1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

uh oh... problem with my ip or some network?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by panchoman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    well i've been tryin to do some work on my rig, specifically setting up an uber tf2 server and all, problem though: i've got apache and all working, but it only works for me... i do: http://my.real.ip/index.php and it loads the page, and also works with localhost, and 127.0.0.1.... im running an apache 2.2 server with mysql 5, php 5, and the latest thing of perl .

now my friends cannot connect to it (router with port forwarding or no router). so i decided to do a traceroute from network-tools.com.. and look at my results:

[​IMG]

whats wrong and how can i fix it?

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    trace to tpu shows the same request timeouts...

[​IMG]

3. JoshBrunelle

Thanks Received:
    Who is your ISP?

4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    cablevision

5. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Your real IP most likely is your internal IP, as an external IP won't work. Your buddy needs to use your external IP.

Sidenote: How is Apache related to TF2?

6. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    wait what do you mean for the internal/external ips? can you elaborate please?

sidenote: apache, php, perl, and mysql are required for hlstats... the apache will let people view the hlstats and stuff on a webpage.

7. JoshBrunelle

Thanks Received:
    I think dan means your WAN IP, which you can find if you go to whatismyip.com and the like. Otherwise it is found in your router. Once your router sees those packets from a certain port, port forwarding will push them to your internal, or LAN IP. I suspect that you already know your WAN, as you have tried straight through your modem as well.

Those timeouts seem to be your ISP's relays crapping out on you. Not sure what you could do.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    something i think is helpfull, get an account at dyndns.com or something like that, <3 i love my router its got a thingy to automaticly update dyndns accounts [if you dont understand, you will after you learn about IP adresses, and how they change etc]

9. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Timeouts on tracert do not point to a problem.
    There are a few reason that they could be occuring.
    1) The routers are set to not respond to ICMP Echo requests (pings).
    2) You get to the router okay, but there is a problem in the return route.
    3) It simply took to long for the packet to get back (based on it's timeout value).

As you can see in tracert, the routers are forwarding the packets, otherwise you would not get the routers that are in the "chain" after them.

Something is amiss in your configuration.
    Do you have the required ports open ?

10. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    well when my friends try to connect to my server (which works for me when using my real ip), they get a request timed out page you know? and the above traces were taken with my computer on a direct connection to the modem, but with my router, i have port 80 and all of the other ports (3306, etc.) pointing to my computer, which is static to the router, and i get the same thing..

my question is, why are there connection timeouts in certain places on the route, what does this mean, and why cant my friends connect to my rig?

11. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I explained in my previous post why there could be timeouts in the route.
    That is not the issue. The routers in-route could not care less about the packets going through them.
    Are you blocking incoming requests on your router?
    It is something at your end that is refusing the connection.

12. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    what could be blocking it?

http://68.x.x.x/index.php works for me, so does http://192.168.1.2/index.php, http://localhost/index.php, and http://127.0.0.1/index.php.

i gave my 2 friends the http://68.x.x.x/index.php. neither of them could connect.

i have no firewall.. my router doesn't affect anything, since i've tried without and with it with no effect besides my dad getting pissed at me for taking down the router.

i asked my friend to do a trace , and he gave me this:

[​IMG]

and said he could not connect to my rig because the request timed out (he uses same isp and lives 5 mins away)