1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu 12.04

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by NinkobEi, Apr 16, 2012.

1. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    The answer is yes you can upgrade.

http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-1010-to-ubuntu-1104-natty-desktop-a-server/

Press Alt+F2 and type in update-manager -d and follow whatever they say

----------------

Or you may do this in terminal:

Or little bit more verbose

3. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Tried this out and I gotta say, so far its a lot more confusing than the 10.04 I had installed. They tried to make it look better while sacrificing convenience. And that bar on the side is really annoying, even though its auto-hideable. I've also had more of an issue connecting to the windows network than with 10.04, but that's probably my own fault for being stupid.

The Software Center is better I guess, and the installation is easier. Other than that I haven't noticed much of a difference so far.

4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    10.04 still had GNOME 2.x, but know it is their netbook interface Unity. LOL Ubuntu is like Win 8. :laugh:
    Myself, I have got my eye on version 1 of Mageia (a fork of the discontinued Mandriva), but I did not try it that much yet. I got it installed in my VMWare VM within minutes though. :) Quick and easy install.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I don't see blocks floating around. I can deal with Unity, I can't deal with Windows 8. Also it isn't like you're stuck with Gnome and Unity either. For someone with the time, I would recommend a minimum/cli install from the Ubuntu alternate installer or server installer and install everything you want manually.

6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Also you can toss unity if you don't like it. I installed Cinnamon Desktop. I like it so far.

[​IMG]

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:

I think I am going to get this ole Dell system that is doing nothing, and install Linux 12.04 with the cinnamon desktop to give it a shot. Frigging looks pretty cool to be honest. :toast:

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Jackeduphard New Member

Thanks Received:
    its fun so far :) I am loving how much smoother it is :)

Any one know how to install eclipse? I run in to problems every time ... (like the install script wont run .... )

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Your first problem: You're trying to use Eclipse. Learn to use compilers, the CLI, and VIM if you want to develop on *nix correctly. :) Now as far as the dark side (IDEs) are concerned, Netbeans isn't too bad and MonoDevelop for Mono isn't too bad either, but nothing does it like a CLI editor like VIM.

VIM looks something like this:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Jackeduphard New Member

Thanks Received:
    1st everything is in Java (none ee)

I Have used VIM and it works just fine for a text editor.
    I have NetBeans and Eclips on the windows side, soon to be OSX as well. I want it on linux too ... we push our product out on a light vrs of ubuntu ( Lubuntu ) so i want to be able to have a universal box and beable to drop what ever i am working on and I can be home or where evee on my laptop or my desktop or my linux box and be able to work on it ... sound weird?

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    In fact it does sound a little weird imho. I don't see why you can't just have a source tree where you have a bash script (for Mac OS X and *nix,) and a batch or powershell script (for Windows) that compiles your project using the command line compiler (javac) and I would edit code with VIM. The only time I use Netbeans is when I'm too lazy to make a GUI from scratch. Otherwise, when I code, (be it web development or regular application development,) I live inside a terminal (and a browser if it is web development.)

12. Jackeduphard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know what you are saying. To a point, but i want to be able to use a IDE to view edit and log into the repository server and such. (maybe I am lazy???) But I liek to see everything I am working on!?

Are we on the same topic?

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then you need to learn how to use the CLI properly. Sorry, I'm a huge CLI advocate. Plus, it enables you to develop on a machine that isn't the one you're currently working on.

Also, I use GIT for versioning. Nothing is stopping you from using screen or using multiple vim windows, or both.

[​IMG]

I'm a programmer, not a designer.

Attached Files:

• cli.png
      cli.png
      File size:
      70.2 KB
      Views: