1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading processor, looking for advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Joelz, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Joelz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning to upgrade my processor since many games run rather slowly on my PC, but unfortunately haven't got the slightest idea what makes a processor good or how to see if it fits my motherboard or not and haven't been too succesful at googling it either.
    I was wondering if any folks around here could lend me a hand with this.

Here's my current system:

Motherboard: Micro-Star International CO.,LTD (Model MS-7376)
    Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6850
    Processor AMD Phenom X4 9500 (AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core processor)
    Memory: DDR2 4096 bytes

From what I gather the processor is the bottleneck here so that's why I'm planning to change it (do correct me if I'm wrong here). I'm willing to go up to around 250€ for the new one. I'm not looking to make this the ultimate gaming rig though, just good enough to run things smoothly.
    Though a complete novice at processors, I did read some positive reviews on Intel's i5-2500k and i5 3570K. Overall Intel seems to be viewed as making superior processors in comparison to AMD.

So, are those processors any good and how do I know if they fit the motherboard? Are they bad choices?

EDIT: In the end went for the i5 3570k. Loving it :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

You can start here and compare CPU's in any combination you want. I think your system is fine it may just need more ram or to be over clocked.

Joelz says thanks.
  3. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I disagree it's a Phenom 1st gen chip he has, they were not very good chips and are a lot slower than later revision PII's by a big margin, it would be bottlenecking a 6850 somewhat IMO.

If you go for 2500k/3570k you will also need to upgrade your motherboard and your RAM to DDR3 though 8GB sets are dirt cheap and you can get some realy good sub $100 Z77 boards.

Out of those 2 I would opt for the 3570k as it has slightly higher clock for clock performance vs SB (roughly 5%) but also overclock very well while using less power and being "newer tech"

Joelz and trickson say thanks.
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

Yup, its time for a newplatform. Intel is not the only game out there. The AMD FX-8350 is pretty good also.

Joelz says thanks.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9A2-Platinum.html#/?div=CPUSupport

That seems to be the motherboard's CPU support list. It looks like with an updated BIOS it will take AM3 CPUs.

I don't think a whole new platform is necessary. I'd just drop a Phenom II x4 or x6 in there, maybe go up to 8GB of RAM and it should be a fairly balanced system with the 6850.

Newegg has a Phenom II x4 965 BE for $85 and another 4GB of RAM would be about $45.

Joelz says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I'd be weary about dropping in an AM3 processor in that board, I had one years ago and it had a lot of issues with an AM2 x3 chip, it's also seems like an OEM system he is running (I assume from the board model number he posted) so it may well not support everything the mfr board does and likely will have a custom bios.

I say if you have the money then upgrade, you will be astounded at the performance difference going from such an old CPU and DDR2 setup to going with one of the latest gen CPU's with some 1600 DDR3 :toast:

Joelz says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think the model number is likely just what CPU-z reads, he probably didn't build the system himself, but I doubt it is an OEM machine like a dell/hp that would lock down the BIOS. It is probably a Cyberpower/iBuypower machine, they don't use custom BIOSes beyond inserting their logo in boards that support that option(ASUS).

But yeah, if he's got the money, go the Intel route for sure. But if he is just looking to upgrade the CPU for as little as possible and keep the motherboard, then go with an Phenom II.

Joelz says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Joelz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll go for the Intels then. Getting a better system now will spare me the trouble in the future.

I'll just look for a motherboard compatible with 2500k or 3570k.

Thanks to each of you for helping out with this :)

9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    What PC is it? i mean the brand

10. Joelz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless by PC you refer to the motherboard, I haven't got a clue.

Motherboard is the Micro-Star International CO.,LTD (Model MS-7376).