1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

using laptop as second monitor?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by moocow0463, Aug 27, 2014.

1. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    looking for either a mouse/keyboard share program or some way to use my laptop as a second monitor when i am at home. The laptop is windows 8 the desktop windows 7. i tried to download a program called Synergy but it led me to some weird 3rd party download host where they want you to download their installer, or their toolbar etc etc decided to not got that route. any other suggestions?

2. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I know that with some all in ones they have a hdmi input. Never heard of a laptop doing that though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
  4. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I use a Microsoft-only version called "Mouse Without Borders". Made in the Microsoft Garage itself. I found it to be less buggy than Synergy, supports shared clipboard and moving files between monitors, and just seems to be generally better.

Edit: It still has bugs, mind you, namely trying to copy something really big between screens. It comes up with an error, but it still works.

I still use it everyday at work though. I actually use it in the exact same way you do. Main computer in the middle, two laptops on either sides. I usually have it set up with four screens. I might be able to find a picture.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Naito says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Just bumping to show my work battlestation. Laptop on the left hosts left screen , main computer hosts middle screen, right laptop hosts right screen. I normally have the lett laptop hidden and just use the right monitor.

[​IMG]

moocow0463 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I personally use synergy and have never had an issue with it, and as soon as I saw your question I thought "that is exactly the answer". I would suggest trying again. I don't know how you got mislead, I do know they have started asking for donations ($3 premium, worth it) but it's still freely available open source, and last time I installed did not bundle any crap.

direct link to the windows versions (32 bit | 64 bit)

official download page: synergy-project.org

moocow0463 and xvi say thanks.
  7. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    this was the link i used but i figured it out...its kinda hidden, dont click the DOWNLAOD button...those are ads, the actual download link is in fine print below the big bold ad's , very mis leading download link ill try it again thanks

digibucc says thanks.