1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading the Power Supply in a Gateway GT5058...is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SAlexson, Dec 11, 2007.

1. SAlexson New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that many computer manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc...) use (or have used) proprietary PSUs in their systems. I have a Gateway GT5058, and I am looking to put a new PSU in it due to added hard drives, the enabling of the onboard RAID controller, and a new video card (NVidia 8600 GTS).

What I am wondering is if I will have a problem with this. I have an older (1998ish) Dell XPS that I had to get a special adapter to put a new PSU in it (something about the pin out of the power connector being non-standard).

Will this be neccessary for my Gateway GT5058? The PSU I am installing is a Corsair HX520W.

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your Gateway will have no problems with a standard ATX PSU. No special cables or anything to worry about. One hint, check the 20(24) pin mobo conector before you take out old psu, make sure that if the back 4 holes are empty that they STAY EMPTY when you install new PSU.
    In other words if it came with a 20 pin leave it a 20 pin, don't use 24 pin.

:toast:

SAlexson says thanks.
  3. SAlexson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great! Thanks for that last little tip too. I noticed that the last 4 were empty, and there was a seperate 4 pin connector elsewhere on the motherborard. That would have been my next question!

You, Namslas90, are too awesome!

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The new PSU may have the 24 pin ATX connector, but the extra 4 pin section is removable - just tie it back. The other 4 pin connector is seperate from the 24 pin connector and is needed to power the mobo.

:toast:

5. SophiaLuminous New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bump such an old thread but this is exactly my problem now - I have this model and am looking to upgrade my video card. The included PSU states it is 300w and most video cards suitable for gaming require 350w or greater. Does anyone have a suggestion for which VC and PSU I should get? I've been out of touch and not sure what good brands are out there for PSU.
    I had someone else advise that it is ok to stick a VC in with a requirement of 400w with the existing PSU... I'd rather not sacrifice performance for this... any ideas?

Thanks!!

6. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    i had a gt5056 and bought a OCZ gameXtream and it worked fine.

7. SophiaLuminous New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about a good manuf for PSU? I will likely get an 8600, there are size issues with the case that I have so I can't get a lot of the really good cards out there... *shakes fist at Gateway* But that card has 400w requirement.

8. RGS265 New Member

Thanks Received:
    8600 works fine in mine…

I have a GT5056 with a 350W PSU. geForce 8600 works great with no overload on the PSU.