1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Videogame Remakes: The Good, the Bad and the Pointless

Discussion in 'Games' started by qubit, Sep 12, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    And the author goes on to list classics such as Leisure Suit Larry & Super Mario 64 DS.

Wired

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the problem with remakes is that every single time they want to make them 'more accesible'

so if they remade the original super mario brothers, you'd have infinite lives, and if you died you'd respawn 30 seconds ago - not at the start of the level.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    One game i would like to see remade would be this one.

[​IMG]

there were always rumors and talk of there being a sequel but that all went to shit when M$ started shuttingdown or pawning off all the game dev studios

4. Jacko28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This isn't just a problem with re-makes, sadly it's a problem with sequels also. Just look at DA:2 and Crysis 2.

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats my point - they dont make sequels nowadays, they make reboots.

look at supreme commander 2 vs the original, or the ones you stated - they dont evne continue the damn story, they just make a reboot and dumb it down.

6. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I loved/love the remake of perfect dark for XBLA, would love to see more games of that era remade, especially N64 ones.

they 'redid' Vigilante 8 but it wasn't at all what I was expecting, I was thororly let down.

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Heroes of Might and Magic IV. :(

8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    A stalker remake would be nice. better graphics, less bugs and 10years less dev time.

I built a machine to run stalker when i first heard of the game and played the MP beta at a game Expo. by the time Stalker was released. i had already built another 2 systems just waiting for it.....

9. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I have never understood why people hear of a game and build a machine for it before it's released. It's not good practice.

10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    A lot of these games are too new, IMO for remakes.

We need to be remaking old stuff, like Imperium Galactica, Sea Dogs, Blade Runner, Master of Orion II, etc.

11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    because some motherf**kers are richer then all of ya'll!!!

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Indeed it's not. I guess they're betting on it being good and usually people aren't too disappointed. If you think about it, there aren't that many turkeys or outstanding games out there compared to the overall number released - it's the classic bell shaped curve.

13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Oh and it wasnt like i simply just 'heard' of the game. I spent the whole of the Expo playing the MP demo.

hell... I even paid for the second session of the Expo just so i can go back and carry on playing the game!! I beasted everyone that i played against.

I even beasted the AMD guy who was running and looking after all of the machines. and he was supposed to be good at the game!!.

I set up a 1v1 against him and i beasted his ass and he gave me his AMD Lanyard. AND THEY WERENT HANDING THEM ONES OUT AT EXPO

there were PS3 and Xbox and loads of lanyards being given out for free. but I walked away with something that wasnt on offer.

I was totally obsessed with that game. I think 8-12hrs demo'ing a game is long enough for me to decide if i want to buy it.

by the time the game came out, i couldnt really give a shit about it anymore. there were better games to look forward to

Frick says thanks.
  14. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    I want to see a remake of the original Deus Ex, specifically in a new engine, keep everything else the same; the voices, music, sound effects, level design. just update it into a cutting edge engine. oh and System Shock 2, new engine.

EA have just announced a Syndicate remake/reboot to be released in early 2012 (www.gamershell.com)

Frick says thanks.
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
  16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't think some of the remakes on his list are appropriate. What do you consider a remake? I consider it new engine, or beefing up the old one significantly, far better graphics, probably a better UI/Inventory system. Lots of games have done this years down the road, but I see God of War in his list, and those were bumped up to HD resolutions, but beyond that, nothing else was changed, I wouldn't call that a remake, they still look like PS2 games (they just looked great even on PS2).

17. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Add to that Oblivion.
    I just think they beefed up the engine a little from Morrowind and made the ui interface a tad different. They took away a few skills though and the world leveling up system wasn't all that great but bearable. But now finally it looks like a new engine with Skyrim and seems to be better spellcasting. Me is gonna be a spellthief :cool:

18. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Mussels says thanks.
  19. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Oh lord. this is just like XCOM all over again. although the new XCOM looks decent, it's not the same X-Com we know and love. this not a remake more like a re-design with some of the gameplay elements thrown in.
    While we're on X-Com, i wish someone would remake X-Com: Apocalypse

Mussels says thanks.
  20. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat all have Complete mods. Shadow of Chernobyl will be having Complete 2012 if you don't already have Complete 2009.

21. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Resident Evil REmake for GameCube (Archives in Wii), one of my favorite games, the remake is much more atmospheric (altho the original had its cheesy charms hehe). Would love to see em remake Resident Evil 2 (the best in the series imo).

Would like to see a remake of the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    I remember there was an unnoficial/fan remake of Chrono Trigger in the gamecube, but was destroyed by square enix.
    Serious Sam HD were still a blast to play (1st and second encounter, can't wait for BFE!!)
    Deus Ex 1 using Unreal 3.0 Engine/Cryengine 3, hmmm (but they will use Crystal Engine anyway)
    Still waiting for the remake of HL1 (Black Mesa)

22. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    While not strictly a remake, i want Blood III or maybe remake Blood and Blood II: The Chosen in the FEAR 3 Engine. Come on Monolith enough FEAR, re-visit your back catalogue. No One Lives Forever remakes anyone?

23. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Me want :D

24. Frick

Thanks Received:
    The game is not old enough imo.

Red_Machine says thanks.
  25. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    ^ 10 years is not old enough for you?

Halo HD remake = pointless
    Tomb Raider Anniversary = *pukes*
    Aliens vs Predator Classic 2K = that's what I'm talking about. Finally works great under XP/7 x64
    Serious Sam HD - *thinks* Personally I'd say it's pointless.
    AVP = good

There's a lot of forgotten games that deserve to be remade and there's a lot of remade games that deserve to be forgotten ....