1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Announces Steam OS

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you code for OpenGL you wouldn't face DirectX :D

2. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I have been wanting to use Linux as my primary OS for so long, thank you Valve.

3. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sources for which statement?

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
    "Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want."

The Kernel is Linux which is GPL'd so anything they do to it is also GPL'd, but I doubt Valve is touching the Kernel. It is almost certainly not going to be a Linux distro from the ground up, they will most likely be using some existing distro as a basis due to time constraints. Maybe at some point they will have rolled their own like Android but I doubt it.

4. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    If only the game coders would start to code the games for OpenGL instead of Direct3D, then I think Windows 8 would go to early retirement...

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Virtually all AAA games on Windows presently use DirectX. Even games that are coded for more than Windows (Mac OS X/Linux) the Windows release still almost always uses DirectX excepting iD Software (John Carmack loves himself OpenGL).

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No. Not until Windows 9 comes anyway (which likely will be like Windows 8 but more). So just no.

If you're talking about Windows in general, no again. Sales would likely drop, but it won't dissapear.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Steam can do what it likes with this Linux OS. Only indie games are going to be developed for this linux based OS. Every other big developer is going to make games primarily for consoles, then port to PC. A very select few will ever make it to Linux debian(steamOS).
    This is just a statement. It's like shaving your butt cheeks in WalMart because Best Buy wouldnt let you do it there.
    Only HTPC's will see this SteamOS, anyone with high end enthusiast hardware worth 2K or more isnt going to install SteamOS and limit themselves to what they can do with said hardware. People should accept this for what it is. A free platform for indie developers with low budgets. This isnt some kind of Windows killer because Gabe has beef with Windows 8.

Chevalr1c and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yup. If I ever get around to making an HTPC, I would try Steam OS on it before buying Windows.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    And, no Battlefield 4.

10. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Any word on when this'll be available to download?

11. erek New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's completely open source, what are you talking about closed?

12. erek New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most big companies use their own engines or license an engine and don't usually code for OpenGL or DirectX directly. A lot of it is scripting in a particular language like UnrealScript, Java/JavaScript, and or C#, and etc. If the engine supports compiling to Linux as a target then you are in luck.

13. Gavin

Thanks Received:
    Straight from the Steam annoucement

14. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    I think the real issue here is that Linux hasn't taken over the world or taken it by storm and that is for a very good reason. I don't think SteamOS will change this and why should it?

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  15. csendesmark

csendesmark

Thanks Received:
    I hope it will be great :toast:

16. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    The reason for that is many of the killer apps that people are using are windows based, and linux has traditionally been a pain in the ass to use.

However, now that windows 8 managed somehow to be even a bigger pain in the ass to use than even linux, and gaming (which in itself is a huge reason people spend $$ on pcs) is moving to linux, that allows for a viable competing OS for a gaming rig. And people who want the best bang for the buck would much rather use the money that they saved on a windows license for additional gear.

So no - it wont change the world, but it will definitely give linux the boost in popularity and quality that it needs to compete with Windows Pho er.. Windows 8.

erek says thanks.
  17. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Question is, do you have to turn your PC into a steambox? Y/N
    Also, dual boot.
    It's not going to be released on steam anyway.
    Again, dual boot.

18. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Why dual boot when Windows is doing the same as steamos and it's already installed? Just for fun? I see this os strictly for a new build dedicated to entertainment. But what would you say that if at some point steam will only be available on steamos or it will become steamos and you'll have to run a machine with this os to access your games? Is it too much of a conspiracy?

19. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a lack of a synchronised push away from Windows, and Linux is quite fragmented in terms of both updates and support. I don't think SteamOS will change this either, but we need an alternative for PC gaming instead of relying on Windows (and DirectX by extension).

20. Solidstate89

Solidstate89

Thanks Received:
    It'd be great if the Steam client could also provide streaming capabilities. I already have an HTPC in my living room, and it would be really neat to play some of the games installed on my desktop on the TV.

But I'll be damned if I'm installing a new OS just to fucking do it.

21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Steam OS + Steambox + Half Life 3 bundled with said Steambox would be awesome.

22. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    And how many games on Steam can even work under this new platform, given that any large developer is going to code for Direct X and not OpenGL?

Dual boot is nice and all, but people prefer a unified experience. Linux is great and all, except, you know, no support for apps that are worth a damn in the first place. Great server, great base, but let's face it, Linux never has and probably never will replace Windows/Mac OS.

Should it happen, though, I will eat my words. Probably with green chili and cheese. Like a breakfast burrito.

23. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Nah, they license game engine that has both OpenGL and DirectX renderer, and since most of the game logic is in scripts rather in native code and shaders are recycled all the time, deploying for different platforms is relatively easy this way - most of the job is already done by engine developers.

24. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    If that's the case, I also like bacon in my burritos.... :laugh:

25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope they make driver support easy-ish to do with this O/S. Heck, it's going on my HTPC the moment it's realeased!