1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling newbie: please give some advice.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by robal, Jun 1, 2010.

1. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I'm thinking about building a watercooling loop for my PC.
    [done Googling... just wanted your advice also]

I'd like to cool both hi-end CPU and hi-end GPU (currently 125W Phenom and HD4890).
    I'm not into serious overclocking, but it has to be really quiet at stock (rad fan(s) at max 1000 rpm).

Can anyone with real experience tell me whether DDC-type pump will be enough, or should I get D5 ?
    Will a good single 120mm rad (like Rx120) handle it ? Or do I need dual rad (like RX240) ?

Cheers,
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You would want to get a triple 120MM and yes a DDC would handle the load but remember the pump is the heart of your loop, with that said myself would look at an mcp655 or d5.

EDIT:

Also wanted to add, if your into silent you will want to look at some 38MM thick fans, static pressure is a little higher with them.
    robal says thanks.
  3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    mcp355 will be enough but a high end pump is always better, not by alot though, usually by 1-4C max. I would run at least a triple, with shrouds, and usually fans in pull if they are low rpm.

also think about using variable fan speed. usually 25mm thick meduim speed fans can be daisy chained to the CPU header, as they dont pull that many amps. and they will spin up only when the CPU gets toasty. that will give you the best between cooling / noise.

Petra's Yate loon mediums are great for this. They are deathly quiet at 1200RPM.
    robal and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  4. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much sums it up. Thank you PB.

So you're saying do 25mm fans instead? Myself thats all I have are 38MM fans and I've never had a problem with daisy chaining, but max I've done were 2 fans. Then switched to 4 fan 25mm (push pull) on a double 120.
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    just to be safe... most 38mm fans pull more amps than 25mm and if you want your fans to spin up with the CPU (easiest way is through the mobo header) than its better to use lower amp fans.

3 38MM and unless theyre Yate Loon slow 38mm, your liable to be pulling over 3A from the mobo header and then you risk popping something.
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  6. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    So unless a Fan bay controller is purchased 25MM fans are best then? Hmmmm ....

... thanks for the tip PB. You're the best!:)
    phanbuey says thanks.
  7. Wolvenator

Wolvenator New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you create your own forum? I have a question i want to ask, but i don't know what i need to do?
    Thanks
  8. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Ygpm, wolvenator.
  9. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    OK, thanks for replies so far.

My impression from your suggestions is:

- pump is not THAT important
    - rather go for larger rad... double... triple 120mm
    - use 38mm fans with shrouds

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced case that would hold a triple rad inside ?

Cheers,
  10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    38mm with shouds will be a HUGE setup. do 25mm with 20mm shrouds (some 20mm thick yates cut out the fan) or just do straight 38mm in push. 38MM will be substantially louder.

as for the case... not alot of cases will fit a triple but the COOLER MASTER HAF will fit one nicely as will the cosmos.

For ultimate cooling I would do the HAF.
  11. air_ii

air_ii New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. The 355 pump will handle that ok. My loop (sig) is powered by a single DDC turned down to 60%. I would also go for a fan controller (auto or manual - up to you) that would let you turn down the fans for normal use.

If you want slow fans, I'd go for a push/pull 25mm config rather than 38mm pull. At low RPMs static pressure is quite low, so push/pull will yield better results than just pull (tested). And it gives better airflow to noise ratio as well (mind you, I'm talking about low rpm fans).

The rig in my sig is cooled by a single loop, 3x120 and 1x120 rads, push/pull fans. Fans normally operate at around 600rpm (idle with 4-5 water-air delta), and go up to 900-1000 rpms while gaming (controlled via aquaero), keeping water-air delta at 7-8C at load.

I don't know about other cases, I'm using a Cosmos S with a triple rad on top and a single one in front.
    phanbuey says thanks.
  12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    i remember back in the day I crammed a double a triple and a single in a lianli v series. lol... not worth it to say the least.