1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

urge to move to the darkside.. rising..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ketxxx, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Pros and cons folks for me selling my Crosshair and A64 in favour of a Abit AW9D MAX and E4300. I dont want to see an fanboy war breakout here. I'm asking simply because it'll help me decide :p TRying to mainly decide if its worth the effort selling my mobo and CPU then getting the intel combo.
  2. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    mmmmm darkside

But If I was changing like you, Id go for a chip higher on the core2 range. Like the 6600.
  3. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    The 4300 is good enough, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB, and most clock to 3.2GHz without breaking a sweat. Plus with the mobo I'm thinking about, I should be able to get a nice 1000MHz FSB or higher without too much trouble.

ed- out of curiosity what do we think is a good price for a modded crosshair, Freezer 64 Pro and a chip that clocks like a bat outta hell? I was thinking about £240
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  4. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I see you have a pretty good oc on your cpu, but if I had your setup, I would keep it and get the X2 6000+ for ~$240 here in the states. I would then just sell the 3500+. Nice rig you have now.
  5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    True. but once i hit uni i can kiss goodbye to pc upgrades fir like a year, plus a dual core would come in handy for uni work that does realtime 3d rendering an stuff.
  6. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Key, us am2 bros got to stick together...

How about k10? Does your computer go that slow?
  7. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make the move to the darkside, you wont regret it :)

Being a fanboy/a *cough am2 bro cough* is a waste of money and performance :D
  8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    LOL. My opinion is when your computer can no longer do what you want it to do, upgrade. I have not hit that point yet. Ket should not be hitting it either.

If I had the money I would go C2d no joke, but I don't. I'll upgrade when my computer is no longer fast enough to play Crysis...
  9. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i get what you mean. BUT - will his computer be outdated in a year for graphics programs and such? Id say probably. The advantage of the C2d is that its perfect for apps now-a-days, and in a year when its not that great, you can get an EASY 50% OC, making it no longer outdated :D
  10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Thats my point ;) So who wants a modded asus crosshair combo? :D
  11. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Guess you could compare AMD to a chubby chick. She can do everything you need to keep you happy, and you can always afford her.

Intel is maybe the fakebelieve pretty girl that will cost you more money. But is the b*&%H really worth it? Not to me. I'll stick with the chubby chick. :rockout:

Maybe get the 6000+ and a good DX10 card instead. Im guessing you will be wanting to get a DX10 card.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What are the mods and how much cash we talkin?!!
  13. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats not a good analogy because AMD care about u just as much as intel. NOTHING.

All both companies care about is how much profit they are making. Hence, going towards one company is pointless :)
  14. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    dunno what to really ask. was thinking £240 (including postage) bundled with my cpu and ac freezer 64 pro. anyway back to the pros an cons :p
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sticking with your current setup

Pros:
    *You don't have to spend any money
    *You don't have to spend time tearing your computer apart and putting it back together.
    *You have the option to move into dual core AM2 processors.

Cons:
    *Performance isn't as high as you would like(I assume that is why you want to upgrade).
    *AMD Processors are still overpriced for the performance level you get, especially if you are an overclocker.
    *Even with a modded motherboard you still can't get an overclock out of it that you can get with a cheap Core 2 Duo and a decent stock motherboard

Moving to the "darkside":

Pros:
    *You get better performance for your money
    *Even the cheapest Core 2 Duo overclocks beyond what any AM2 socket processor can do.
    *The option to move to quad-core is already available to you.
    *This upgrade should make you set for at least a few years.

Cons:
    *You have to tear apart your computer.
    *You have to spend money.
    *Good Core 2 Duo overclocking motherboards can be expensive.

That is just what I could come up with off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just moved to the "Darkside". I just sold my Opty 165/Lanparty-Ultra-D setup, and purchased a E6300 and A Gigabyte DS3 system. I've always been an AMD guy, but I'm itching to build something new every 6 months or so, and I just can't ignore almost all of the reviews regarding Core 2 Duo overclocking. There is nothing out there in AMD land that can match the potential here. The closest is the Opty I just sold. So, at least for the time being, I'm going to give Intel a chance for the first time in more than 8 years. I get the new stuff today.....
  17. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, the problem with AMD right now is that there is not much head room for overclocking on most of the higher end CPUs. Take the 6000+. It looks great at stock, but some reviews say that even a 10% OC will cause instability! Most of the fun for me when building a new rig is in the overclocking. No OC head room= No fun...for me at least.
  18. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    c2d is fast. if you want alot more performance go for the c2d. if i were you, id stick with your rig right now, then when k10 and 45 nm c2d comes out, let the prices drop and see which one is faster. of course youd have to wait half a year, but youd either have a better cpu than you could get now (k10) or youd have a better overclocker than you can get now (45 nm) oh and price drops on c2d by then is guarnteed.
  19. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    All good points, basically everything I was already tossing up.. hohum. Decisions decisions. Just out of curiosity, how does this sound;

Asus Crosshair mobo (modded up & flashed with BIOS 0502)
    A64 3500+ (clocks to 2.8GHz+ on 1.47v)
    AC Freezer 64 Pro (lapped)
    6800GT BIOS modded and clocked @ 420\1.18GHz.

Of course if this looks good and I decide to switch, the Crosshair will come in its retail packaging with all accessories and original invoice. CPU will also come with its paperwork for the 3yr AMD warranty. All for say around £300.
  20. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    To much i you ask me. I can get those parts new for that price and go to diner to.:D
  21. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's 600 us, umm im pretty sure for that money you could get new stuff that runs at your oc'ed speeds for that price.
  22. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    UK has a strong curreny :p I always sell stuff like this within the UK otherwise we get royally screwed.
  23. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    My stuff is new really with the exception of the 68GT, none of it is more than around 3 months old I dont think.
  24. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahh, oh and btw if you drop it...50 pounds or more, than you stand alot better chance at selling it all. oh and i take it you're moving the memory you have to the new motherboard? and yeah, i looked at newegg, your motherboard is still like 260 dollars. so everything with the motherboard and cpu has to be new, unless you have a old cpu and new motherboard? that doesn't make any sense though..
  25. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Why not buy a 5400 for cheapo now. The prices are dropping as we speak.
    And next year go for quad core Barcelona. They gonna kick Intell ass.;)