• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unreadable File Location == Bad Sector? If so, anyone had luck with repairing apps?

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Tt Water2.0 PRO (They use the same bracket as 3.0)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die (@3333 ATM)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Display(s) Samsung 46" UN46D6050 1080P HDTV
Case Home-made tech bench.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (I use HDMI though *cry*)
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Mouse Razer Copperhead (circa 2005)
Keyboard Tt Challenger Pro (AVOID! Keys wear super fast)
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Got a drive that works still, but some files come back not being able to be copied. ChkDsk always wants to run at boot, and I let it the first time. It had a couple dozen "unreadable file location" errors, and it said it was trying to fix, but wasn't saying which ones it was or if it worked. Only thing I noticed was when browsing the drive, it was much quicker, where as before it would lag badly when you opened a folder and it had to populate the details.

So if it IS bad sectors, I remember there were programs that would at least try to fix them. I assume it would sort of program the drive to not write to those sectors, unless software really could fix them, which either is OK by me :)

Otherwise if not, anyone know what the fix for the unreadable locations is?

The preference is to not format, but if that is the only way, I guess I'd have to take it :p Reason being, some of the data on it would be nice to backup first. So even if there is a quick-fix to help get them readable again, that'd work! After that I'd be formatting it anyways to install an OS. The drive will be in a PC who's function will basically be a router/net server. So it won't be doing anything but sitting idle, letting me and the other computers in the house, connect to it so we can get online. Doubt I'll be running any software on it, so it's disk utilization will be virtually nonexistant!

While I've got you, if anyone does have a cheap 2.5" laptop HDD or even a thin 3.5" desktop SATA drive that is large enough to put Win7 on, hit me up! Otherwise I can just buy an IDE-SATA converter off eBay for under $3 shipped lol Don't care if it is slow since the HDD I'd use would also be slow :p