1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Transfering to an External...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by satindemon4u, Oct 24, 2012.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Hello all. Simple question really. Is there anyway to speed up my transfer rate from my PC to my external HDD? Currently I transfer at about 22-26 Mb/sec. This makes me wonder if I am already transferring at the best speed possible. Keep in mind it is USB 2.0 haha. I guess that's it in the most simple form. Thanks!
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You are around the maximum for USB 2.0. Can't do much about it.
    satindemon4u says thanks.
  3. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I figured that. Was just making sure though. Thank you good sir. :) You can go ahead and lock this if you please.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    about the only things you can do to speed it up is to disconnect other USB devices on the same ports (They come in pairs on the mobo, and share bandwidth), or to remove the drive from the USB enclosure and install it internally.
    satindemon4u says thanks.
  5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    so you use a 2TB as an external, probably real pain if you're transferring larges amounts of data

you can take the drive out of the USB enclosure and buy a firewire enclosure for it. or better just remove it altogether and make it as an internal like mussels said. the downside is you would lose portability.
  6. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Very true and I do like it to be portable. I have a large number of movies and music and things of that nature on there so it comes in real handy when I want to go to a friends house or something of that nature. I'm not complaining about the transfer speed whatsoever because most of the time I end up waiting a few minutes for larger files and while transferring I simply do something else.
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you move to a USB 3.0 enclosure (and move the drive across) you will end up with faster speeds, even on USB 2.0 ports.

when i did this with a (slow) WD green 1TB drive, my writes went from roughly 25MB/s to 30MB/s. wasnt a large amount, but when dealing with 100GB or so at a time (which i did regularly) it could save a lot of time.
  8. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Good point and great advice
  9. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Currently, I'm using a Tripp-Lite HDD docking station that uses both USB-2 or Firewire. The Firewire is very fast.

Other than USB-3, if you have an external device that can use an eSATA port to the MB, the speed is like having an internal drive.