1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UPS Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CarolinaKSU, Jul 5, 2008.

1. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all, I am in the market to get a UPS for my rig to help protect my raid in case of power outages and to give my pc more protection from lightning from the storms we get here in Kansas.

Anyone have any suggestions for one powerful enough but not overly expensive for a pc of my power requirements and a laptop and speaker system as well? I have heard Belkins are terrible and my brother has an APC which i have heard are great, but Cyber Power ones seem to get good reviews too.

Also, will the fact that I live in an old house that only has the stupid 2 prong outlets make a difference? Right now I am using one of those adapters that converts a 2 prong to a 3 which is what my current surge protector is using.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I have that Cyberpower 1000w UPS. It works great, and has saved me multiple times. With the system in my specs to the left, including the 22" monitor it gives me about 7-10 minutes of run time, which is enough to shut the machine down if the power goes out. The software automatically shuts it down anyway, so I don't have to worry about being there to do it myself. Though it only supports that on one computer(most are like this).

I wouldn't put your laptop on it, doesn't it already have a battery in it? You can plug the laptop into the non-battery back-up side if you want though, to get the protection from power surges.

Not having a 3 prong will definitely affect it, the third prong is ground, without a ground it makes surge protectors useless.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course my laptop has a battery, I just want it plugged into a better surge protector than the pos I got from walmart for 10 bucks.

One question about the 2 to 3 prong adapter.. it has a screw that screws into the hole in the middle of the actual socket, I thought that this allowed for that 3rd prong to be grounded to the receptacle. Is that true or no?
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that grounds the connector IF the receptical is grounded. Your best option to find this out would be to go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap 3-Prong socket tester. Use it to test your 3-Prong adaptor to make sure it is grounded.
    CarolinaKSU says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU