1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WEI Score So Low For i7-2600?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happy, Mar 24, 2012.

1. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I know it really doesn't matter much about the WEI index, but I thought I would at least get a significantly higher score if I switched my i3-2120 out for a i7-2600. My i3-2120 scored a 7.1 and after doing another test with the new i7-2600 chip, I got the same score of 7.1. Isn't the i7-2600 a significant leap from the i3-2120, so wouldn't the score be significantly different?

Descriptions of my system is on the system specs.

Thanks.

2. Lost Hatter

Lost Hatter

Thanks Received:
    I believe the i3-2120 and that I7-2600 are the same architecture (minus the 3 megs of L3 cache due to the 2 extra cores), and WEI only does a single threaded benchmark (i could be wrong). With a 100Mhz difference between the i3 and i7, the benchmark shouldn't be too different.

But i rarely use that as a benchmark. try 3dmark or Passmark. i bet you see a huge difference between the 2 processors.

Hope this was helpful. Good day

3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    my system in specs for comparison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    WEI is crap....

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Seconded.

WEI is a test that you can run, but it gives you about as much useful information as the placard on the side of a prefab PC. If you want to see a difference on raw compute speed that can be sustained then you need to run Intel burn test. The processor Gflops will be substantially different.

In short, a broken measuring stick gives broken readings. Make sure your test can actually test something correctly.

6. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see.:wtf: This is off topic, but after I switched the CPU from the i3-2120 to i7-2600, I feel that it is making my computer run alot hotter. I have a Corsair 650 TX that is powering my 5 HDDs, 2 80mm fans, and a GTX 460. I reached to my pc and felt around the case and the most noticieble hot spots were near the CPU (the back panel), and the PSU which was quite hot. My question, is it the airflow of the case (which I really don't have)?

Thanks.

Edit: I should add when I play BF3 with the i3, I don't really notice the computer getting hot, but when I play BF3 with the i7, I notice it gets quite hot only playing for about an hour and a half at medium settings.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont turn this into an e-peen thread

yes.

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    WEI is definitely not a reliable "benchmark" I mean mine for instance goes 7.8 across the board until we get to my Hard Drives which gets me a 5.9(apparently RAID 0 made no difference for my score)

9. Albuquerque New Member

Thanks Received:
    Want to know why a certain WinSat score came up a certain way? Run the score from the command line:

Winsat -v cpu
    Winsat -v mem
    Winsat -v d3d
    Winsat -v dwm
    Winsat -v disk
    Winsat -v media
    Winsat -v mfmedia

It will show you ALL the scoring for that subsystem; each one has dozens of indicators. It takes the lowest of all the indicators and makes that lowest score your overall score for that subsystem. Here's my Raptor 150gb at the office:

Code:
    > Run Time 00:00:00.01
    > Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   102.57 MB/s          6.6
    > Disk  Random 16.0 Read                       3.24 MB/s          4.7
    > Responsiveness: Average IO Rate              1.38 ms/IO          7.6
    > Responsiveness: Grouped IOs                  8.55 units          7.4
    > Responsiveness: Long IOs                     2.92 units          7.9
    > Responsiveness: Overall                      24.99 units          7.6
    > Responsiveness: PenaltyFactor                0.0
    > Disk  Sequential 64.0 Write                  112.47 MB/s          6.8
    > Average Read Time with Sequential Writes     5.024 ms          5.9
    > Latency: 95th Percentile                     13.211 ms          5.3
    > Latency: Maximum                             108.995 ms          7.7
    > Average Read Time with Random Writes         6.286 ms          5.6
    > Total Run Time 00:01:25.32
    DUDE! Check that out, my spinning disk scores a 7.9 on Long I/O. SUCK IT SSD FANBOYS! ;) Sure, my raptor has lots of good scores there, but the whole disk gets a 4.7 score because of my random 16.0 read subscore is the lowest on the totem pole. Does it make sense now why your RAID0 still ends up with a 5.9? It's not because your throughput didn't get faster, it's because you 'fixed' the part that wasn't the bottleneck to begin with (ie: seek time.)

As for the usefulness of WEI? When you run it from a command line, it can give you really good information. Unfortunately, most everyone only knows it as the generic scores that you see screenshots of in e-peen contest threads online. In that scenario, it's only useful against itself (ie comparing shelf specs between two like subsystems -- vid versus vid, CPU versus CPU, et al.)

theeldest and INSTG8R say thanks.
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that low score has had me puzzled since I decided to RAID. I mean I went kinda foolish as I made an Array using 2 1TB Caviar Blacks. They are SATA III and are on the Intel SATA III ports so not much more I can do let them go.

Those command lines are pretty handy I will have to try those out Thanks. :toast:

11. bogami

bogami

Thanks Received:
    My score was 7.8 on my sistem and 7.9 on all onle ssd REVODRIVE 3 got 7.8 ? LOL :D

12. Albuquerque New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the command line interface gives you real, usable data versus just some useless number. Microsoft actually did a pretty solid job of benchmarking "things that matter" with WinSat, they just never tell anyone about it ;) The simplification of scores makes sense for the grand majority of people, just not us geeky types!