• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using multiple peripherals with a USB hub

waabafett

Hi,
I currently have a simple 4-port usb hub but problems begin to occur when using all 4 ports at once with peripherals such as mice/keyboard/xbox controller reciever
I assume this is due to power limitations. If so, and i were to purchase a powered usb hub, what would be a suitable voltage/ampere power adapter for using mainly gaming mice.
e.g. would http://www.ianker.com/product/68ANHUB-S7A be okay? any suggestions would be appretiated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Hi,
I currently have a simple 4-port usb hub but problems begin to occur when using all 4 ports at once with peripherals such as mice/keyboard/xbox controller reciever
I assume this is due to power limitations. If so, and i were to purchase a powered usb hub, what would be a suitable voltage/ampere power adapter for using mainly gaming mice.
e.g. would http://www.ianker.com/product/68ANHUB-S7A be okay? any suggestions would be appretiated.
Thanks.
You're spot on! I can't run my laptop cooling pad fans on a non-powered USB hub due to USB ports only giving out a very limited amount of power. Getting a powered USB hub would be awesome and probably fix your issues.

Now for that USB port I'm not sure how it'll run but it looks promising. Good luck!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member

Should be okay, as long as you follow the info in the manual:

For maximum performance, connected devices should
not exceed a combined current of 4A (power adapter
attached), or 900mA (powered solely by the USB
connection) . Otherwise, connections may become
unstable or disconnect entirely.

It comes with a 5V/4A power brick.

However the second part of the quote (after the "or") is dependent on if you are connecting to a USB 3.0 port.
If it is a USB 1.x or 2.x it will be different... if you use it powered by the USB connections(not using the power brick).

Here is a chart for reference from Wikipedia.

usbpower.png

Also, if you want to charge certain devices (phones, iphones, ipads, tablets, etc.)... make sure it is compatiable to do so, not all are.

And, if you do not need the Mac style, there are others out there at a lower price point.

Last edited: