• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trouble Extending Desktop

System Name Reebok
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @4.2GHz DO Stepping
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME
Cooling EK-Supreme HF High Flow CPU WB+2 X EK-FC9800 GTX GPU WBS+Gigabyte NB WB+XSPC 120QuadRadw SanAce fans
Memory 3 X 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-PC3 1600 CL8 Kit w Corsair Airflow Fan
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 9800 GTX Black Edition + Point of View 9800 GTX Overclocked Edition+ XFX 9800GT
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + Seagate 600 GB SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM
Case Coolermaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply Corsair HX850W PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Guys,

Ran into this strange issue today. I just wanted to upgrade to the newly released Nvidia drivers. I have one primary monitor and use a dummy plug on my second 9800GTX. Everythin was cool...Was folding flawlessly so far. So uninstalled the old one through Control panel and ran driver sweeper to remove traces. Installed the new driver and rebooted. Got to the desktop. The wallpaper was centered (previously it was stretched)and the taskbar was missing. If I click on any icon, it would open..but I feel in the other monitor. Cos when I used the flip button on my mouse, the windows would be open...but if I would click them..they would go the far right and disappear ...Think its tryin to display on the other monitor. Strange thing is I cant get to any to Nvidia Control panel or any display settings windows to extend my desktop. If I remove the dummy plug and reboot...everything works fine except for the fact that I am unable to fold on the second GPU.

If I connect the dummy plug while the system is running and then go to Nvidia control panel,
it does show me a second display- analog monitor. But if I check the box to enable it and click apply, the check mark automatically goes off and the second display is not enabled.

Does second monitor detection and extension of desktop to it require a reboot? I mean, do I have to reboot if I plug in the dummy plug when the system is running?

I tried Uninstalling the new driver and installing the older one. But the same thing happens. Now I am unable to fold on the second GPU. Have u guys run into issues like this?

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Yes you would have to reboot before the desktop can detect the second card extended.

Quick fix and you've already done this; remove dummy plug from second card, recover your desktop the way you want it, install dummy plug and reboot. Should be straight after reboot.