1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Hardware should I focus more on?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by techguy31, Jun 8, 2011.

1. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Because I am selling some of my parts and trying to save some money, I just plan to sell the z-5500, I was trying to say that I would plug the optical cable via from the motherboard soundcard or the external sound card to the Yamaha receiver and the klipsch speakers.

Wow, your ssd is ridicoulously fast, do you have many programs in it? I ask this because if you have a lot of programs in a ssd or hdd wouldn't the ssd or hdd boot slower?

Thanks again..

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any chance on getting those system specs up?

*Missed the post, you should really put it in your user cp. ;)

3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only have Windows 7 64 bit and a couple of important applications on the SSD array. Most everything else is on my storage drives. I primarily bought the SSD's for OS and work application performance. Even if I put a bunch of files and filled the SSD I don't think it would affect the load times very much. The speed of my setup probably also has to do with the fact that I use a high end hardware PCIE raid card that I normally use for server in my web hosting business. I'm using RAID-0 between the two, and it really flies.

However, before I setup the array I used just one Force 120 and it still booted up just about as fast as it is now. I think a lot of it depends on the quality of the SSD, just like any other drive. Just because it's solid state doesn't mean it's good.

techguy31 says thanks.
  4. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    Your setup now is great. Only the video card is lacking. If your board supports crossfire get twin 6850's. If not, go for a big single card. I wouldn't replace anything else.

5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    didnt read posts but it seems all you need is a 6870 or 6950 and you are good to go

6. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is mostly what the computer would be used for, internet computers are usually small board factors and small case sizes. They do not take up much processing power and usually cost isnt an issue. Gaming computers and high strength work machines usually need a good CPU with multiple cores and a good GPU with powerful aspects. Also with having higher end components you need a more powerful high end power supply. Ram is also another thing you should make out you don't ignore. And of course cooling.

7. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anywho, I would stick with your current CPU, and just upgrade the graphics card. Unless you're like me and don't mind wasting a bunch of money on new crap all the time just keep it. Your processor will handle a 6950/6970+ just fine, and with a healthy overclock it will last you for a few years. Don't drink the sandy bridge koolaid just yet. I would keep your stuff until the new high end intel processors come out.

8. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    All that stuff looks great... just upgrade the video card. 5870, 6870, 6970, or Nvidia equivalent like a GTX570/580 are all great choices.

9. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Alright guys will take your consideration, Thanks...

10. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh and if you're selling your Z5500 for sure, send me a PM I might be interested in it. I've been looking for something to replace my Gigawatts G550W. It's a convenient system for my office because the rear speakers are on a wireless receiver, but the surround quality isn't top notch.

11. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Will Do.

12. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you are quit good with gigabyte p55, corei5 750 has been a pretty well processing unit by my experience, combine it with an OC 460gtx, the ssd is a gr8 option but if your really looking forward to a budget limit a 64mb cache drive isn't bad for gaming prospective as well, make sure you dont dont drop your ram size less then 4gigz,,,iv got 8gb vengeance now and im tell ya 4gb is enough for the kill, 1600mhz or 2000mhz does'nt really matter if your not an OC guy cause the processor may only support upto 1333mhz by default