1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Universal Music Group to Offer DRM-Free Music

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Aug 13, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    EMI tested the idea of DRM (Digital Rights Management software) free music by offering their DRM-free music to Apple's iTunes Plus store and Microsoft's Zune store a few months ago. Finally, other music groups are following suit. Industry giant Universal Music Group is planning to offer an unknown amount of their vast library to Real's Rhapsody, Wal-Mart, Amazon, and even Google. However, they are not offering any DRM-free music to Apple's iTunes Plus store at this point. We will start seeing these restriction-free tracks in January 2008, if all goes well. In January, Universal will closely monitor sales, increases in piracy, and other factors before "going all in".

[​IMG]

Source: EnGadget

2. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say this will serve to decrease piracy, at least a little. I'm sure there is a substantial group of people, sick of DRM, pushed to piracy. The question is, now that they've tasted free music, will they come back?

3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    well most piracy isnt about DRM or what have you. Its about over charging for music and software, etc. At least thats their general ethos.