1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vapochill worth anything anymore?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dano 00TA, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Dano 00TA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a older Vapochill classic in my closet and was wondering if these things are worth anything anymore. I see Asetek discontinued the line and there's no adapters for newer sockets:shadedshu Worked great with my old 478 setup though:laugh:

Anyone know if it's worth it to try and sell or just let it sit and take up space?

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you could try and sell it, but i think youd struggle to find a buyer, and even if you do you be lucky to get more then the price of a burger meal out of it.

if theres no adaptors for newer sockets then theres no future for it and its more or less just a hunk of scrap metal.

Mod it into a mini fridge or something, as that what it is in respect anyway

3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    yep you will take an indefinate loss, unless you find someone with an old setup who doesnt know what they cost. even then its wrong to take advantage. sadly cascadses/SS's dont hold water now that LN2 lHe is taking over

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    You could always fab a adapter for this block it has.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Dano 00TA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did read there's a guy that makes/sells adapters for newer sockets but is there any benefit to extremely cool a sandy bridge or newer cpu?

6. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I would say if it still works then use it, ive herd those cases are made for 24/7 use so find an adaptor for X58 or X67 and build a massive OC beast

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Mod it and do something funny with it. I wouldn't know what it would be though,

8. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I dunno about 24/7. I personally found Phase change units like this to be a little noisey.

9. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    That was vapochills sales pitch was it was able to use 24/7

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    have a modded vapochill classic and lmao at those who say it's worthless. They've probabally never moded a thing in their life.

item 1: if you're going to cool any modern cpu you need to change the r134 to r404a, any local a/c shop can do this for you. you also need to upgrade it's fans to handle the extra heat load as well. Custom mounting can be made or you can simply buy the dangerden universal mount top for waterblocks, put it on there and use their spring/screw/nut moutning like I do. Seriously people it's not rocket science!

item 2: ebay will fetch you close to 200$ for it if advertized properly

item 3: if you're not a modder and don't want to go through the hassle simply pair it with a waterblock in a watercooling loop (ie cooling head against a waterblcok right after the radiator but before the cpu block) and you've got an instant waterchiller. If you're selling it on ebay I'd advertize that use as well.

dustyshiv says thanks.
  11. Dano 00TA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hummm, use as a water chiller huh? Although since I'm using a h50 that might be a little tough to do:confused: guess I could try to ebay it first and if it doesn't sell, then I'll play with it....gotta dig it out of my closet first:eek: Thanks for the ideas!