1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS recommendation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sunhdp, Oct 8, 2011.

1. sunhdp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, Yesterday i got my new APC BACK-UPS 1100va will it able to handle 1000w PSU, Please help

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It's not the PSU it's got to handle it's your system demand. I use a 1500va \900w and i get 30 minutes to a 190w load.

So whats your system and whats the watt of the ups ?.

And a ups is really for saving your shit untill you can shut it down and not to keep it up till power is back.

3. sunhdp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its 1100va\660w and my specs are
    core i7 920
    rampage ii exterme
    6gb ddr3
    hd 6970
    1 ssd and 2x1tb hard drives
    corsair hx1000 psu

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Should be fine to use it, but you might only have a few minutes and the only way to really find out is to try it..

So hook it all up and make sure it's fully charged, any chance UPS made a gadget\program to give you a way to monitor the status of the UPS ?.

So check there site and surly they have some thing to monitor it with..

5. sunhdp New Member

Thanks Received:
    No their is no gadget or program for this unit, I contact APC they said that this unit is not recommended for 1000w PSU even for just shut down during power cut so i am going to purchase their APC Smart-UPS 1500VA with 980 Watts/1500 VA.Thanks for reply

6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Hi. I pulled a few posts for you from a thread I made a while back when I was trying to cure a problem related to shutdowns.

sunhdp says thanks.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    They would reconmend that as they probably think your drawing 600w+. Were really your drawing about 200w-400w.

+1

sunhdp says thanks.
  8. sunhdp New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a great relief i really got worried thinking that my computer may get damaged. Thank you very much for helping me and i am thinking of upgrading my 3yrs old PSU to HX1050, What do you think?

9. westom

Thanks Received:
    A power supply with too much load will never be damaged by that load. And the undersized supply will never damage its load. As was true with electronics long before the PC existed. If a load is too big, the power source must simply power off.

A UPS with too much load will never be damaged by the load. And the power supply powered by an undersized UPS will never damage the supply. Properly designed hardware means a load to too big, then power source (UPS) simply powers off.

Since most UPSes connect a computer directly to AC mains when not in battery backup mode, then shutoff will only occur when the UPS switches to batteries.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    sunhdp says thanks.