1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unreal Engine 4 – Infiltrator – GDC 2013 Tech Demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by Recus, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:

• New material layering system, which provides unprecedented detail on characters and objects
    • Dynamically lit particles, which can emit and receive light
    • High-quality temporal anti-aliasing, eliminating jagged edges and temporal aliasing
    • Thousands of dynamic lights with tiled deferred shading
    • Adaptive detail levels with artist-programmable tessellation and displacement
    • Millions of particles colliding with the environment using GPU simulation
    • Realistic destructibles, such as walls and floors
    • Physically based materials, lighting and shading
    • Full-scene High Dynamic Range reflections with support for varying glossiness
    • Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) profiles for realistic lighting distributions

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/unreal-engine-4-infiltrator-gdc-2013-tech-demo/

Glory Glory Man United Unreal Engine.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I like it alot...

Now this engine seems more realistic, especially with color scheme.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    The engine has been always great, the problem is that games usually don't utilize half of the engine goodies or simply no one bothers to do it properly. So in the end its up to the devs and how skilled they are. And how good is their imagination...

4. LeviathanPT

LeviathanPT

Thanks Received:
    Pretty epic, i wish they turned this into a benchmark tool would be pretty sweet.

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I can't get too excited about this despite the better graphics until I see signs of them doing something about optimizing their engine better. Later gens of the Unreal Engine have always been plagued by texture flickering and hitching. It's not very good at streaming textures smoothly. Even with it's lower level textures, Bioshock Infinite has noticeable hitching.

Just this tech demo video shows noticeable hitching in places at 720p, even when it's buffered well ahead of the current play position, and that's not a good sign.

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see the unreal engine still has some tricks up its sleeves

7. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    a compressed flv/mp4 is nowhere near = to a game engine rendering. Plus its a demo. I wouldn't put too much stock in any hitching.

I'd be more worried about how cut down any final games using the engine are. That's where we've seen the biggest issues.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually the compression for YouTube should have nothing to do with the visible hitching, and if anything, these early demos are usually less compressed in original content than the actual game would be, to make it look as pristine as possible.

Their engine since the game Unreal Tournament 3 has been pretty poorly optimized.

9. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    considering it starts out as a huge demo (multiple TB's of textures) rendered on gpu's not designed for its load then it's taken from that huge rendering and compressed down to practically nothing so it will play on youtube...yeah it does have something to do with it. If its an FLV especially compression itself can input lags that weren't in the original. Also flv compression alone isn't enough, Our source files for our videos at my company are northwards of 40GB and that spits out a 100MB .flv this one is much smaller and being a demo likely started out much larger. A second round of compression likely took place.

This is a teaser rather than a real demo. Demos take place at shows where they can setup machines to render it on huge screens so everyone can see the pretties. The fact that it's on youtube shows it's just a raw idea of what the engine can do.

again, not really worried about a pre-recorded flv or mp4 of a game demo's hitching. Far more worried about how stripped down the final engine will be and what if any gains it will show in its final released form compared to current engines.

IMO we really haven't had anything earth shattering in a long time now (since Metro 2033). Most seem to be slightly better shading/texture improvements over the last engine.