1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

usb broadban to router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Meltdown, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Meltdown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok need help my parents are on broadban but do not have a modem they have usb devise,

how do I hook up the router to the usb broadban devise with out the Modem or do i need a router with usb port to make this work sorry real confused with out the wires
  2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    For clarification, you're saying that your parents have a broadband modem that connects to their PC with USB.

I don't think that getting a router with a USB port is the solution because I don't think the router can accept data via USB. Even if I'm wrong, that's an odd way to do things.

A better solution would be to get another modem that has a ethernet port, and connect the modem to the router with an ethernet cable.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    well im pretty sure most modems come with both usb and ethernet...atleast the ones iv used. does yours? if not just grab a short ethernet wire.
  4. Meltdown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry i was confused they have wireless broad ban so how would hook that up to router so they may have a home network So the usb devise is the way they call out to the internet they have no modem i am lost help

edit so do i need some thing like thes D-Link DWL-922 Wireless USB Network Router/Adapter Kit, 802.11g, 54Mbps, Includes DI-524 & DWL-G122
  5. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    That D-Link product is not what you want. All that is is a regular router with a USB desktop adapter.

So your parents have a wireless broadband modem. Ok. Do you know the model number of the modem? Can you ask your parents what the model number or name of the modem is?

Solaris17 brings up a good point. Is there an ethernet port on the modem? If so all you need is a regular router and an ethernet cable.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    routers that come with USB, are USB outputs, not inputs.

You can either use a PC with internet connection sharing to share the broadband, or you can buy a mobile broadband router, probably from your ISP.
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I believe what you are getting at is--they have wireless broad band using these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or something similar.

What you will need to know is :
    1. What vendor
    2. Which device.
    So, you can get a compatiable Router to function with the usb broadband wireless device.

Edit: I have used this in the past for my work. As there are other options now.

You can, go with, a mobile broadband wifi point, usually offered by your vendor.

Check google for routers that will function with the card they are using.

These are googled examples. click here>Cradle Point 3G Router

Some work with 2G/3g , EVDO, etc., so you will need to choose the correct one.
    Meltdown says thanks.
  8. Meltdown New Member

Thanks Received:
    THanks 95Viper thats what they have I suggested that my father call verizon see if they have a modem or what they think that will give them home network that way verizon makes good on there service