1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do you think of this rad?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by unsmart, Jan 26, 2008.

1. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, use a proper radiator. That is a condenser.:rolleyes:
  3. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats kinda what I was thinking:ohwell:
    When I seen it was unbiased[ nether condenser or evaporator] and had 3/8" inlet/outlets I thought maybe it could be used for watercooling. The 8.6'x8"size and 24 passes sounded like a lot of reduction in flow rate but also great cooling. I had two TT80mm rads[ link below] that had 8 3/8" passes[shorter] so I figured the flow resistance would be like having 3 or 4 of these in a loop. I never got around to setting them up so I'm a newb to the whole WC thing.
    Do you think if I cut the passes in half and two lines running through 12 passes each it would reduce the resistance any?
    I will most likely get 2 120mm rads from newegg, just trying to look for other option. I like to DIY stuff when possible.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=KRY&sa=G
  4. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a radiator is a condenser in my book.. same difference.. the other alternative for diy would be a car heater matrix.. if u are in the UK i have some stuff u can have cheap..

where folks are should be in their specs.. it would make life easier sometiimes.. :)

trog
  5. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks trog but I live in the U.S. I do really need to get around to filling out my specs but I'm always changing something.
    So are you saying bad idea, good or in between,I can't really tell from your post.
    This is what I plan on buying if nothing else pops up.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835127086
    I was thinking two of them in this order: pump-rad-cpu-rad-gpu-pump. Would running one dual 120mm rad and splitting the line be better?
    I'm considering a custom case build for this setup so I'm trying to think of layouts.
  6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think but dont 100% know for sure the problem is mostly getting heat from the chip to the block or how much water flow u can get thru the block..

it has to be balanced.. not much point in having huge rads if the block isnt up to it..

so pumping everything thru several blocks in series isnt good.. but it all depends what u need to cool.. i am not really into water cooling to be honest which is why i have some spare stuff laying about..

trog
  7. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    the rad is the main component in dissipating the heat. hence the name "heat exchanger". if you have to have one on the cheap get yourself a chevette H/C or a bonneville H/C.

you will not be dissapointed.

i would not reccomed/use either of the 2 products that you linked

:toast:
  8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the rad or whatever u choose to call it can only dissipate/exchange the heat collected by the block..

it starts with the block.. call that a heat exchanger if u so wish.. cos thats what it is.. if the block aint doing a good job or the pump aint moving enough water thru the block the rad cant do a good job either..

the system has to be balanced.. having said that overkill with the rad will probably make up for deficiencies elsewhere.. :laugh:

trog
  9. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:

you are correct in saying that it is a combinaion of all components but the single major impact on temps is the efficiency/size of the rad.

:toast:
  10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep.. size matters in quite a few things.. he he he

trog
  11. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    That condenser is designed for temps higher then what your PC would output. Look at how large the copper tubing is as it bends towards the aluminum fins. You need narrower tubing in order to cool the heat dispensed from your PC.
  12. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I decided against the rad on Ebay,I emailed the guy and he put it in easy to understand terms. Basically he said it would be like running though 20" of 5/16"ID tubing. Anyway it doesn't fit with the case design I'm thinking of now. I also decided a inline approach is the best way to run the loop. I'm still not sure if I should go with two 120mm rads or one 240mm.
    the two rad setup would offer the most heat dissipation and cooling between blocks but also use more tubing[3/8"], decrease flow by a lot and cost more.
    One 240mm rad would be easiest to setup and the faster flow rate my make up for the heat from the CPU being pushed to the GPU.
    I draw[very poorly] up some layout diagrams using my actual MOBO.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intel igent what would you recommend for a rad? I'm not looking for the cheapest just trying to keep cost around the price of a good HSF like about $50. I started thinking of WC after checking prices on good HSF for my CPU/GPU and it came to around $90. I said "sh*t I have a pump" and so it began:D
    My powerhead 802 pump is 400gph not 320gph like I thought and I guess I was running it in reverse when I tested it on my last rads:eek: It only puts out like 120gph in reverse and I thought my rads where just really restrictive so I sold them for cheap:shadedshu