• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ugreen NASync DXP4800 Plus

Not saying you're wrong, but the list price of the CPU is US$193 alone...
Also, if you compare it to products from QNAP, Synology, Asustor and Terramaster, then the MSRP isn't looking so bad.
Keep in mind that they have a range of six devices in china, but they're based on different hardware.

I honestly don't believe this is a fly by night thing to shift some boxes, it wouldn't be worth it and if that was the case, I don't believe there would've been any software updates during the review time, but so far I've received two software updates, of which one added Docker support.

Obviously Ugreen has a lot to prove here and maybe they'll realise that it'll cost them to much in the long run to support the software, but I can only base the review on what I have seen and the info that's available now. The fact that it's possible to install a different OS, it's not all that bad either which way, at least at the crowdfunding price point.
That's useful to know, thanks for taking the time to reply.
You've pretty much convinced me it's definitely not the first one and most likely the second one.

And to be clear I'm not commenting on the review, I think the review is fine.
But I'm a bit foolhardy, I think any NAS more than 500$ is not interesting as I'd much rather just build it myself.
People not willing to self-build are instead much more likely to stick to known brands such as QNAP and Synology.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
But I'm a bit foolhardy, I think any NAS more than 500$ is not interesting as I'd much rather just build it myself.
People not willing to self-build are instead much more likely to stick to known brands such as QNAP and Synology.
I don't disagree with you.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Not saying you're wrong, but the list price of the CPU is US$193 alone...
Also, if you compare it to products from QNAP, Synology, Asustor and Terramaster, then the MSRP isn't looking so bad.
Keep in mind that they have a range of six devices in china, but they're based on different hardware.

I honestly don't believe this is a fly by night thing to shift some boxes, it wouldn't be worth it and if that was the case, I don't believe there would've been any software updates during the review time, but so far I've received two software updates, of which one added Docker support.

Obviously Ugreen has a lot to prove here and maybe they'll realise that it'll cost them to much in the long run to support the software, but I can only base the review on what I have seen and the info that's available now. The fact that it's possible to install a different OS, it's not all that bad either which way, at least at the crowdfunding price point.

Dedicated NAS machines such as this are pretty neat, but I don't think I've ever seen one that's "value for money" compared to buying HDD enclosures or building a low-cost PC to act as the "brain" of the NAS. In fact, compared to most high-end enclosures, it's actually cheaper to buy the basic (Pentium Gold G6405T) PowerEdge T150 tower from Dell over here.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dedicated NAS machines such as this are pretty neat, but I don't think I've ever seen one that's "value for money" compared to buying HDD enclosures or building a low-cost PC to act as the "brain" of the NAS. In fact, compared to most high-end enclosures, it's actually cheaper to buy the basic (Pentium Gold G6405T) PowerEdge T150 tower from Dell over here.
Depends how much you care about the space it takes up and how it looks. It's almost always cheaper to DIY. However, you get limited warranty, no software support and you have to figure what went wrong on your own when something goes wrong. So value for money can be more than one thing.
You live in an unfortunate country when it comes to imported electronics as well, so I'm sure getting anything locally assembled will be cheaper.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark v2 Hyperspeed
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
I think this is better (utilizes TrueNAS Scale)

Linxtaar: Wi-Fi Mesh Router + 44TB Storage

Linx.png

What is there not to trust? Apart from the software that is.

I mean, the issue with the fans are related to the software, as it doesn't spin up early enough when the temperature increases, so the CPU hits it thermal limit and then the fan goes nuts. As you can see, I didn't hold back on my criticism either, but it's by no means a horrible piece of kit. It largely does what it promises. I should confess I didn't try their "cloud service" due to not wanting to set up an account on their server in the PRC, just so I can access the NAS when away from home. That part, I don't trust either.

As for techtubers spamming, well, we're actually quite late with this review, for various reasons and you can find reviews of sorts at at least a dozen or so sites by now, some with more serious testing like TPU than others.

Well, you have an Arm based NAS, very different user base. You can't expand your RAM, you don't have support for NVMe drives, you're "limited" to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet and so forth.
Yes, you have a much more power efficient device, no doubts about it and I'm guessing QNAP has enough native software for you not needing to run stuff in Docker to get the software features you want? Yes, your NAS supports Docker, but I doubt it does hardware video transcoding, nor do you appear to have an HDMI out for direct video playback.
My point being, different people have different needs and if you're happy with the features you bought, then that's great, but other people have more demanding needs.
Is the DXP4800 Plus perfect? Far from it, but at least for the Kickstarter pricing, it's going to be attractive to a lot of people.
Nascompares made a video right away warning everyone about the problems and promises from Ugreen to fix it.

Is a lot to do not trust in a ABSURD NEW company when it comes to NAS..... is all your important data in a charger and cables company.
They don't even start to develop a community yet to support all the the software necessary be a real NAS to start with.

Ugreen need to prove himself for years with software and hardware support before you say TRUST a company with all your important data... if not all it.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Nascompares made a video right away warning everyone about the problems and promises from Ugreen to fix it.

Is a lot to do not trust in a ABSURD NEW company when it comes to NAS..... is all your important data in a charger and cables company.
They don't even start to develop a community yet to support all the the software necessary be a real NAS to start with.

Ugreen need to prove himself for years with software and hardware support before you say TRUST a company with all your important data... if not all it.

I have a much more practical outlook on this. What's a NAS box other than a mini-server? If you truly have trust issues, buying an entry-level server tower from Dell or Lenovo complete with ECC memory might be a wiser option. This is what I will do when I get around retiring my current "server", a 14 year old Core 2 Quad box that's been refurbished a couple of years ago. Nevertheless, I don't think you'd have to worry about this NAS's reliability very much. It's clearly built with high-quality components sourced from reputable brands.

The software, perhaps. But you can always (and actually, or perhaps should) install your own.

hat's a NAS box other than a mini-server? If you truly have trust issues, buying an entry-level se
I have a much more practical outlook on this. What's a NAS box other than a mini-server? If you truly have trust issues, buying an entry-level server tower from Dell or Lenovo complete with ECC memory might be a wiser option. This is what I will do when I get around retiring my current "server", a 14 year old Core 2 Quad box that's been refurbished a couple of years ago. Nevertheless, I don't think you'd have to worry about this NAS's reliability very much. It's clearly built with high-quality components sourced from reputable brands.

The software, perhaps. But you can always (and actually, or perhaps should) install your own.
I own an Qnap TVS-h1288x with 96gb ecc ram, other Unraid with 64gb ecc ram, 2 dell 4U servers on my rack.... but sure this is a reputable company? this coming from chargers and cables?

Software? it can't any of third party NAS softwares as warned by nascompares "the only channel that acutely review NAS as main and only subject. Why people is trying so hard to mask the truth?
Wait reviews of it running it and them make a decision. This startup funding just make people buy something with no guarantee will stick up as any other Nas solutions.

Even QNAP, SYNOLOGY, ASSUSTOR AND WESTERN DIGITAL have to prove themselves. Why they don't need to show hard work and costumer service?

After they prove themselves with Years and a lot of positive reviews with ALL software needed to be call a NAS then.... only then.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Ugreen isn't a new company and as mentioned, they've already had products out on the chinese market for well over a year now.
I don't know what's absurd about a company going into a new market, it happens all the time.
Considering it runs Linux and standard file systems, nothing much would go wrong with the data, as the OS is as mentioned in the review, on a separate drive, unlike QNAP and Synology for example, that installs the OS on your data drives.

Does QNAP, Synology or Asustor have a developer community? FYI, I used to work for QNAP and they pretty much spat their most loyal forum members and customers in the face when they pointed out security issues. Both QNAP and Synology have been hit with multiple ransomwares, as they run old Linux kernels that they patch, patch and patch, because their patchwork of software is really hard to move to a new kernel.
WD, proven themselves? They got hacked to bits and then they refused to fix the security hole and gave people at 20% discount voucher on a new WD product...

Seriously, you're clearly not familiar with the NAS market, so please, take it down a notch.
Oh, one last thing, a NAS isn't a backup, so back up your data and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

darth_admin

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the "ZFS will kill your data if you don't have ECC" meme can be attributed mostly to a single toxic forum admin on (IIRC) the TrueNas site. This guy has been browbeating people, tirelessly, with innumerate analysis for decades. Anyway, the TL:DR for anyone who's interested is that ECC is always good to have, but ZFS is no more susceptible to data rot than any other file system if you don't have it. ZFS is probably more resilient against memory errors, in fact.

On a home server, ECC is an overblown concern no matter how you slice it, IMO. In thirty years of running non-ECC computers, I've never suffered significant data loss due to memory corruption. Come to think of it, I've never suffered significant data loss due to a failed hard drive, either. You should have backups of anything that's important, anyway. Ideally, ECC would be standard. It's a minor scandal that ECC isn't standard. But anyone who's looking for an affordable home server solution shouldn't feel like he needs to grab an ECC platform. There's way too much gatekeeping and discouragement on tech internet generally, but especially in e.g. the Linux and DIY server spaces.
All you've said is true. The real problem is the price. B550 motherboard with cpu and ram is half the money you need to spend on ugreen's product. Now you can throw in case and psu of you liking. I found that kind of flexibility very appealing. But maybe it's just a way IT people think. To be honest I was very impessed at first with dxp4800, but initial denial of warranty if you install your own OS put me right off. Plus lack of ECC of course. Otherwise very neat product priced incorrectly and released with lacking sofware compared to basicaly everyone else on the market.

Just like you said… all brands have problems.
Nothing wrong on get to a new market… just saying… they are REALLY NEW on this market.
NAS (network attached storage) can be used as on point and local of backup.

working with network and servers for 23 years… but sure the Reviewer of a brand new hardware and software on subject tell me to take down a notch… very professional.

I love this website. Never saw a reviewer behave this way on the comments because their on readers and subscribers point the truth.

you can disagree… you don’t need to push your opinions on others.

Peace ✌️

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
All you've said is true. The real problem is the price. B550 motherboard with cpu and ram is half the money you need to spend on ugreen's product. Now you can throw in case and psu of you liking. I found that kind of flexibility very appealing. But maybe it's just a way IT people think. To be honest I was very impessed at first with dxp4800, but initial denial of warranty if you install your own OS put me right off. Plus lack of ECC of course. Otherwise very neat product priced incorrectly and released with lacking sofware compared to basicaly everyone else on the market.
The hardware is still covered by warranty if you install your own OS, Ugreen has posted as much on their crowdfunding campaign.
Considering very few consumer NAS products have CPUs that support ECC, how are the device makers supposed to be able to add it? This applies across the board, all brands.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Didn't see this coming, Ugreen with a NAS proposition. What would get me interested is if they make a single bay NAS like QNAP TS-133. This is what I understand targets people with "simple" needs. I saw someone here saying their current offer covers basic needs...I mean a 4-bay NAS @$700 covering entry level yeah no, not in my book. I do hope they make it and gradually scale down to two-bay and single bay NAS.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just like you said… all brands have problems.
Nothing wrong on get to a new market… just saying… they are REALLY NEW on this market.
NAS (network attached storage) can be used as on point and local of backup.

working with network and servers for 23 years… but sure the Reviewer of a brand new hardware and software on subject tell me to take down a notch… very professional.

I love this website. Never saw a reviewer behave this way on the comments because their on readers and subscribers point the truth.

you can disagree… you don’t need to push your opinions on others.

Peace ✌️
Yeah? You don't know me, nor my background. I started reviewing hardware way back in Y2K and have been working with hardware since the mid 90's. I've actually worked for or with several companies out in Taiwan that makes these devices, or had them make things for my clients.

Did I tell you to go and buy it? No. You must also have seen my criticism in the review, if you actually read it. But calling out Ugreen because they moved into a new market is just plain odd. On top of that, you clearly can't handle me criticising the already established players, that have time and time again, proven that they're sloppy on the software side and that knowingly run unsecure software on their products, that customers have reported issues with. But no, let's trash the new guys before they've even gotten to prove themselves.

I didn't push any opinions, I'm stating facts from having worked in the industry for most of my working life.
You might be the most amazing Linux wizard and server guy out there, but you don't know the tech industry.

Didn't see this coming, Ugreen with a NAS proposition. What would get me interested is if they make a single bay NAS like QNAP TS-133. This is what I understand targets people with "simple" needs. I saw someone here saying their current offer covers basic needs...I mean a 4-bay NAS @$700 covering entry level yeah no, not in my book. I do hope they make it and gradually scale down to two-bay and single bay NAS.
Not something I expected either, but as pointed out, they already have six different and simpler models they've been selling in china for over a year. The most basic model is still two bays, but they have Arm SoC based models for the chinese market, which would be a lot cheaper than their basic two bay Intel model. One drive is imho not good enough for a NAS though, at least not if you want to keep your data somewhat safe. I had a basic two drive model that I ran RAID-1 on, which was fortunate, as one of the drives failed after a few years, but I didn't lose any data.

Yeah? You don't know me, nor my background. I started reviewing hardware way back in Y2K and have been working with hardware since the mid 90's. I've actually worked for or with several companies out in Taiwan that makes these devices, or had them make things for my clients.

Did I tell you to go and buy it? No. You must also have seen my criticism in the review, if you actually read it. But calling out Ugreen because they moved into a new market is just plain odd. On top of that, you clearly can't handle me criticising the already established players, that have time and time again, proven that they're sloppy on the software side and that knowingly run unsecure software on their products, that customers have reported issues with. But no, let's trash the new guys before they've even gotten to prove themselves.

I didn't push any opinions, I'm stating facts from having worked in the industry for most of my working life.
You might be the most amazing Linux wizard and server guy out there, but you don't know the tech industry.

Not something I expected either, but as pointed out, they already have six different and simpler models they've been selling in china for over a year. The most basic model is still two bays, but they have Arm SoC based models for the chinese market, which would be a lot cheaper than their basic two bay Intel model. One drive is imho not good enough for a NAS though, at least not if you want to keep your data somewhat safe. I had a basic two drive model that I ran RAID-1 on, which was fortunate, as one of the drives failed after a few years, but I didn't lose any data.
No… I did not ask you for your background kid

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

OK... i will be friendly with you.

I actually went through your review and I like it alot.... very interesting and detailed, i considered very professional indeed. But you not taking the Ugreen critics very well.

My first pc was an XT... not even 286, 386 or 486.

I work with clients like Exercito Brasileiro (Brazilian Army), Ministerio da Agricultura (Agriculture Ministery), Correios ( USPS like in Brazil}, former GVT Telecom (now Claro telecom).... and hundreds of other small companies in Brazil and US.
I was there when the first NTFS operational system was installed on a government institution in Brazil..... i was the guy doing it.
I graduate a system analyzer in Brazil still... probably before or when you did your stuff in mid 90's
Networking for me started as subnet with telnet (before internet) using external parallel modem 3600 bps (3.6k) downloading books of it to translate as a kid.
My first expensive toy was a scsi cd writer to record my songs with the brand new mp3 compact in dos 6.22 from wav with a 486
But honestly why you so obsessed with this old guy?

I am a backer on the 12gen I5 8bay from Ugreen after they email me and refund my deposit $5 to guarantee the unit with a lower price. (then... no need to tell me to buy one... i already did)

but as it stands right now unfortunately.
Casa Os - do not work
Promox - do not work
Unraid - install but reset by itself

I don't care about ecc support... since because the cpus that ugreen chose to work with do not support it because the platform

I really like the iperf performance and the real life transfer speed.

I am not the competition like you make it sound's like lol
I wish that Ugreen be successful... or i will have a very big cloud drive with Iphone app.

I heard that UGOS support dock container now... that is much better.

So be nice and stop the Yeah? Attitude.

Peace

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
OK... i will be friendly with you.

I actually went through your review and I like it alot.... very interesting and detailed, i considered very professional indeed. But you not taking the Ugreen the critics very well.

My first pc was an XT... not even 286, 386 or 486.

I work with clients like Exercito Brasileiro (Brazilian Army), Ministerio da Agricultura (Agriculture Ministery), Correios ( USPS like in Brazil}, former GVT Telecom (now Claro telecom).... and hundreds of other small companies in Brazil and US.
I was there when the first NTFS operational system was installed on a government institution in Brazil..... i was the guy doing it.
I graduate a system analyzer in Brazil still... probably before or when you did your stuff in mid 90's
Networking for me started as subnet with telnet (before internet) using external parallel modem 3600 bps (3.6k) downloading books of it to translate as a kid.
My first expensive toy was a scsi cd writer to record my songs with the brand new mp3 compact in dos 6.22 from wav with a 486
But honestly why you so obsessed with this old guy?

I am a backer on the 12gen I5 8bay from Ugreen after they email me and refund my deposit $5 to guarantee the unit with a lower price. (then... no need to tell me to buy one... i already did)

but as it stands right now unfortunately.
Casa Os - do not work
Promox - do not work
Unraid - install but reset by itself

I don't care about ecc support... since because the cpus that ugreen chose to work with do not support it because the platform

I really like the iperf performance and the real life transfer speed.

I am not the competition like you make it sound's like lol
I wish that Ugreen be successful... or i will have a very big cloud drive with Iphone app.

I heard that UGOS support dock container now... that is much better.

So be nice and stop the Yeah? Attitude.

Peace
I never said you were the competition, I simply stated that the competition, i.e. the already established brands that you claim have proven themselves, are not without major issues and they way they've chosen to handle those, have been terrible in many cases.

There's a lot of things you wouldn't know if you haven't lived in Taiwan and worked in the industry, as so much never leave that island.

As for Ugreen, yes, there are plenty of issues and as I mentioned in the comments, I didn't test the cloud service, as I don't fancy setting up an account on their servers.
There are some potential security issues overall, then the ones with them being from where they are.

I wrote about Docker support in the review and it was added a couple of weeks ago, they did a nice job on making it simple to use, at least compared to other platforms I've tried.

Competition is needed in what has become a very stagnant market, so it's nice to see a new player that at least seems to take things seriously.

My issues was mostly with how you worded your initial critique here, not with you as a person.

Also, I have an ex QNAP colleague that's from Brazil, although he was a developer there and he can tell you the really scary stories...

And to be clear, TPU pays me, not Ugreen. I don't get any kind of kickback or anything of the kind. I do on the other hand tend to get involved in the comments on things I write, which has mostly been news here so far.

I never said you were the competition, I simply stated that the competition, i.e. the already established brands that you claim have proven themselves, are not without major issues and they way they've chosen to handle those, have been terrible in many cases.

There's a lot of things you wouldn't know if you haven't lived in Taiwan and worked in the industry, as so much never leave that island.

As for Ugreen, yes, there are plenty of issues and as I mentioned in the comments, I didn't test the cloud service, as I don't fancy setting up an account on their servers.
There are some potential security issues overall, then the ones with them being from where they are.

I wrote about Docker support in the review and it was added a couple of weeks ago, they did a nice job on making it simple to use, at least compared to other platforms I've tried.

Competition is needed in what has become a very stagnant market, so it's nice to see a new player that at least seems to take things seriously.

My issues was mostly with how you worded your initial critique here, not with you as a person.

Also, I have an ex QNAP colleague that's from Brazil, although he was a developer there and he can tell you the really scary stories...

And to be clear, TPU pays me, not Ugreen. I don't get any kind of kickback or anything of the kind. I do on the other hand tend to get involved in the comments on things I write, which has mostly been news here so far.
Nice that you come back as a reviewer my friend. ✌️

I do agree a new guy on the block was needed.

also I agree that Qnap several ransom was absurd…. I got hacked because I had it linked to myqnapclod… absurd… I turned off my $5000+ nas for 7 months because it.

on Ugreen side of things… the only thing that is messing up is the bios that make it not fully compatible with third party for now, but they stated that a lot of things is for security reasons.

the warranty statement also fixed a lot for future buyers and backers.

But they do need to provide a better compatibility for real world market. Since myself included want that.
The same way that I know they are not obligated to do so.

But I have a nice rack waiting for it… and my main goal is use third party software. Since Ugos pro is not the reason that I back the 8bay unit. But the cost benefit of the price to use a Unraid under $1000 that can perform better than my qnap 5000+ plus my 3060 in there will be great! If that happened 2 years ago I could save 4k easy.

Ugreen can gain reputation fast if they fully support 3rd party os’s.
Just the fact they offer a product with specs superior of anyone else at half of the price since I do believe qnap, synologi and others overprice any Nas at those specs.

On their os ugos pro…. I need to use it myself before I judge it…. But I am not creating any hope on it since on my opinion it takes time.
The other companies still suffering to implement zfs right.

let hope for the best

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I think it’s worth pointing out that TerraMaster went the Kickstarter route with the TerraMaster D8 Hybrid DAS unit (4x SATA and 4x NVMe) which is ~$200 USD Kickstarter and ~$300 retail.

Companies have their reasons for doing such things but it also might be a short lived trend.

A known company using Kickstarter to enter a new market segment (for them) isn’t too shocking IMO. The introductory Kickstarter pricing in the US and Germany is noteworthy for those looking for a turnkey or quasi turnkey NAS solution.

Those that prefer a cheaper DIY solution aren’t likely to be won over by any such solution anyway. Decommissioned Enterprise hardware can be a powerful cost effective solution too but not everyone has a network rack, not everyone wants to pay the power bill for such hardware and not everyone wants to deal with the noise,…..or heat.

IMO, UGreen’s UG OS shortcoming’s are less of an issue especially if you have the option of installing a 3rd part OS. The real question is how well they support their hardware.

For example, my Synology DS1815+ was manufactured in early 2017. I had an older (in warranty) model but when the Intel Atom 2000 series Errata popped up I viewed it as a ticking timeb0mb. So I called up Synology support, asked for hardware that was fixed and they cross shipped me a newly manufactured fixed model. The squeaky wheel gets the oil because if you didn’t ask Synology their solution was to extend your warranty (a little) and whistle past the graveyard. That was Intel’s mistake overall but I’m glad Synology sorted it for me. Not an everyday issue though.

Last edited:

darth_admin

The hardware is still covered by warranty if you install your own OS, Ugreen has posted as much on their crowdfunding campaign.
Considering very few consumer NAS products have CPUs that support ECC, how are the device makers supposed to be able to add it? This applies across the board, all brands.
That wasn't the case before backlash it created; initially warranty was voided if different os has been installed. As for the cpus there are plenty supporting ECC but yeah very few ideal candidates due to power consumption mostly.

Fietser

Well, you have an Arm based NAS, very different user base. You can't expand your RAM, you don't have support for NVMe drives, you're "limited" to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet and so forth.
Yes, you have a much more power efficient device, no doubts about it and I'm guessing QNAP has enough native software for you not needing to run stuff in Docker to get the software features you want? Yes, your NAS supports Docker, but I doubt it does hardware video transcoding, nor do you appear to have an HDMI out for direct video playback.
My point being, different people have different needs and if you're happy with the features you bought, then that's great, but other people have more demanding needs.
Is the DXP4800 Plus perfect? Far from it, but at least for the Kickstarter pricing, it's going to be attractive to a lot of people.
I've looked hard at the features you mention and that are on this NAS. I can watch video on my mediaplayer using DLNA on my TV. I have a docker with a Logitech Media Server playing all of my audio files through my DAC. And normally I'm using 30% of memory, so I could do more. BUT, it has my files on it, and I don't take any risks exposing them.
Still the thing I mentioned about power consumption is there. It uses more power than similar devices from Synology or Qnap. But since this review doesn't compare it with any other nasses, we just don't know, do we. For the moment, I can't recommend this nas to anyone.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I’ve got a QNAP TS-653D NAS, which, has a Celeron J4125 SoC and 6 SATA bays. It’s been upgraded to 10GbE + 2x NVMe SSDs via add-in card. It’s a decent NAS that does everything I ask of it but I could build something with more processing power. In fact I have an extra Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi motherboard, RAM, SSD, case, HDD backplanes, five or so 16TB WD Red CMR HDD's, a Windows Server 2022 license and more. I would need a processor though.

Still, I backed the UGreen Kickstarter and opted for the 8 bay DXP8800 Plus Model.

Last edited:
System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Thank you, you are right. I went to their Kickstarter page and there really is a 2-bay model starting at @$239 (all spots are booked), it is now $259. First round NAS prices are all booked actually, there is a second round now apparently.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Sinology and other NAS manufacturers have an online virtual demo of their OS so users can get a feel for the environment. UGreen might want to try and put something similar out there for perspective users to play with.