• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Updating Intel X-25M 80GB G2 using USB key

Ok, here is the deal. Today i'm getting an Intel X-25M 80GB G2 for my netbook. However, i'm wondering if it's possible to update it's firmware using USB key. Netbooks don't have any optical drives and on Intel webpage, firmware comes in ISO format so you have to burn it to CD first and boot a system with it. Now i could just take out the drive, install it in my main system and update it there, but my netbook (Aspire One AOA150) is from the old design where you have to break down entire netbook just to get to the HDD. And i have no intention to do that for every firmware update.

So, is there any way to do it using just USB key? I haven't tried it as i'm still waiting for the SSD, but i usually use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net to easily boot ISO images. But so far all of them were some form of linux distributions so i have no clue how Intel SSD updater will react to it...

If there is a tool, i'd prefer it over hand creating a bootable drive (i'm lazy) and it should not involve crappy HP USB Bootable USB creator tool because it's crappy, outdated and i hate it.

SummerDays

I just wanted to make sure you knew that Intel was discontinuing production of those.