1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

very light yellow checkerboard effect after softmodding 9500NP

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sweeper, Oct 1, 2005.

1. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just picked up a Sapphire Radeon 9500NP 128MB card in hopes that it would softmod to a 9700 and unlock the extra 4 pipelines. BUT, after the softmod I get a very faint yellow checkerboard effect which comes and goes. Example, if I click on Start/programs it will appear for a second on the program menu but disappears within less than a second.

My question is "What causes the checkerboard effect?" , memory timings, core timings, or just having the extra pipelines enabled?

If it's just a core "HEAT" problem, then can I purchase a better cooler in hopes that will keep the core cool enough if the core is the problem?

Thanks,
    Sweeper

2. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well usually checkerboard is related to the 4 disabled pipes...they are most likely defective, try running 3DMark/Aquamark and such...to see if you get checkerboard artifacts. Better Cooling would not help you, if the disabled pipes are busted.

3. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhh.... Well, that sucks.... Dang, thought I had a good deal. The card was from a user who never OC it and never even tried the softmod, etc. It has the "L" shaped memory etc. Thought I had a little charm. Oh well, gonna see how high she will clock I guess. Damn.............. :(

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only card I ever tried the softmod on was a friends 9800SE - didn't have any problems with the image, but the PC just crashed after 5 mins gaming, so I had to put the ATI drivers back on. Guess it depends on luck whether the pipelines work properly or not.