1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ups

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MUZAKKIR, Mar 28, 2011.

1. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have 600va 360w ups and i have 450 psu...............it do not give me backup more than 90sec when it is full charge..................what's the problemmmmmmmmmm
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What are the rest of your pc specs? Graphics card? Processor? It would help if you go into the forum's control panel and input the specifications there and tick the box so they'd show up underneath your username.

Btw, I think you have a problemmmmmmm with sticky keys on your keyboard? ;)
    95Viper says thanks.
  3. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    e5400 cpu,2gb kingston ddr2 800,seagate 500gb hdd,sony dvd rw,dg41rq mobo i do not plug my monitor in ups..................
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    how long have you used the ups, at least it should be 2 minutes. if before 1 year you could rma it,
    it looks the battery that couldnt fully recharge or bad recharge or both of them
  5. neoreif

neoreif New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ OP:

My set up can be powered by my APC 500va back-UPS for 17 mins during power outtages while crunching on full load. So I can say that maybe you have to replace the battery of the UPS for it may not be supplying the needed current anymore.Does it do long beeps? And what brand is it?
  6. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    it is an intex ups..............it is only 3months old.............when i plug my tv which is about 180w in this this ups then it gives me 20 mins of backup...............
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    try full charge it about 24 hours if theres no difference it looks the battery err. i guess better you rma it
    btw have you checked now on your tv? does it still give you 20 minutes of back up? if not just rma it
    neoreif says thanks.
  8. neoreif

neoreif New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm? Could be that when you plugged in your PC, it wasnt fully charged yet. If its only 3 months old then its relatively new and the batteries should work fine at this stage. Maybe you can test it again on the tv then on the pc. Mind you that my UPS should be plugged in for 24 hours to have a full charge and im not kinda familiar on yours. Sorry if I cant help further but I do hope you do find a solution my friend!:eek:
  9. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya it still give me backup of 20mins ...............is this bcoz of my psu which is about 450w????
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    UPS's arent meant to give you hours of backup power, you either need to get a more powerful UPS, or reduce the power consumption of the computer on it (reduce power consumption of the PC, dont run monitor off it, etc)
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  11. neoreif

neoreif New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your problem is kinda strange cause my UPS is rated lower than yours but powers my PC and monitor longer! Its not the PSU cause my PC draws more power (compare my specs) than yours so I may have to recommend that you RMA it as Micropage also suggested earlier.
  12. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont run monitor on it......................................so what is the problem
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the problem is that your PC is using more power than your UPS can provide. i already gave you your answers.
  14. neoreif

neoreif New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ OP:

Cant find a decent review of the UPS brand that you got there. Might as well settle for a good brand like APC if back up power is really important for your rig. Never compromise on quality as the say! Good luck!
  15. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i agree to mussel. check it again 1st is does the ups still give you enough backup time now? like on your tv, if yes it could be from your cpu draw much power than your ups can give. if not it could be from the battery, bad charge or bad battery if its from the battery just rma it
  16. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    I think there is nothing wrong with your UPS. If you want it to work offline longer than 90 sec, you need bigger VA rating of UPS. I have 1000VA UPS and my PC is using ~330W when gaming, it works for about 60 secs and then I turn PC off to save batteries from deep discharge. Only time when I saw PC running offline for about 20 min. was when my friend bough't 3000VA UPS for his gaming PC.

*edit* When I had 600VA/375W UPS, my PC ran for about 15 sec, then UPS started beeping. And when playing very demanding games, it failed to work if power outage occured.
    What I want to say is: UPS are often overrated, especially cheap ones, that's why try to buy good brand or with bigger VA/W rating than you actually might need.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  17. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I have a APC Back UPS RS 800va powering the PC in my sig (700w PSU) and according to the UPS software i have 16min left while the PC is idle (consuming 248w).
    I don't see how your PC could last only 90dec, unless you have a crappy 450w PSU, with a very low efficiency, or you have a crappy/faulty UPS, or both.
  18. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No dedicated graphics card? That'd be one of the pc components which uses up most power especially while gaming. If you have onboard graphics then your pc uses much less power.

But the OP says he gets barely 90 seconds.. Shouldn't UPS's give somewhere between 5-10 minutes at least depending on pc usage (ie whether one is gaming or perhaps doing office work/surfing the net)?
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if he has a really poor, inefficient PSU it could hamper things. i honestly dont think his 90 seconds is an accurate measurement, and is more of a loose underestimate on his part.

and besides, look at this for an example of what cheap UPS's are capable of.

[​IMG]

the OP's is even lower specced than that, so its entirely possible 2 minutes at full capacity is all he's gunna get. i again repeat my previous statements: he needs a better UPS, or a lower power system.
  20. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    I think it depends on if UPS is good branded or cheap one. Branded are mean't to run on full power while cheap ones are designed to run at about half of rated power(from my experience), anything beyond that cuts operating time drastically, because branded sure uses quality batteries. There is big price/quality difference between batteries.

To kingping: I would like to know what mAh rating batteries RS 800va UPS uses, so I can compare it with what I have.

*edit* OP's UPS uses one 12v/7 or 7.6 mAh battery(depending on model), it's simply not capable of providing more backup time, especially in case of inefficient PSU and discharge protection.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  21. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you want to really find out what's going on, buy a Kill-a-watt and put it between the UPS and the rig.
    Unplug the UPS and see how much power your rig is drawing from the UPS battery.
    If the power draw should not be sufficient to drain the UPS that fast, then either the battery is bad or the UPS is junk.
  22. neoreif

neoreif New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my UPS:
    http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE500R-PH

I've had it for a year and 4 months. Been powering the setup in my specs and got it tested 2 or 3 times now during power outtages. The UPS supplied continuous power for the PC and LCD for over 10 mins while it was crunching full power! So bottom line here would be quality always pays off in the end! Just my two cents!
  23. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    my ups shut off in 90sec but it does not completely discharge when i tried again then it run about 70sec
  24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    then you're drawing too much power from it, and its overloading and shutting off.
  25. MUZAKKIR New Member

Thanks Received:
    can u explain it more clearlyyyyy