1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vishera and Trinity to Take Over AMD Processor Lineup in 3Q 2012

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 26, 2011.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The latest AMD 2012 market outlook slides disclosed by DonanimHaber reveal that AMD will have a brand new lineup of processors and APUs by the third quarter of 2012. In the second quarter, AMD will begin with new accelerated processing units (APUs) that succeed the current A-Series "Llano" APUs, codenamed "Trinity". Trinity APUs will make use of next-generation "Piledriver" architecture x86-64 cores, as well, as next-generation Radeon HD 7000 series graphics.

Then in the third quarter, AMD will release its next-generation "Vishera" processors that succeed "Zambezi" AMD FX processors. Vishera will make use of next-generation "Piledriver" modules, and increase IPC (instructions per clock) beyond its predecessor "Bulldozer" architecture. In the interim, AMD will update its A-Series and AMD FX processor lines with new models. These include a new high-end processor, the AMD FX-8170, and two new A-Series APUs, the A8-3870K, and A6-3670K, both of which are unlocked for overclocking.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: DonanimHaber 1, 2
    cadaveca and digibucc say thanks.
  2. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    A8-3870K unlocked processor

isawwhatyoudidthere :D
  3. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    AMD and their slides ... :wtf:
  4. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    This might be slightly off-topic but anyway:
    Mobile roadmap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steamroller in 2013 :rockout::laugh:
    digibucc says thanks.
  5. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think, AMD news should be stopped until they release BD ... :wtf:
  6. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    so, will vishera (where's komodo btw?) have gpu on it as well?
  7. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    thing is normally different areas handle different processors, so even though bulldozer is delayed you may find none of the other processors behind it are, from what i know it was mostly problems moving over to 32nm that caused this so it's actually surprisingly likely we'll see new processors in 2012
  8. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Why are people complaing about this? It makes no sense.
    HossHuge and NC37 say thanks.
  10. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm happy. Can't wait to see the next gens of APU tech. Going to be great seeing more of a push towards better IGPs in laptops. Will help PC gaming as a whole if more people run on better hardware.
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Intel fanboys :rolleyes:
  12. Therion_I New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump!

13. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I understand this correctly Vishera is only an improved Zambezi (AMD FX-8170). But I could be wrong.
  14. faramir New Member

Thanks Received:
    People are complaining about the abundance of PR slides that aren't accompanied by even remotely similar number of new products on market.
  15. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    don't read and you'll be happy
  16. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  17. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it is a good sales move to announce that anyone who buys Bulldozer will have an obsolete platform in 1 year. Yes tech does go out of date rather quickly. But this is like a car salesman telling you about the upcoming 2012 model you can buy in a month while showing you pictures of the 2013 model and bragging about how much more awesome it is.
  18. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Not everybody "Up-grades" every year.

You are right. Some people need to go outside more.
  19. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Nice. I know when I'll be upgrading the wife and kids machines (Trinity).
  20. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That is my point exactly. Some people who were going to upgrade may read this and go, "My 1100T will last next year. I can wait for the next gen BD chips which should shake out the bugs by then."

Thus cutting into sales. Most people will have to buy a new mobo and RAM with their new chips and are not likely to do that twice. Forcing those people to question an upgrade this year will only give them more options next year aka Ivy Bridge.

I just think AMD should not show this kinda of information to people outside the company until after Bulldozer is out. Then you don't get these "press leaks" about future endeavors.
  21. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Where is black addtion code name, now they use K as unlocked cpu, damn slaves intel still masters
  22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    im reading this as semi old news as another leak says piledriver based 8-10 core chips will also be out in 2012, very busy year for amd no doubt, they have my respect if most of this mush comes true as their employees must be under the whip big time.
  23. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Trinity will be the CPU that will be in my first laptop I get. Along with a strong GPU, I'll be able to do work and play in the meantime. Can't wait, I see this performing quite a bit better than my E8400:toast:
  24. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Well there is really no need for the Black Edition label. If you are on AM3+ using Bulldozer, the chip is an AMD FX. That means it is "Black Edition" and classified by AMD as high performance. If you do not need that much power, then you drop into the Llano, putting you on a completely different platform/socket/processor class. AMD has always held that there will be no locked CPUs in the FX series, so only core count and default clock speeds are different.

Llano, on the other hand, is a rather strange mix of old and new AMD tech. I honestly think the APUs sold better than AMD expected and they did plan on so many variations. "K" was used to discern between the standard FM1 chips, as all of them have locked multipliers by default. I don't think the FM1 Athlon chip, nor the new K series APUs were planned up front. I think they were built recently to fill special requests and cater to a market they didn't expect to have. But I am only speculating here.
  25. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Both Intel and AMD have roadmaps but really what made me not want BD was seeing that they would be using a new socket for PD. The advancements with PD also looking better didn't help that either. So yeah, AMD hurt themselves by talking about PD...at least from getting at my wallet. Unless they plan to copy Intel with new sockets all the time, I'm hoping not. I like the fact that I can get many years out of my AMD systems before having to buy everything over again.