1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What caused black screen after XP loading screen?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CarolinaKSU, Nov 8, 2008.

1. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, I came home from work today to find my transfer of the latest Linux build for my PS3 on FileZilla locked my computer up. Not the end of the world, but annoying. Anyway, upon restarting, windows would load and get to the XP loading screen, then disappear, leaving me with a black screen. Nothing, not even the hard drives were doing anything. I tried safe mode, last known good settings, everything. Nothing would let me boot into XP. I ended up doing a repair install with the CD and luckily that worked and I didnt lose anything, however it puzzles me why it would do this. Faulty / dying GPU? Bad display drivers?

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    im thinking currupted display drivers from hardbooting

CarolinaKSU says thanks.
  3. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking that myself too at first, but it seemed like there was more to it. This has happened to me before and eventually it would load after a restart and would at least let me into safe mode. Weird. I'm just glad using the repair install worked so I didnt have to reformat that partition.

4. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the black screen is back. I did a repair install of XP and got everything running again, now after restarting while trying to to reinstall my mobo drivers, it trys to load windows, then the black screen again. This is so annoying i am about to toss the damn thing through the wall. :banghead: :banghead: