• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Shuts Down Hard Drive Factory - Just not Enough Demand

D

Deleted member 178884

480gb ssd for os + 6tb x300 for all else. Nothing better - Idiots don't care about hdds then I'll take my money to seagate and Toshiba it's their loss and the same goes for ssds now.

Many factors in play here....

1. PC purchases are way down, folks keeping their machines longer due to a) lack of need to upgrade, b) small incremental performance increase generation to generation and c) cost of GFX cards

2. SSDs are sexy. Yes SSDs give great benchmarks but what do you call the IT Manager at the Fortiune 500 company who submits a proposal to switch all the comapny'ds PCs to SSD storage ? Easy answer ... unemployed. While extremely beneficial in rare niche usages, SSDs have no impact on personal productivity. No legal secretary every typed an extra legal brief. No CAD operator ever laid out an extra room in a building and no gamer ever reached a further save point because they had an SSD. It only can be financially justifies on rendering boxes, video editing and other small segment markets.

3. It really doesn't matter than I can backup 2 TB of files much faster from SSD to SSD than from SSHD to SSHD ... that happens at 3 am while Im sleeping. It really doesn't matter whether a MS Word benchmarkwith 1,134 actions can run much faster on an SSD cause a use has to type at least 1,134 keystrokes in between each one.

4. If you can switch the boot device in a box between SSD, SSHD and HD over 6 weeks and no one notices, you aren't benefitting from having one. In years gone by, we saw enthusiasts using RAID to get their most out of there machines but from a productivity or real life performance standpoint, neither has had an effect. Oh we could prove how much faster it was using benchmarks ... problem was , day to day, we never did any tasks representative of those benchmarks outside very small niche markets.

5. Over the last 7 years, we have had 3 storage device (SSDs + SSHDs) failures, all SSDs. Over the last 5 years we have had no failures. The baseline set up has (1) SSD (Samsung Pro 250 GB) and (1) SSHD (2 TB or more).

6. Reliability of SSDs is well past the shaky initial years, but costs for multi-TB systems is just not competitive yet. But regardless of what you are doing on the PC, again outside those niche markets, productivity is not being impacted by the storage subsystem. I expect that costs will be not worth thinking about within 5 years but I don't see the HD going the way of the floppy disk and zip drive before 2025.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

I guess you've never worked for a large company, because at mine every new PC that is bought comes with an SSD. The cost of a 128GB SSD is comparable to a 500GB HDD when you're buying from an OEM like Dell, and for our IT guys the M.2 form factor is a massive improvement over SATA when it comes to maintenance (no cables, only 1 screw). Plus for people in the standard office-type roles, the smaller capacity of the SDD discourages them from installing crap, so it's a win-win.

As for "no impact on personal productivity"... you forget that giving people nice things makes them appreciate working for you. And yes, there is actually a productivity gain, because the old excuse of "oh I'm making coffee while waiting for my computer to boot" is no longer valid.

SSDs are also pretty much invaluable for tasks that touch a lot of files, such as software development. I have an SSD and HDD in my work PC - the HDD is used for backup purposes, but sometimes I run builds off there, and the difference to the SSD is night and day - it's almost impossible to imagine we used to spend our lives waiting for HDDs.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Idiots don't care about hdds then I'll take my money to seagate and Toshiba it's their loss
What do you mean “idiots don’t care about hdd’s“? You make it sound so personal and juvenile they did this.

It’s a BUSINESS decision based on not selling quite enough to warrant 3 factories. They still have 2 more; HDD’s are still a big part of WD’s business and will be for years to come. As long as there is a demand they will build them.

D

Deleted member 178884

What do you mean “idiots don’t care about hdd’s“? You make it sound so personal and juvenile they did this.

It’s a BUSINESS decision based on not selling quite enough to warrant 3 factories. They still have 2 more; HDD’s are still a big part of WD’s business and will be for years to come. As long as there is a demand they will build them.
They are definitely doing the wrong thing - as everyone needs higher capacity drives the business will move there - i don't see no 3-10tb ssds and when I do they cost more than a kidney and don't sell.

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
They are definitely doing the wrong thing - as everyone needs higher capacity drives the business will move there - i don't see no 3-10tb ssds and when I do they cost more than a kidney and don't sell.

This should tell you everything you need to know:

You can see the clear wipeout of supply from the floods in Q4 2011, and then the sustained drop (to the tune of 30%) from 2014 to 2016. The market has spoken: only datahoarders, enterprise and cloud will accept HDD-based storage, and only because it's cheap. The moment NAND (of any sort, really.. QLC is fine...) reaches 1.5-2x the per bit price of HDDs (currently it's around 4x), expect the HDD industry to completely crash as demand evaporates basically overnight.

Of the 3 remaining, WD and Toshiba are the ones most likely to actually survive, both of em being fab owners. Meanwhile, Seagate doesn't even have an in-house NAND controller (they bought LSI.. then sold them off....), let alone a NAND fab, and I really doubt that Micron is interested in being acquired by Seagate, let alone acquiring Seagate.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
It's kind of a shame that Optane (or simply caching) didn't pick up much even for business. It's invaluable to me. I run a small SSD for the main drive, and a 10TB Seagate with caching. A lot of games get put on the Seagate and while it may not be an SSD, it's a helluva lot better than regular HDD speeds. You get the best of both worlds here. And save some cash. No way in hell am I going to fork out cash for huge SSDs (not that they make them at 10 TB anyways.. or the ones that are 10 TB are rare and for servers or something).

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
It's kind of a shame that Optane (or simply caching) didn't pick up much even for business. It's invaluable to me. I run a small SSD for the main drive, and a 10TB Seagate with caching. A lot of games get put on the Seagate and while it may not be an SSD, it's a helluva lot better than regular HDD speeds. You get the best of both worlds here. And save some cash. No way in hell am I going to fork out cash for huge SSDs (not that they make them at 10 TB anyways.. or the ones that are 10 TB are rare and for servers or something).

Give it 1-2 years and it'll be much more buyable

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Optane is great, but the prices are crazy callous for the moment....

D

Deleted member 178884

This should tell you everything you need to know:

You can see the clear wipeout of supply from the floods in Q4 2011, and then the sustained drop (to the tune of 30%) from 2014 to 2016. The market has spoken: only datahoarders, enterprise and cloud will accept HDD-based storage, and only because it's cheap. The moment NAND (of any sort, really.. QLC is fine...) reaches 1.5-2x the per bit price of HDDs (currently it's around 4x), expect the HDD industry to completely crash as demand evaporates basically overnight.

Of the 3 remaining, WD and Toshiba are the ones most likely to actually survive, both of em being fab owners. Meanwhile, Seagate doesn't even have an in-house NAND controller (they bought LSI.. then sold them off....), let alone a NAND fab, and I really doubt that Micron is interested in being acquired by Seagate, let alone acquiring Seagate.
We'll see how it unfolds - hopefully those hdd factories can meet the supply and demand requirement or competitors will smash through their units shipped and dominate the hdd market.

Caching will catch on a bit thanks to Ryzen and StoreMI. It's a really good start, but they've got to increase the dedicated DRAM amount further in the next motherboard generation and one's after it. It's far too low and DRAM is abundant and even now it's cheap relative to the performance it provides. What I said about the deidcated DRAM amount that can be allocated is even more true with Threadripper/Epyc as well because of the memory channel bandwidth being 2 to 4 times higher thus way more bandwidth advantage to capitalize upon. It's the same scenario with APU's one based on Epyc platform's memory channel bandwidth would really kick the pants off a AM4 one.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Caching will catch on a bit thanks to Ryzen and StoreMI. It's a really good start, but they've got to increase the dedicated DRAM amount further in the next motherboard generation and one's after it. It's far too low and DRAM is abundant and even now it's cheap relative to the performance it provides. What I said about the deidcated DRAM amount that can be allocated is even more true with Threadripper/Epyc as well because of the memory channel bandwidth being 2 to 4 times higher thus way more bandwidth advantage to capitalize upon. It's the same scenario with APU's one based on Epyc platform's memory channel bandwidth would really kick the pants off a AM4 one.

I didn't even think about RAM, but you're right.

And if I had the cash, even a RAM drive seems realistic to me now. My board can hold 128 gigs.. but I'd never use that all of that as just RAM.