• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570 WiFi firmware 1.50
Cooling Noctua NHD15
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Dominator LPX 4133 (3733-16-15-15-15 @1.40v)
Video Card(s) ASUS Tuf 3060Ti
Storage C: Intel SSD-900 280GB, D: Samsung EVO-960-1TB
Display(s) 3x monoprice 4k 27" IPS
Case Fractal Design R-6 White
Audio Device(s) HDMI to marantz NR1606
Power Supply Corsait TX-750M
Mouse Logi MX Master
Keyboard Logi K800 + ubikey 2
Software Windows 10
OK so Just as a bit of a sanity check. Since I have optical PC to receiver (5.1 DTS and Dolby on it) and Realtek HD audio on windoiws 10, I am actually waiting for three things to happen
1) MS to fix Windows 10 optical out bug
2) Realtek to release a newer driver
3) a tested patch or way to enable DD live or DTS interactive ( on the new realtek driver)

Once these are done, then I can use plex / VLC to play my variety of multichannel movies

did I capture that correctly?

nivrij

Has anyone with Windows 10 build 10240 gotten DTS audio to work already? I was so excited to upgrade to Windows 10 and has been spending the last 12 hours reinstalling and restoring my stuff only to find this DTS conundrum. I'm thinking of going back to Windows 8.1 now!

GeneralOctopusNL

Well the best practice for everything is backing up your data first. When I need to revert back to windows 8.1, I'll just install an boot usb pick the backup image, and everything will be restored with a single mouse click!

You can also open the backup images if you don't want to restore the whole system at once.

We need to wait for Microsoft to fix their stuff, but oohh mannn what do I miss Dolby Digital

Last edited:

nivrij

Well the best practice for everything is backing up your data first. When I need to revert back to windows 8.1, I'll just install an boot usb pick the backup image, and everything will be restored with a single mouse click!

You can also open the backup images if you don't want to restore the whole system at once.

We need to wait for Microsoft to fix their stuff, but oohh mannn what do I miss Dolby Digital

Good thing I created a full disk image of my windows 8.1 installation. Now I've restored it like nothing happened. Until Microsoft fixes this audio issue I'm not going back to Windows 10. I can't live without surround sound when gaming and this is my gaming PC.

GeneralOctopusNL

Good thing I created a full disk image of my windows 8.1 installation. Now I've restored it like nothing happened. Until Microsoft fixes this audio issue I'm not going back to Windows 10. I can't live without surround sound when gaming and this is my gaming PC.

That is very very very recognizable, but I'm not really gaming right now. Need to code some stuff first. Hoping that Microsoft has fixed the bug when I finish coding. :D:D

If you see this thread, you'll read that now and then a Microsoft employee responds that they are working on the fix. So there is hope :):)

EDIT: If you take a look at this the thread above, and open some of the screenshots. You'll see the Dolby tab.

I don't have a tab that looks like that one. Mine just shows Dolby Home Theather, that activates the "real" 5.1 experience trough 2.1. Does the tab look different because we use unlocked drivers? They seem to be able to select DD Live without the unlocked drivers...

Last edited:
OK so Just as a bit of a sanity check. Since I have optical PC to receiver (5.1 DTS and Dolby on it) and Realtek HD audio on windoiws 10, I am actually waiting for three things to happen
1) MS to fix Windows 10 optical out bug
2) Realtek to release a newer driver
3) a tested patch or way to enable DD live or DTS interactive ( on the new realtek driver)

Once these are done, then I can use plex / VLC to play my variety of multichannel movies

did I capture that correctly?

If we're lucky, hopefully just the first one.

GeneralOctopusNL

The bug will be fixed! It's in test phase right now, confirmed by a microsoft employee that is working on the bug fix.

Yup, at least he's still updating us. Sadly, they had 1 part of an audio update released... yesterday apparently? But the surround sound fix we're looking for is still being worked on.

DazzaWill

The latest Windows 10 update has Dolby Digital optical pass through fixed and working in the Native Apps including netflix and media player. DTS still not working in Native app and media player, however it works in media portal for me using lav filters (Which it always has). I would expect that now possibly modded drivers will work in Windows 10 using A1 method although I havent tried it because it stuffs up Netflix due to the Reg entry that is required. BTW does anyone know how to get around that with Netflix? I cant use the other method cause it stuffs up my speaker config, ie changes rear to sides and I dont get full surround as a result using DD live. I have AC 1150 codec.

Redeement

So, I just recently found out that I'm not getting 5.1 or even 7.1 surround for that matter from Astro a40's with mixamp, the issue I'm having is that it's hooked up via optical out and usb to my mixamp, and as you can see in the screenshot, I have the DDL 5.1 surround enabled on my sound manager. I'm using windows 10 btw, ALC1150 and Asus hero vii z97 motherboard if that helps. I'm trying to avoid buying a sound card just for the mixamp, so that's why I'm going down this unlocked driver route, but for whatever reason it's not working, I've tried doing a lot of research on my own about this and maybe one of you who read this thread/post can help me. I'd really appreciate it, I just made this account on this site just for this purpose..I can't justify spending money on a optical out PCIE sound card, when this motherboard has it, and I'm able to unlock the drivers, I just need to get passed this dilemma. Screenshot: https://gyazo.com/3662fd55f293dafe458d5fa2d76cf1ce

Edit: the real problem is that when I make the digital output my default device, nothing comes through the headset. My mixamp is connected via optical out & USB (for power)

SpiderOne

So, I just recently found out that I'm not getting 5.1 or even 7.1 surround for that matter from Astro a40's with mixamp, the issue I'm having is that it's hooked up via optical out and usb to my mixamp, and as you can see in the screenshot, I have the DDL 5.1 surround enabled on my sound manager. I'm using windows 10 btw, ALC1150 and Asus hero vii z97 motherboard if that helps. I'm trying to avoid buying a sound card just for the mixamp, so that's why I'm going down this unlocked driver route, but for whatever reason it's not working, I've tried doing a lot of research on my own about this and maybe one of you who read this thread/post can help me. I'd really appreciate it, I just made this account on this site just for this purpose..I can't justify spending money on a optical out PCIE sound card, when this motherboard has it, and I'm able to unlock the drivers, I just need to get passed this dilemma. Screenshot: https://gyazo.com/3662fd55f293dafe458d5fa2d76cf1ce

Edit: the real problem is that when I make the digital output my default device, nothing comes through the headset. My mixamp is connected via optical out & USB (for power)
It's a bug with Windows 10, we're all waiting on the fix from Microsoft.

DazzaWill

As I said Spider, the latest cumulative windows 10 update fixes it. The only issue now is DTS is still not working for me

Redeement

As I said Spider, the latest cumulative windows 10 update fixes it. The only issue now is DTS is still not working for me
The Astro mixamp uses DDL and I still don't get any sound out of my headphones when I make it my default device..any ideas?

arsalanpro

The latest Windows 10 update has Dolby Digital optical pass through fixed and working in the Native Apps including netflix and media player. DTS still not working in Native app and media player, however it works in media portal for me using lav filters (Which it always has). I would expect that now possibly modded drivers will work in Windows 10 using A1 method although I havent tried it because it stuffs up Netflix due to the Reg entry that is required. BTW does anyone know how to get around that with Netflix? I cant use the other method cause it stuffs up my speaker config, ie changes rear to sides and I dont get full surround as a result using DD live. I have AC 1150 codec.
I also use 1150 codec and it says can''t play test tone on both DD Live and DTS Interactive. I have tried 2.73 and 2.75, both of them don't work for me on Win 10. Please help.

Biffen

Same for me still not working after latest update which driver are you using DazzaWill?

darkspireULTIMA

Do people even read this forum?!?!.. as of now windows 10 doesnt support ddl and dts.. its an issue thats gonna be fixed soon.. theres like one guy working on it. If your trying this custom driver tweak on windows 10 we are all going to come to the same conclusion.. IT DOESNT WORK YET

DazzaWill

I'm using the 6.0.1.7571 driver dated 28th of July. As I said DD through optical is working now, since the Windows update KB3081436 . I also said I haven't tried the DD LIVE mod yet, I just figured it might work now. DTS over optical is still broken. I also noticed that DD and DTS is not working over Analog for me,however, all games etc. work perfectly in 5.1. More evidence of there failure to implement DD and DTS properly. I love Windows 10 but this is the only thing holding it back for me.

Redeement

I'm fully updated on my windows 10 machine and DDL is selected, but still nothing comes out of digital output when i make it my default device..I hope I'm not the only one it doesn't work for..again this is with astro a40 mixamp and headset, connected through optical and usb for power.

predprey

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 - 32/64 bit - R2.79 A1/M1:
Code:
http://rghost.net/6RfCvqBY9
Instructions inside README.txt
Thanks to 2bad for original modified drivers. Made using R2.79 original files.

For Windows 10 DTS/DDL bug, wait for official patch for by Microsoft.

Last edited:
Hey, pred. They probably aren't going to work yet fully on W10 since we're waiting for MS to fix a bug, at least with optical.

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 - 32/64 bit - R2.79 A1/M1:
Code:
http://rghost.net/6RfCvqBY9
Instructions inside README.txt
Thanks to 2bad for original modified drivers. Made using R2.79 original files.

Not tested yet as I'm not on Windows 10. Please reply if it works. Will remove this line after working confirmation.
Dosen't work on Windows 10, show the new audio options but can't listen when use DD.

Assassin_Moder

@sebin If your MB have compatible Realtek chipset.

From HERE we can read thath Windows 10 have already built in Dolby Digital Plus, Maybe someone can try to use it instead of Dolby Digital?