1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading thoughts from SLI GTS 250's?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by jasper1605, Nov 12, 2009.

1. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I'm definitely going to be upgrading these cards at some point in time of the near future. I still can't make up my mind between nvidia or ati but should I go ati where is the bang for the buck on the cards and also do you think price will drop when the GT300 comes out (within the next 5 years or so :ohwell: )

Edit: What are some of the better companies to go with for these cards? I've done oodles of reading on nvidia stuff so know the reliability from their side, but what's good for the ati style?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Langy3366 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ATI Graphics Card review

Found this link very helpful. Not only do they recommend 4850 and 4870 cards at a particular price point, they recommend two of them at the higher price point. I think with regard supplier you need to make sure they havent been playing around with the stock parts too much (unless a better cooler is added). Sapphire, Powercolor, XFX get my vote. That said my Sapphire died on me after 4 months. It was replaced as a faulty card. currently have a Powercolor HD4870 1GB. Overclocking is very straight forward with this GPU. Get enough airflow though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2404.html

3. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    define "near future" as in a year? if yes then prices and options will be very different so relax and enjoy what u have, and that is a powerful system....

4. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Right now: dual 5850's in CFX would be ideal.

In the future... who knows. It depends if nvidia ever shows up to play.

5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    dual GTS 250s seem fast enough for the time being wait till around May or June to upgrade

6. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    The 250's like said are enough for anything out there right now. But if you feel yo need the power, moving to 2x 5850 is the sweet spot for performance and price. Then 2x 5870 if your out to break the bank.