAing to ASUS twice, but RMAs really frustrate me so I just sent the darn board back to Geeks for a refund. If they only give me store credit, I'm going to probably order their $115 GTX 460 1GB OEM for folding (and some SLi action with my EVGA 460 1GB). I know it was a nice board and all, but having 2 PCIe slots die on a freshly refurbished board was quite sad and I didn't want any possible BS with getting back another "repaired" board and having more issues. If they were going to give me a new one, maybe I made a mistake, but I'm going 990FX now anyway. The 990FX Extreme4 is rather "boring" but I only spend a day or two tweaking clocks in the UEFI before I'm done indefinitely. Plus, 36 PCIe lanes is pretty badass at least. :rockout:
    Norton and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Sorry didn't realize I did it twice :eek: It's just that the board is working well for me so I hate to see one go back. Those Asrock boards are pretty nice too

I'm doing a bunch of hardware swaps/upgrades myself... including 2 boxes of Rosewill fans :laugh: Good luck on your upgrades :rockout: :toast:

P.S> hunt down some fan screws for the Rosewill's, there's none in the box even though they are clones of the Cooler Master ones (which includes the screws) :banghead:
  23. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Ah, you're right! Oh well, at least I've bought enough Hyper 212 coolers to hopefully have enough screws from the secondary fan mounts (I never push/pull) to mount those fans. Currently have 2 Masscool 12cm sleeves that are nearly 6 years old and in dire need of replacement.

Unfortunately, I realized they are the sluggish 1200 RPM models too. Might have to keep the Masscools around for VRM cooling on the back panels as they are the normal speed fans. I did get 2 Cougar branded fans with my HEC Blitz cases (put them in my main rig) so maybe I'll swap those out again and add those quiet LED fans for moar LEDs. For 8 bucks with the e-Blast promo code they were still a steal, though. :D

Going to use my 955BE on the 990FX board. Would love to use the 1045T, but since it's my only 95w chip and my Biostar A780L3B (originally a combo with an anemic Sempron 130) shuts down with any chip marked >95w, that's where it stays. Once that board goes (hopefully not soon as it's a month old) I will move the 1045T to the 990FX and try to get 300 HTT on it. :)

Hopefully the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 makes itself a worthy replacement for my dead ASUS Crosshair III Formula. I miss all the lights and little doo-dads that board had. The ASRock board definitely has a ton of connectivity, including legacy IDE and *gasp* a floppy controller. I still use IDE disc drives in most my machines so hopefully it works out well.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and Norton say thanks.
  24. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, just a heads up but it seems wcg is down right now. Don't freak out and think your systems are going nutso.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Hi everybody, I'm back now and have systems up and crunching since last night when I got home from work to find my internet was finally hooked up. Yes 28Mbps D/L and 1Mbps U/L alllll to myself!! :D

And Now WCG is freaking out not because it's down but because all my WU's are on high priority!!! :laugh:
    Norton and Chicken Patty say thanks.