1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Video of old nv card vs GTS 512 playing COD4

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by EastCoasthandle, Jun 13, 2008.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just so happen to come across a video of showing the old GTS and GTS 512 using 2 PCs, 2 monitors, etc. What caught my attention was the fact that the monitor on the right was a bit washed out. What's the deal? This starts at 5m:12sec
    Another interesting tidbit is that there is really no noticeable difference in game immersion (smoothness, speed, responsiveness, etc) when the 2 are compared

Side note:
    Are there any other comparisons like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the angle of view and the screen itself often have more effect. Video card drivers and monitors all have different settings, as well as age being a factor.
  3. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    The angle is nearly dead on for both so I can't say that's a real factor here. As far as settings go I am not seeing a push of red, cyan, etc to suggest an absence of green and blue that I see on the monitor to the right. Video card drivers can be a factor but I've never seen drivers screw of the colors like that before. And since he mentioned that the monitor on the left is using an older video card is part of the reason why I asked about this. IMO this is a bit odd...

I can see were gamma maybe an issue but that doesn't explain the missing colors.
  4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    a few degrees on an older screen makes all the difference. and i meant driver SETTINGS as well as monitor settings - you can tweak them to suit yourself, and look bad to others (very important is that they are different screens)
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the screen to the right connected to a G80 GTS? If so, obviously they wanted to show the G92-GTS in a better light (having better IQ..blah blah). I've used both, they're both the same when it comes to IQ. Pretty lame attempt to market the G92-GTS. The screen is blurry because of its angle to the camera.
  6. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    It may make a difference in other examples but in the photos I've provided in the OP that is not the case here. There is no discernible difference in how the camera is recording both monitors in this video.
  7. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    The monitor on the right is using the GTS 512. And as I've said in the other post, the camera angle on both monitors are just fine. There is no discernible difference to justify why there is a lack of blue, green, etc. When you reach the angle limit of a monitor the whole screen can change color. If you look at the first pic in the OP. All the lettering is pure white.
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that looks like the brightness/contrast is turned up a lot higher on the one on the right. nothing to do with the video card.
  9. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking more gamma but that's also possible. However, that doesn't explain the lost of green in the first pic and the lack of blue in the other.
  10. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    the 2 monitors are not same see the stand
  11. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I notice that and wouldn't expect an exact color reproduction in this case. However, the lack of colors is not a means to justify 2 different monitors. Thus the reason why I asked about this. Is the issue:
    -driver related (funky reaction between drivers and OS...even though I never head of that before)
    -Control panel related (ie does he have to manual configure, etc)
    -something wrong with the monitor
    -something else? gamma, brightness, contrast...

Also, I notice that although the GTS 512 is faster there is no real performance improvement in game play. They for the most part are almost in syn with one another with the some exceptions.
  12. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    then is a calibration problem; is hard to achieve on 2 diff. LCD the same gamut;is possible that no calibration was done on this 2 ones so you can't know exactly what's the problem.

as the sync between they must have diff.input lag
  13. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I believe you are painting a much broader brush here. The gamut between both monitors is still unknown. Therefore, not the only explanation to the problem. As you already admit both monitors aren't calibrated so calibrating them remains an unknown to the issue at hand. Take a look at the 1st pic also watch the video.
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    we have. we're telling you its calibration (gamma, brightness, contrast) and the difference between having two monitors.
  15. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I was the one who suggested gamma and already said that brightness and contrast could also be an issue. However, As I've said before brightness and contrast doesn't explain the lack of green in the wording in the 1st pic. Also, having reviewed the ending of that video again, the words "modern warfare" are actually pretty blurred out as noted in the first pic but look fine in the 2nd pic.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  16. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    i say its a monitor issue too, unless they use 2 same monitors its a bit pointless,
    theres a monitor at a mates that has a slight green tint to it, not noticable unless its sitting next to another monitor,
  17. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    if you had a still picture from ex. the same photo on the 2 screen you'll have more infos about this and without any information is hard to explain when even 2 twin monitors are not the same; is like searching the truth beyond us...
  18. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I agree it could be a monitor issue or something else more then just a calibration concern or differences found in 2 monitors. What got my attention as I think about it is the processing effect found on the wording MODERN WARFARE. It's pretty blurred out (something basic calibration won't address). In pic #2 to were no process effect is found (just the missing green) the wording is not blurred (that I can see). It's best to watch the video, the processing effect on the wording MODERN WARFARE is simply not done correctly (along with the missing green).
  19. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    you don't know even if the game&card settings are the same for both pc's so it maybe a deliberate confrontation between the 2 cards just to "prove" something...

i like old CRT's no issues like this...
  20. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    is the second monitor a lower res? i think it could be,
  21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that blurring would be easy to cause on an analogue connection, if you hadnt hit auto adjust on the monitor. That is definately possible under the concept of 'calibration'

Also, i know that image glows - its not static. if the monitor was set excessively bright at such a time, it could just be excessive bleeding between pixels.
  22. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I mean, there are a ton of reasons it could look like that. In all the reviews and such I've ever read for the gts 512 and in my own experience I have never seen anything about washed out colors. This could be contrast or other monitor settings, view-point (the two are NOT at the same angle, the one on the left is directly facing the camera), or driver/cp issues, since he just installed the card. I'm not sure why there's any question if the g80 displays a richer picture than the G92. That's just silly.

I didn't listen to the audio, so I'm not sure what he was going for, just watched it briefly.
  23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    He never made any comments to hint towards that. Also, he never mentioned the other video card used. To me, that's a pretty far fetched conspiracy theory. We would need to know what he's proving against to say such a confrontation exist. Also, the processing effect for the wording MODERN WARFARE is messed up despite the IQ on both monitors looked similar throughout the game.

This is more suited towards basic maintenance not calibration in the example you provided. As for the glowing of the word Modern Warefare if it was "excessive bleeding" then you we would have seen it throughout the game. The problem with that is that the image is completely washed out not bleed out.
  24. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should of thought about swaping the v cards arounds after and doing it all again.
  25. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, there could be a ton of reasons however, the monitor on the left is NOT directly facing the camera but slightly angled.

I inquired about it because it's not clear what's causing the problem. What is not silly is the fact that although the card on the right is an older card (I didn't hear him mention the name of the card) there is very little/no discernible performance difference in the game itself.