1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Web Design, why would anyone use Dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by johnspack, Mar 25, 2009.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm serious, why would anyone use dreamweaver over frontpage or web expressions? I can't edit a dreamweaver created website with even the simplest tools. Ideas?
    I'm po'ed because I have to install dreamweaver just to edit a simple logo, and can't do it from web expressions2. Silly app.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I've always used EditPlus for HTML/JS/CSS/PHP and Visual Studio for ASPX/XML (debugger/forces XML DTD compliance).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Dreamweaver is definitely one of the easiest webpage building applications. That is probably why its so popular. I've used it many times and it is very easy. I've never really tried any other apps.
  4. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    My opinion, I HATE frontpage, it's just to .... ugggg

but i love dreamweaver, integrates with all the Macromedia stuff, and is very powerfull. It;s one of my favority web building toods. Oh besides notepad.

I don't see why you can't edit the code with any program, it's html whats the problem?
  5. paulm

paulm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dreamweaver is generally intended for individuals who are competent in editing/creating the actual code of a webpage. You can use notepad to edit HTML web pages and it will work just as well. If you are speaking in terms of WYSIWYG editors, then I can't vouch for how well it performs that job.

Do yourself a favor and learn xhtml/css, it's much better than using the half-assed method. If you would like to change the logo, just change the source, it doesn't require usage of any sort of specialized editor...
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the power of web expressions2, used to prefer frontpage. But these programs are most in use. An html webpage that can't be edited in web expressions2 is fail! I am going to throw on dreamweaver, but I can't see using it as the only production tool.
  7. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Because for many many years Frontpage has been viewed as a crutch for wed dev Noobs. Seriously. It is also famous for stuffing code and writing bloated web pages. The HTML it generates is just horrible.

If you are a skilled web dev it doesn't matter what application you are using, because for the most part you will not use any of the built in functions and just skip to "Show Me the COde" and edit it directly, because you know the language and do not need a crutch.

Dreamweaver is excellent at displaying and organizing code. I use it extensively. But its in coder mode, not Graphic artist who thinks he can code mode. Big difference.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  8. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use NetObject Fusion for my crappy web needs.
  9. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    frontpage is disgusting (or it was the last time i used it.)

I havent yet used the new Expression Web, or those new tools that M$ released a couple years ago though I think i might. Basically the onlything i use Dreamweaver for it design view, as well as it handles tables nicely. It also integrates with the rest of the Adobe suite nicely. Most coding is done in conTEXT, though i have been playing with ZEND latly.

IMO just about anything is better than frontpage.
  10. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys are well behind, get with the times!

Basicly Frontpage is now inside Publisher in Office 2007. And as you can guess the interface is still rubbish, little buttons every where that have obscure purposes etc. But yes Dreamweaver is miles better. It can test and deliver using it's ftp components.